IGNORED

What is your biggest pet-peeve in Golf?

rckwd
Note: This thread is 2521 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

there's been a running theme the last couple of times out for me of huge groups. we're talking 6-10 golfers all playing the same hole at the same time, and not just that but a few weeks ago a guy working in the clubhouse buzzed past me to join a group of 6 in front of me.

and when i finally get ahead of the group? there's a group of 6 on the next hole.

i understand you want to make money, but letting groups of more than 4 out at a time just grinds the course to a halt. it shouldn't take a single golfer an hour to get through 3 holes and waiting on a teebox for 20 minutes a hole does do anything for my swing.

other than slow play/big groups i don't really have too many complaints. i played with a scratch golfer who was making fun of my putter, as if to say my clubs are too good for me, but it was the beginning of the season and he wasn't in shape and started loosing all his shots left as he got tired around the 14th where i got into a groove and nearly par-ed out the course. it was nice to ask his score those last few holes.

most guys i get grouped with are just weekend duffers like me so i don't have that problem too much.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

I particularly hate it when my partner will say something along the lines of "good shot, perfect" when it's fading into the tree line... -.-

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

New playing partner has a thing for calling shots "good" on the green. On a long par 4, stuck it 3 inches from the the pin. Walking by to tend the pin he called it good and tapped it back to me. I hit it from 200 yards out to within inches. I know it's good but want the satisfaction of at least seeing how close it was, let alone putt it in!

My pet peeve is when the same exact thread is re-incarnated over and over again............LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

• 3 years later...

Piggy Backing on the lost ball thread, I thought I would relate a recent exchange I had on the golf course. My dad and I were playing a course for the first time and we were partnered with a nice older gentleman who had clearly played the course many times over the years. From time to time, he would give us some local knowlege about blind shots, distances, etc.

Me (after hitting my drive wayward left on the 8th hole): It looks a litte tight over there. Do think it will be ok?

Him: Oh yeah, it actually opens up there past that tree. Plenty of room. You'll be fine.

Me: I'm not sure, I think I'm gonna play a provisional

Him (a little bit louder now): No, no, you don't have to do that. I saw where you went, we'll find your ball.

Me (skeptically): Ok.

(We approach to find my ball 5 yards out of bounds on the wrong side of a barbed wire fence)

Him (a little sheepish now): Oh wow, I guess you hit it a bit farther than the guys I play with.

Shame on me for not listening to my original instincts, but what's the deal with guys who actively try to discourage you from playing a provisional? I've had it happen to me a few times over the past several years. Most of the time I have the good sense to ignore them, but the few times that I don't, I usually end up regretting it.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What's worse than a slow group ahead, is playing with slow players in my group.  It's hard for me to be 'fun' and polite in that situation.

And... I don't like it when players take mulligans.

It's a toss up between 1) 3 off the tee or 2) trying to play safe by chipping back out into the fairway and messing up to where you are in the same or worse situation.

It's a toss up between 1) 3 off the tee or 2) trying to play safe by chipping back out into the fairway and messing up to where you are in the same or worse situation.

I'm not sure that those are quite the sort of peeves that the OP intended (he was more going for things that others do that piss you off), because anyone hates doing either one.  However, in the interest of discussion, your #2 is very irritating. Punch out beautifully from being dead under a tree and hit it too hard all the way across the fairway in to a bush on the other side - I'm not a club thrower, but if I was that would do it. :pound:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Tees left buried in the tee box. One place was so bad I felt like I was hitting off a bridge.

I like this so I don't have to scrounge for a tee lol.

• Upvote 1

I like this so I don't have to scrounge for a tee lol.

Never thought of it that way, lol.

Good attitude.

People who have to answer any call that comes in during a round and will not cut it short, playing music out loud has to be one of the most annoying non etiquette things someone can do on a golf course I see people who are lousy golfers act like they own the place do this crap.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Mine is other players not helping me watch my ball from the tee when I help them every time, especially if the sun is shining right at the tee box. And also not repairing divots but mainly ball marks on the green. It's not hard to do. People are just lazy and it annoys the heck out of me.  I always try to leave a course in better shape than I found it.

In just 15 years from when I played to starting back up this spring I am astonished at the state of affairs of people not fixing ball marks. You'd maybe see a few badly repaired ones and maybe one or two unrelated marks. Now the greens look like Swiss cheese. I wouldn't be surprised if only like 20% of golfers repair ball marks nowadays.
  • Upvote 1

Playing behind the oblivious golfer who has learnt every preshoot routine from watching pro golf and incorporates a pro golfers fastidious to their own shot selection. Who when playing a straight long Par 4 with no dogleg water or bunkers in reach off the tee will... Have to be told it is their honour and after putting away their course book in which they have been marking their stats from the previous hole will walk on to the teebox, take course book back out,find the correct hole,assess picture & compare picture to real life, walk from yardage marking on teebox to tee markers,deduct/add yardage difference.pluck grass and throw once..twice... Three times a charm.return to bag, reach for driver but pause to briefly consider 3wood not because he would ever take it but considering it allows him believe he has good course managment. Grab driver in a cavalier manner. Remove cover, return to teebox, proceed to rear of teebox, visualise shot.pluck and throw grass.put on glove, approach tee markers. Reach into pocket and discover ball/tee or both are missing. Return to bag, search in bag, return to rear of teebox. Revisualise shot, pluck and throw grass to ensure wind direction/strength hasn't changed.take one... two... three practice swings minimum.approach tee markers, Place ball on tee,take 2 practice swing minimum, stand behind ball for final visualisation, One final practice swing maybe two.stands over the ball double checking feet alignment and grip. Final waggle Visualise Deeeeep breath and Golf Shot. Of course there is one thing worse then playing behind this guy and that's playing with him. Knowing the whole world is waiting behind you watching with eyes full of hate.

Note: This thread is 2521 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!