IGNORED

What is your biggest pet-peeve in Golf?

rckwd
Note: This thread is 2514 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played a round this afternoon... And they hooked four singles up to make a foursome.  No big deal, I often get some good laughs out of meeting new people at the golf course.  Like a guy a few weeks back, every putt - he putted one handed - and he only looked at the hole.  He would sit there for what seemed like minutes - just staring at the hole, and would putt with one hand.  I never saw him make a putt over 2 or 3ft all day. LOL

But to answer the OP's question... One of the guys I got matched up with today is the type that gets under my skin.... He was the guy that compliments you after every shot...  'Good Shot!' 'Great Shot!' 'Helluva Shot!' after every freaking shot!  Really buddy?  You have to say something after every shot?? WTF!?

On the very first hole - it was a Par 5, and first ball off the tee - I block right - the wind is blowing and thankfully the range runs down the right hand side - my ball deflects off the net which separates the first hole and the range - and gets thrown back into play.  As soon as I hit the ball off the tee - he's like "NICE SHOT!"  - as the ball carries 30yds right of the fairway.  I just chuckled and asked him if he even saw the ball and he said 'No, but it sounded good!'  Then I scramble the rest of the hole and have ~ 8ft putt for par.  The ball rims out... And the first thing he says is "Wow, great putt!"  I stopped him and told him to only say great putt when I make it.  Hahhaha  Of course, he forgot that word of advice as he continued to do it for the rest of the round.  Unbelievable.  I wanted to choke the guy towards the end of the day...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played with a guy today who was a bit eccentric. Complained about every shot and then would not stop talking the ENTRIE ROUND and he was SOOOOOOOOOO SLOOOWWWWWW. I've never had anybody that I disliked playing with as much as this guy because normally I get along very well with people I meet on the course. I understand if people get mad because they're having a bad day. Never really bothered me but this guy was just complaining about every single shot and kept talking about how he used to be such a better player and just sucks now. And like I said he talked sooo much, which wouldn't bother me if we were talking about actual subjects, but we weren't! We were talking about his freaking golf game! Then there was the slow play. I mean good lord. It'd be his turn to hit and he'd just be standing there talking. Shut up and hit the ball!

913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

i20 17, 20, and 23 hybrid 

AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

For everyone who hates slow play, what is a good time duration between shots?  Let's say you're pretty close to another player in the fairway.  What should be the time, contact-to-contact, between your shot and your playing partner's.  I've timed my shots at about 25 to 35 seconds between his making contact and me making contact.

That includes me standing behind the ball lining it up, one practice swing, step up and pull the trigger.

Maybe a little longer on the tee box because you have to find your spot and tee it up.

Does that sound reasonable?  Anything over one minute is too long.

Occam's razor

If you're already at your ball and just waiting for him to hit (which isn't always the case, nor possible), then 30-60 seconds seems reasonable.  I probably take closer to 30 seconds in that scenario, because while I'm waiting to hit, I'm choosing my line, club and swing thoughts.  I'll make sure to stop my practice swing and other movements once the other guy addresses his ball for the actual swing.

Some people take longer in those cases because they watch too much pro golf and while they're waiting to hit, they're looking at the other player and maybe talking to somebody instead of figuring out which club they're going to use, etc.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Yesterday I was playing with some guys from work. One of them claims to shoot in the 70's when no one is around. But hasn't broke 80 since I recently started playing with him. Anyhow, yesterday I got off to a pretty good start with 2 birdies on the front 9 making the turn at a 41. Where on the other hand, he got off to bad start with several balls off the tee going OB. We start the back the 9, I have a few bad shots which gives him a shot at catching me. So he hits another ball really close to OB, and walks up to find his ball OB and then states "I'm playing this shot". I just shook my head when he walks away with a bogey, when it should've been 6 or 7.

To top it off, on 2 holes he was chipping onto the green and hit it within about 2 feet, so he proceeds to walk up and putt out and misses them both, then he rakes the ball back to his original spot, marks it and then lets me putt. The he putts the ball in hole as if nothing happened and says I got par! Oh lets not talk about the tap-ins he missed and acted like they were good.

I guess what bothers me the most is that he claims a certain handicap, and when I am beating him, which usually happens all the time now. He will try and get in my head to screw me up so he can catch me.

Phillip

Play fast. Don't cheat. Don't whine, sulk or rage. Respect the course. Respect the other players. Take your hat off and shake hands.

Be welcome anywhere.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

The one that bothers me is the guy with the sin wave emotional state.

He will start out fine but fluctuates between giddy and fuming as the round progresses.

Another thing, if you are the same skill level as me (my brother) please don't get super pissed at your shot that lands on the green.

For a high handicapper I think hitting the green from 150 out is pretty damn good, even the pros don't hit it in the hole from there.

Don't get mad because you aren't as good as the pros.

Oh, but here is the one from Friday that REALLY PISSED ME OFF.

I understand wanting fast play, but don't yell at me to hurry up when I'm putting.

This jerk was on the fairway on a par 5 and I was on the green lining up a par putt (for me that's a pretty big deal!) and he screams out for me to hurry up.

I'm not your kid, don't treat me like I am, even though I am 16 that doesn't mean that you shouldn't treat me like an adult.

I made sure to linger long enough to watch him top his ball and have it roll like 20 feet, I just smiled and waved at him.

I don't like it when a really bad player tells me what I'm doing wrong. Even if they're completely right.

It's irrational but I guess a pet peeve is allowed to be

BTW really bad player meaning cannot break 100 because I'm not good either and I do not by any means consider myself to be good

Worst thing I can think of, other than really slow play, is when someone takes/makes a bunch of cellphone calls on the course. It seems to be rare now but in the early days it was bad bad bad. "Sin wave emotional state" .... Nice, I'll have to remember that.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by PhillyMac

Yesterday I was playing with some guys from work. One of them claims to shoot in the 70's when no one is around. But hasn't broke 80 since I recently started playing with him. Anyhow, yesterday I got off to a pretty good start with 2 birdies on the front 9 making the turn at a 41. Where on the other hand, he got off to bad start with several balls off the tee going OB. We start the back the 9, I have a few bad shots which gives him a shot at catching me. So he hits another ball really close to OB, and walks up to find his ball OB and then states "I'm playing this shot". I just shook my head when he walks away with a bogey, when it should've been 6 or 7.

To top it off, on 2 holes he was chipping onto the green and hit it within about 2 feet, so he proceeds to walk up and putt out and misses them both, then he rakes the ball back to his original spot, marks it and then lets me putt. The he putts the ball in hole as if nothing happened and says I got par! Oh lets not talk about the tap-ins he missed and acted like they were good.

I guess what bothers me the most is that he claims a certain handicap, and when I am beating him, which usually happens all the time now. He will try and get in my head to screw me up so he can catch me.

you cant fault a guy for doing the "gimme" putt for a 2 footer in a public course It's actually good etiquitte to tap it and pick it up.

If he wants to take all of those shots and knock down his handicap, that's just fine. When it comes to a match play he will get destroyed, which is the ONLY time handicap matters.

G10 Driver
G10 4-wd
G15 7-wd
X-18 Proseries 3i-PW
X-Tour 52d gap wedge X-Tour 58d lob/sand wedge Dual-force Rossie II (mallet head) putter Pro-V1x only (baby!)Play at a private NJ g.c.

Originally Posted by blue3715

you cant fault a guy for doing the "gimme" putt for a 2 footer in a public course It's actually good etiquitte to tap it and pick it up.

If he wants to take all of those shots and knock down his handicap, that's just fine. When it comes to a match play he will get destroyed, which is the ONLY time handicap matters.

No you can't fault a guy for walking up and putting the 2 footer in to speed play along, I will do it myself. But I do fault him when he walks to putt it for par, misses the putt, then rakes the ball back and then marks it and then lets me putt out. Then he putts it again and makes the putt on 2nd attempt and said he made par.

Phillip

One of my golfing pals wants to stand about 1/2 an inch away from me when it's my shot. Wouldn't be so bad if his breath wasn't stinking

In the bag:

R11s Driver

R9 3 Wood

R9 5 Wood

TM 2009 Hybrid

MP59 5 - PW

Vokey SM 4 50

Vokey Sm 4 60

Vokey SM 4 54

Ping D66 Putter

Players that never shut up.  Played with this one guy twice (happenstance) and he's a salesman (no offense to salesmen). He isn't very good, but insists on telling everyone else what they are doing wrong. "Hank Haney says throw your belt buckle", "You lifted your head" etc.. But then he has these stories that he tells before he gets to the tee box, when he gets to the tee box, after he practice swings, when he's addressing the ball. He will stop and walk back over and continue his story at everyone of those points. I'm like "Come on man, hit the shot!", which he does..into the next fairway. He also liked to correct people when they are about to swing or putt. i thought one guy in our foursome was going to tackle him into the bunker.

Just played a round on Saturday with a guy who had a famous line... 'You made solid contact!'  Even if the ball was 50yds left or right... Didn't matter - if you hit it hard - he would say it. LOL  Please stop talking!!!

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Just played a round on Saturday with a guy who had a famous line... 'You made solid contact!'  Even if the ball was 50yds left or right... Didn't matter - if you hit it hard - he would say it. LOL  Please stop talking!!!

Seriously. That's the new "guy giving advice". It's now the "Guy feeling sorryfor you so he makes an observation to make you feel better." Like a pep talk. It never helps.

Originally Posted by 1par2win

The other thing is when someone is constantly searching their pocket for a ball marker and when they do finally find one tees, receipts, cash, whatever spills out of their pocket and now they are chasing the damn things because the wind took it.

We must have played together!  I've got one of those bags with everything in it, yardage books, 30 balls of various quality, 50 tees, plenty of cash, 3 gloves, tapes, sun glasses...  but I never seem to have a ball market with me!

1) non-ready golf guy

2) crappy multiple practice swing guy - the one who spends three minutes taking one smooth practice swing after another.  then he finally addresses his ball and hacks at it like Charles Barkley

3) club thrower/smasher guy - it's just embarrassing and unbecoming of a golfer.  it's all the worse when this is a crap golfer, which it usually is.

4) patronizing guy - played with a guy that would clap and hoot and holler whenever a woman golfer would hit the ball in the air.

5) ball searcher guy - the guy who spends 10 minutes looking for balls whenever you come across a hazard...and I'm not talking about looking for his own lost ball...just others to fill up his bag.

I enjoy playing with pretty much everyone else.

The guy that takes his 4 year old to the range to learn golf (nothing wrong with that i guess)

but then starts cheering, whooping, shouting, high fiving every time the kid makes contact with the ball

im all for encouragement, and getting behind his son, but STFU man im concentrating!!

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Note: This thread is 2514 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!