Jump to content
IGNORED

What is your biggest pet-peeve in Golf?


Note: This thread is 1442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

Quote:

-The guy who ignores golf etiquette...I have a friend who, while putting, putts first and finishes until he holes it regardless of if he was furthest from the hole to start or not...all of us have to wait until he finishes.

I don't allow that. I have said to total strangers, 'excuse me, I'm away'.

How about the guy who always hits and then goes up to his ball before you hit so that he is pretty much in your field of view the entire round?

And since I have joined our local CC, I am really getting pissed at people that don't replace their divots on MY course.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think that first paragraph is great and perfect.  Especially reciprocating with advice. you used the words "fairway metal" - I take back the nice thing I just said

Looking back through some of these threads, seems like a lot of folks get pissed off by a lot of stuff, and some guys are pissed if X happens, while others are pissed if X doesn't happen. --I h

No, because that would be improper grammar. Sorry, couldn't resist. :D It struck me as odd but I've gotten used to it. What actually happens is they'll list all the things they do wrong and

The guy who gets far to full of himself is one that makes me want to start fighting them. One of my friends is like this when we hit the range, and it completely screws my game up because it makes me so annoyed.

Also the person who simply doesn't follow golf etiquette to any extent. It won't ruin my day, but I feel that it should be common knowledge if you are going to play at a course (of course there are extremely rare occasions that you can't get THAT mad)

As for people who take to many swings, plays extremely slow or fast, they don't really bother me. In my eyes, do what you gotta do to play your game. Of course there is a limit. Don't do 15 practice swings, or make a single hole take an hour.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by JJLinn

-The guy who gives you "lessons" without you asking for them...so annoying as I already have enough in my head about my swing.



This, by a mile.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I also get slightly annoyed at the guy who has hit his drive into my fairway...and then stands there 10 feet from his ball while I hit my drive.  That, or he will go through his whole practice routine while making me wait it out so he "can get going".

If you know your ball is on another hole...as you're driving up..check the tee box. If you see someone about to play..then just wait on your hole until they've hit and then drive over!

Another pet peeve I was reminded of during my last roung...ball hawks.  Not the ones in your group that look for balls in the weeds while they are moving through a hole..but the people who pick up any ball they see laying on the course without any regard that it might be someones ball in play!  My group hit our tee shots on the 9th hole which runs parallel to the 1st.  There was a strong wind and my friend lost his usual fade to a biggg slice.  The guy playing one SEES us tee off...not to mention the ball ended up landing about 20 yards from HIS tee box yet he still picked the ball up on his way down the 1st hole.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by Paradox

Another pet peeve I was reminded of during my last roung...ball hawks.  Not the ones in your group that look for balls in the weeds while they are moving through a hole..but the people who pick up any ball they see laying on the course without any regard that it might be someones ball in play!  My group hit our tee shots on the 9th hole which runs parallel to the 1st.  There was a strong wind and my friend lost his usual fade to a biggg slice.  The guy playing one SEES us tee off...not to mention the ball ended up landing about 20 yards from HIS tee box yet he still picked the ball up on his way down the 1st hole.


I HATE THIS!!!!!!  I can't tell you how many times I have hit my ball into the rough at the top of a hill between two holes and my ball is gone because some jerk picks it up.  I've actually hit the ball and watched from the tee some guy just bend over in his cart and snag it.  And when I go to tell him that is my ball, he has the audacity to say "are you sure?"  God that pisses me off!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guy who plays "Never-Ready Golf".  I have a good friend who plays like this, he's always last to tee off on any box, and yet he's never ready to hit when it's his turn.  And on the green, he has no idea that he's away, constantly waiting for somebody to tell him it's his turn to play.  I think he does it out of deference, like he's afraid to violate the rules and play out of turn, but after a time I feel like a nagging old lady constantly telling him it's his turn to play while I stand over my putt or approach.

And how about "Par 5 in two Guy", who "belts" his tee shot 200 down the middle, and then wants to wait while the group in front of him clears the green from 280?

Ball-Hawks are a frequent nemesis, of course, as is "Guy Who Can't Put the Flagstick In Correctly".  I mean, is it really that hard to make sure the flag stick is all the way in before you walk off the hole?

Link to post
Share on other sites


Oh, and I forgot one more:  "What club did you hit" guy.  This guy is competing with you, and just wants to know how far you can hit your 7-iron (for example), or even better, waits to tee off on the tricky par 3 (even if it's his tee) so he can get an advantage of knowing your club selection.

Originally Posted by carrx

Guy who plays "Never-Ready Golf".  I have a good friend who plays like this, he's always last to tee off on any box, and yet he's never ready to hit when it's his turn.  And on the green, he has no idea that he's away, constantly waiting for somebody to tell him it's his turn to play.  I think he does it out of deference, like he's afraid to violate the rules and play out of turn, but after a time I feel like a nagging old lady constantly telling him it's his turn to play while I stand over my putt or approach.

And how about "Par 5 in two Guy", who "belts" his tee shot 200 down the middle, and then wants to wait while the group in front of him clears the green from 280?

Ball-Hawks are a frequent nemesis, of course, as is "Guy Who Can't Put the Flagstick In Correctly".  I mean, is it really that hard to make sure the flag stick is all the way in before you walk off the hole?



Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is people that can't phone ahead for food when in my group.

On my course, which is always busy there is a board with a phone number on the 7th hole so by the turn your food is ready for pick up.

I still have a friend that insists he doesn't know what he wants until hole 9 so we wait around for 10 mins while they prepare it and there are groups waiting to play through

Bugs the sh1t out of me

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by trickymicky69

Mine is people that can't phone ahead for food when in my group.

On my course, which is always busy there is a board with a phone number on the 7th hole so by the turn your food is ready for pick up.

I still have a friend that insists he doesn't know what he wants until hole 9 so we wait around for 10 mins while they prepare it and there are groups waiting to play through

Bugs the sh1t out of me


LOL! Yes, this is a definite. Does the menu change quite frequently? I play with someone who acts like they have a new menu every week!

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by JJLinn

-The guy who ignores golf etiquette...I have a friend who, while putting, putts first and finishes until he holes it regardless of if he was furthest from the hole to start or not...all of us have to wait until he finishes.



That's just wrong. Why not say anything to him? Something to the tune of "Hey shithead, you're supposed to wait". That said, we do have a "putt when you're ready" rule with our group. For instance, if you're on the green already and the guy who is farthest just chipped on, just putt instead of making him rush to get his putter and line up. Same with tee'ing off. If you're ready and the guy who should technically be up next is still in the cart or whatever, tee up and go. It speeds things a long and no one seems to mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest pet peeve is when playing with someone who's obviously not having fun on the course (usually the over analytical hyper-competitive weekend golfer who can't understand why he's hit bad shot after bad shot) and their joykill attitude makes it that much harder for you to enjoy your time on the course.

Link to post
Share on other sites

'Not sure if it was mentioned it, but I cannot stand the guy that waits for the green to clear on the second shot of every damn par 5 and tees of short part 4.  I have no problem with this if the person is actually good, but more likely than not, their justification for waiting is that they think they can hit a 300 yd drive or got 275 with their 3 wood or maybe hit one that far once on at a drving range, but not once in an actual round do they put it near the green.  Best case scenario is they waste time for what was a decent layup, but more often than not they shank it b/c they waited too long to hit the ball and then  are still away....makes me want to scream "for the love of god just take a hybrid and leave yourself a wedge!!!!!!"

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by msbeebe

LOL! Yes, this is a definite. Does the menu change quite frequently? I play with someone who acts like they have a new menu every week!



you are right on the money there!

menu hasn't changed in three years

Link to post
Share on other sites

I play with the same group every week, we are all close friends. 3 of us tell the truth, then we have the "golf liar", none of us are very good, all shoot mid 90's on a good day, but the golf liar hacks his way up the wrong fairway, 3 putts and declares a bogey. we all watched you slice your tee shot, chip out of the trees, duff two approach shots and 3 putt...........

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by carrx

Oh, and I forgot one more:  "What club did you hit" guy.  This guy is competing with you, and just wants to know how far you can hit your 7-iron (for example), or even better, waits to tee off on the tricky par 3 (even if it's his tee) so he can get an advantage of knowing your club selection.

+1 Whenever we are on the tee box for a par 3, I always get asked "what club you using?" Then, if I hit it short, or long, my friend changes his club. We've always hit differently, why would he pick the same club? Not to mention I don't always hit my irons as flush as can be. Makes no sense to me.

Also, when nobody pulls the pin out, so I have to go do it. It happened this Sunday. We were playing and I had around a 20 footer for birdie. My friend had just chipped on with his third shot to about 10 feet...and he didn't pull the pin. And you can take a guess as to who puts the pin back in every hole...

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by pidge rgj

I play with the same group every week, we are all close friends. 3 of us tell the truth, then we have the "golf liar", none of us are very good, all shoot mid 90's on a good day, but the golf liar hacks his way up the wrong fairway, 3 putts and declares a bogey. we all watched you slice your tee shot, chip out of the trees, duff two approach shots and 3 putt...........



We have one of those too! I love asking him what he got. He'll act like he's counting and then say "bogey?" Then we'll say "no way you got a bogey." Then he replies "oh wait, 7..." haha.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel you guys on all of these pet peeves. Its just kind of sucks when its your significant other. My wife who I love to death can sometimes take me out of my game because she sets up to the ball, backs away, take 3 practice swings,  line up again, adjusts herself, and then top the ball.  Every shot. I mean, when she connects, look out. 210 down the middle. But when she is off, it is too slow. I've been thinking of a way to help her come up with a better preshot routine that will speed up her play.

When it comes to hitting par 5's in two. One of my pet peeves is when I go for my second shot on a par 5 and my buddy stops me from hitting because someone is on the green and they think I can hit my 3 wood 280. Doing it once in a while is one thing, but I dont remember the last time I consistently hit my 3 wood anywhere over 260. That sometimes throws me off when Im ready to hit. I usually endup  screwing up the shot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 1442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • i would suggest a more lofted fairway wood or hybrid since a 3 wood needs a good lie to be hit off the fairway.  If you are in the rough or in a bad lie, then the 6 iron would be your only choice.  A 5 wood might be shorter but is more flexible and adaptable in the types of lies you can play it from.  The iron for me would be anything from a 6 to 8 iron depending on your comfort and distance.  The wedge you should consider whether you can play a slightly less lofted wedge, like a gap wedge maybe.  However, the less loft you have the more skill you need in playing different shots.  Hitting a sand wedge is easier but it does mean most of your shots around and close to the green will be high lofted shots. The putter is the one club where I question whether you truly need it.  If you can putt with something like the wood/hybrid in your bag, that gives you far greater options and flexibility.  However, it would need practice since we rarely putt with any other club. In my case a 4 club choice would be 4 hybrid, 7 iron, PW and SW/LW depending on course conditions.  I would putt with the hybrid and use that for most tee shots.  On my home course, there are maybe two holes where I couldn't reach a green in regulation with those clubs.   Essentially long par 4's where I need to hit driver off the tee.
    • Are the 512 replies to this topic about Rory being overrated or has this become a Rory Catch all topic? If the latter, the topic title should maybe reflect it. Good to see him win again. His first since 2019. 2020 wasn’t his best year and an up-and-down 2021 so far with missing the cut one week and being top 10 the next.  But that has been Rory all along and maybe what spurred this topic: his inconsistent performance. One week he’s hitting it as well as anyone has and the next he’s out of it and struggling. His talent is undeniable, but inconsistency is keeping him down.
    • I'm not an expert but the swing in the video seemed like you did not bring the upper body around quickly enough. Is it possible your focus on not firing the shoulder right away is causing too much lag there? Swing is about tempo so too slow can be an error just like too fast.  
    • I will be competing in a 4-club tournament in a few weeks. I'm leaning toward the following choices: 3-wood -- I usually hit it about 215 but I'm hoping to choke down and swing easier to hit it under 200 6-iron -- for all shots 90 yards to 160 sand wedge -- for all shots under 90 yards  putter -- I don't think I could putt with anything else. I personally think this should be required in order to protect the greens, but that is not the case.  Any thoughts on different or better choices?   
    • Day 510: Did some weight/pressure shot drills in my office at work without a club. Did more takeaway/backswing work at home, and hit some foam balls at slow speed incorporating backswing and weight/pressure shift elements. 
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. dhen9
      dhen9
      (43 years old)
    2. Dormie1360
      Dormie1360
      (65 years old)
    3. GolferLee
      GolferLee
      (37 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...