IGNORED

WOW! Talk about a letdown...Worst major I've seen, so far

Three Putt
Note: This thread is 5418 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It would be definitely better if the weather helps a bit, but so far I have enjoyed it a lot, I watch it because I love golf.

Cheers!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as majors go, yeah, certainly not the best I've seen. The leaderboard isn't the greatest with guys like Weir, Glover, and Barnes near the lead (or in the lead)...

What's wrong with the leaderboard as is? Just because its a major, does it have to be filled with the well known names? I'm rooting for Weir to pull out with a win.

« Keith »

meh the difference between the two flights is so drastic it's really frustrating to watch as a spectator

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

How can you not root for Weaver! He is playing good. It would be sweet to have a (A) win.

Driver: GigaGolf Verve 17 10.5°
Woods: Gigagolf X2 Fairway 3 Wood, Orlimar Trimetal 19°
Hybrids: Gigagolf Cloud Nine 4
Irons: Gigagolf Cloud Nine Series
Wedge: Gigagolf SGS Black 52° & 58°

Putter: Ping Pal 2i Isopur

Shoes: Adidas

Ball: Titleist NXT

Hope they enjoy their last US Open at Bethpage Black. Christ, it's only the second round and the fans (obnoxious), commentators (Awful), Golf Course (boring) is really turning into a snoozer. The worst part is the fans have watched golf channel too much and are trying to outdo the 2002 event (which was just natural), now it's a bunch of drunk geeks trying to hear themselves on TV, give me the Masters anyday over this group of clowns.

i kinda like it. in tournaments like this, players not only have to deal with the physical, but the mental in shutting out the crowd and concentrating on their shot. all other sports figures from basketball, to football, to baseball, have to deal with taunting and jeering from fans. why should golfers be exempt? as long as the crowd isn't talking while one of them is hitting, i see nothing wrong with it.

two straight majors with extreme weather conditions. i think that might be the biggest factor in limiting when the us open comes back to beth page

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

I think they are doing a poor job actually showing the course and differentiating the holes. I feel like the holes are all nondescript, but I have the feeling it is the camera work not the holes.

I also think the different flights of players really hurt this event. It stinks when half the field is virtually eliminated simply by their draw.

All that being said... I still watched about 8 hours of coverage today... and i'm enjoying the hell out of it!
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

I've found it hard to get into this year because of the weather. It's been really disjointed which makes it hard to follow and kinda ruins the "major feel" of it all. It doesn't help that the 7:30 am tee offs at Bethpage happen at 11:30 pm where I live so I end up waking up to watch the coverage having no idea what round they're even playing.

I think the crowds overall have been great especially considering that these people have had to endure all these rain delays, starts, stops,,,,ect. It's been tough enough sitting in my comfortable chair at home watching it on HighDef! So give the crowds a little break, they've been stuck in the rain half the time they've been there with little or no golf, so what are you going to do but pound a few drinks.

As far as the Open itself, those ground crews have worked thier butts off day and night to keep this thing alive. The golf that has been played has been very impressive considering all thats gone on.

You can't control the weather and I think the USGA has done a decent job at making this "mess" a "US Open"!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

The difference in scores between different waves is killing me. I understand that weather is part of the sport but it's been night and day and the impact on scoring just feels unfair.

Driver: 909D3 9.5*
Wood: 909F3 15*
Hybrid: a4 3-4H
Irons: MP-57 5-PW
Wedges: MP R 50.5 SM 54.12 MP R 58.10Putter: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Mid SlantCorrect me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key...

The difference in scores between different waves is killing me. I understand that weather is part of the sport but it's been night and day and the impact on scoring just feels unfair.

Something like 26 players made the cut from the supposed bad side, and 34 players made the cut from the good side, a difference of 8 guy's out of +150,,,,not really seeing your point of unfair? Tiger played the last 4 holes of round 1 at +4 in dry soft conditions, and then proceeded to play another 18 holes in round 2 in dry soft conditions and only makes up one stroke. Sounds more like Tiger playing poorly than anything being unfair! Did the first wave of players on Thursday have a tougher go at it, yes, but to the point of being unfair, not hardly!!!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

This will certainly not be the last open at Bethpage. People talk more about this then they do Pebble. There is a certain excitement about having the Open at a Public park near NYC. Drunks just make things more interesting, and we like laughing AT the New Yorkers, not with them.

The leaderboard is awesome and the weather is nobody's fault but the big guy upstairs.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

If anyone here wants to hang out with New Yorkers, come on down to South Florida where all the criminals from NY come to scam people out of their hard earned money.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Yeah the weather has affected the US Open this year in more ways than one!

I only have one comment to add, and it has to do with the devolvement of golf with respect to the fans. It is simply a sign of the culture we live in, that we get yahoos yelling just to be heard, etc.. There is certainly a different attitude at events. Don't even try the "lighten up" line. There is a time and place to be a raucous buffoon (actually there isn't, but some places better than others), but golf tournaments are not the place. Cheering yes, idiocy, no.

Please don't try to justify it. Phew... what a rant. Can you tell that bugs me?

WTIB:
Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5° Scads of shafts - now: Kai'li 63 stiff
Tour Edge Exotics 3 & 5 FW
Callaway X-22 Tour irons
Bobby Jones 3 & 4 hybridsRife Abaco/Odyessy Black Series i9 puttersWith a few more hangin' around

For someone who doesn't have cable, but is getting over the air HD, the extra hours of coverage, which I assume is because of the weather, is a treat. 9 hours is alot, but there are only 4 majors, so I'm enjoying it while it lasts, plus we'll get extra coverage, weather permitting today and Monday.

It's an extra treat to watch the pros play a course you've played on many times. I've played a couple of courses on the PGA rota, but only once and that's not anywhere near how you can identify with the shot or putt on a course you've played 30-40 times. In 2002, it was great, but after playing the course even more after that, you have such an insider's view, it's hard to explain. And you can't call Pebble or Pinehurst "public". What percentage of the public can afford the trip there, plus the exorbitant green fees? And to play it only once? It's $50-60 to play for in-state folks. That, is public.

This weather is of biblical proportions. The month isn't over yet and we've more than doubled the amount of rainfall we typically get in June. Think of all the tennis US Opens where we saw the squeegie folks.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm enjoying the Open. I can't speak for others, but I always enjoy watching great golf on a great course......and so far, we've had both.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

It would be nice if they added a graphic telling us if the player is on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round along with how many holes they have played or have left to play.

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

Something like 26 players made the cut from the supposed bad side, and 34 players made the cut from the good side, a difference of 8 guy's out of +150,,,,not really seeing your point of unfair?

Well here is the problem: making the cut and being -8 and making the cut and being +4 are not the same thing. The telling stat for the tournament is that about 12 of the top 15 after round 2 were from the second wave of the first round. That's statistically relevant so it seems pretty clear that one group got shafted.

Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

Note: This thread is 5418 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!