IGNORED

What is your biggest pet-peeve in Golf?

rckwd
Note: This thread is 2522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by pidge rgj

I play with the same group every week, we are all close friends. 3 of us tell the truth, then we have the "golf liar", none of us are very good, all shoot mid 90's on a good day, but the golf liar hacks his way up the wrong fairway, 3 putts and declares a bogey. we all watched you slice your tee shot, chip out of the trees, duff two approach shots and 3 putt...........

I had a friend like this years ago.  The first hole on our course was a par five, and invariably, he'd say "put me down for a seven".

Really?  You hit seven shots before you got to the trees on the left that start at 350 yards out!  And, that's not counting the 'practice' swings where you completely missed the ball.  How about I just put a big fat 'X'?

Of course, I was the only person with him when he made his first, actual birdie.  No one believed me.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looking back through some of these threads, seems like a lot of folks get pissed off by a lot of stuff, and some guys are pissed if X happens, while others are pissed if X doesn't happen.

--I hate it when people take time on the greens.  Do you really need to read the putt--it's straight uphill.  Just hit it already!

--I hate it when people don't take their time on the greens.  Read the putt instead of just whacking it, then whacking it again, then whacking it yet again!

--I hate it when people think they're sooo good.

--I hate it when people suck and don't realize it.

--I hate it when people suck, know it, and don't care.

--I hate walkers.

--I hate riders.

--I hate people who hate walkers.

--Don't talk to your ball.

--Don't talk to my ball!

--Friggin say something already!!!

What I'm really taking from this thread is that TST should not host a golf tournament.  We'd all kill each other.

• Upvote 2

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Does "lesson guy" refer to the guy in front of your group getting a "playing lesson" from the club pro and slowing your group up?

They don't let people play through?

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Does "lesson guy" refer to the guy in front of your group getting a "playing lesson" from the club pro and slowing your group up?

They don't let people play through?

Brandon

I think they're talking about the guy who tries to coach you through your round, and he isn't even that much better.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by dsc123

As much as I don't like slow play, I think the speedsters are worse.

I got paired up with two guys this weekend one of which was furious that he got stuck with a walker.  I offered to leave, but then he apologized and insisted that I stay with him.  "Its easter" he says, and he was nice enough after that.  But even though I'm fast enough to keep up I feel rushed and play poorly as a result.  He shoots a double and I birdie the first hole but as soon as I hit a wayward shot on the second I feel like I need to prove to this guy that I can play quick.  I completely fell apart.

Then there's the guy who keeps offering me rides.  Its a nice gesture, but I prefer the exercise

Was this the first tee time of the day?  Unless it's the first starting time and they intend to fly through 18holes in 2hrs, their attitude is misguided. I can speak from experience.   I was a die-hard walker for 15years, but riding for the past 6-7, but that's besides the point.

As a walker,  I could definitely feel a bad vibe sometimes when I got paired with riders and 'I IGNORED IT!' ...you should do the same!!  I ignored it because I knew their dread was unfounded.  I brushed it off and didn't let it bother me because I knew I'd probably be waiting on them anyway. (not to mention the group we were following) The bad vibe never lasted long once the obvious became clear.  I think some riders feel this way because they don't know any better.......I repeat, don't let it bother you.  After 1-2 holes....all will be cool.

OFFERED RIDES:

I always preferred getting paired with a 3-some because of the empty seat!!  LOL.....IE, it's convenient to hitch a ride from tee-to-green on par 3's and if there was a long walk from Green to the next tee.   I didn't mind......

If a guy offered me to "throw on" ....I obviously declined because I was walking for a reason.  ....but I never minded riding to par3 greens.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by trickymicky69

Mine is people that can't phone ahead for food when in my group.

On my course, which is always busy there is a board with a phone number on the 7th hole so by the turn your food is ready for pick up.

I still have a friend that insists he doesn't know what he wants until hole 9 so we wait around for 10 mins while they prepare it and there are groups waiting to play through

Bugs the sh1t out of me

LOL....slow people at the turn are killers!!   My home course has pre-made sammys/dogs/brats ready.....so there is no need to order ahead unless you want something special...but it you do....ORDER THE DAMN THING IN ADVANCE!  I actually prefer a special order sandwich, but I always call it in so it's waiting when we get there.

Which leads me to the all-time thing that makes me go insane........is being paired with the group who decide to stop for a sit-down meal at the turn!!  OMG....this will cause a vein in my forehead to pop!!   When it happens, I am looking to ditch them as quickly as possible!!  If I know there is a 2 or 3'some anywhere remotely close our playing position....I ditch.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I've been a public course player my entire life so not much bothers me but there is one thing.

The thing that does bother me though is "the group in front of me that refuses to hit".   You know the group, they won't tee off until the group in front of them if 400 yards away an they NEVER hit a second shot on a par 5 until the green is clear.  Worth noting, there isn't a person in this group that's capable of hitting a 250 yard shot on their best day but they insist on waiting anyway.  They're not playing slow, they're playing stupid.

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

Originally Posted by GolfBear

I've been a public course player my entire life so not much bothers me but there is one thing.

The thing that does bother me though is "the group in front of me that refuses to hit".   You know the group, they won't tee off until the group in front of them if 400 yards away an they NEVER hit a second shot on a par 5 until the green is clear.  Worth noting, there isn't a person in this group that's capable of hitting a 250 yard shot on their best day but they insist on waiting anyway.  They're not playing slow, they're playing stupid.

There is a cheap course where they don't have a starter in the afternoons, so it's "start when you want." The first hole is a drivable  dog leg par 4 if you can hit it over a group of trees, we usually go for it. Whenever we play, our group waits until the green is clear. That way we get space between the group in front of us, and if we get close to the green, we won't hit them. It always seems like the people behind us are so anxious to tee off, they barely wait until we are on the green. This always makes me mad since it usually results in the group stand in the fairway waiting while you putt. If people treated it like a par 3, the spacing between the groups would be a lot better.

Originally Posted by MacGregor9

Quote:

Originally Posted by GolfBear

There is a cheap course where they don't have a starter in the afternoons, so it's "start when you want." The first hole is a drivable  dog leg par 4 if you can hit it over a group of trees, we usually go for it. Whenever we play, our group waits until the green is clear. That way we get space between the group in front of us, and if we get close to the green, we won't hit them. It always seems like the people behind us are so anxious to tee off, they barely wait until we are on the green. This always makes me mad since it usually results in the group stand in the fairway waiting while you putt. If people treated it like a par 3, the spacing between the groups would be a lot better.

Sounds like #2 at Alberta Springs (local track). If you linger in bomber's landing area, you'd better wear a helmet!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Let's be clear, I'm not suggesting that they hit into people.   I'd just prefer they not wait for them to get to two clubs away before they hit.

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

Originally Posted by trickymicky69

Mine is people that can't phone ahead for food when in my group.

Another of mine is people who think that a round of golf includes food other than what you carry in your bag like a banana or a muesli bar or something similar. People stopping after 9 to eat is another reason why the 5 hour round is the norm.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Another of mine is people who think that a round of golf includes food other than what you carry in your bag like a banana or a muesli bar or something similar. People stopping after 9 to eat is another reason why the 5 hour round is the norm.

Why should you care if I get a hot dog or a Snickers at the halfway house?  What about a Gatorade?

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by k-troop

Why should you care if I get a hot dog or a Snickers at the halfway house?  What about a Gatorade?

No problem there - I'm referring to a situation mentioned in the post I quoted where ringing ahead to "order food" seems to be  a good thing to do.

That would imply something more substantial than what you are suggesting. Surely you don't have to make a phone call to buy a Snickers bar! That isn't slowing down play.

I'm thinking about people stopping their round and sitting down to eat. I probably should've made that clearer.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Played with a father and Son when the father was coaching the kid the whole day.   Ruined the day for his kid and me as well.

The other thing that bug's me is where you have someone in your group who has no consideration for anyone else in the group and if always out in front of you chasing his errant shots.

Stephen T.

Originally Posted by fairwayguy2

Played with a father and Son when the father was coaching the kid the whole day.   Ruined the day for his kid and me as well.

This is the only issue I run into when I play with my Father and Brother.  My dad will spend most of the round trying to get my Brother to fix his swing, and during a round really isn't the time for that.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I don't mind playing with my mom, but she's in her 60's and cannot hit a ball over 150 yards.. so we're 200 out and she feels the need to take her GPS off of her belt and then ask where the pin in to adjust the yardage. Gah!

G10 Driver
G10 4-wd
G15 7-wd
X-18 Proseries 3i-PW
X-Tour 52d gap wedge X-Tour 58d lob/sand wedge Dual-force Rossie II (mallet head) putter Pro-V1x only (baby!)Play at a private NJ g.c.

Note: This thread is 2522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!