IGNORED

WOW! Talk about a letdown...Worst major I've seen, so far

Three Putt
Note: This thread is 5391 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wasn't Tiger leading last year going into the fourth round?

That is all I was saying. Very significant and in my estimation the reason why I cant call him the best. Looking even back to the Masters a couple years ago where he trailed by a stoke he couldn't get it done. Without a doubt he is the best front runner ever but until he can come from behind in a major,he will by most not be considered the best. He has a major hurdle mentally he has to overcome. I by no means have an agenda, Tiger makes for great TV, but by anyone who follows golf or golf history you could have seen he most likely wasn't going to win.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So is that true? Tiger's never come back to win after being down after 54?

If so, that's amazing. I had no idea.

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

So is that true? Tiger's never come back to win after being down after 54?

Jack came back many of times and Tiger never. It is a major blemish on his resume.

• Administrator
Jack came back many of times and Tiger never. It is a major blemish on his resume.

Jack also lost majors after leading - something Tiger's never done. Jack never won a major by 15 shots like Tiger.

If Tiger ends up with 20 majors and wins them all as the front-runner you're going to have to be an awfully bitter, petty, small, (etc.) person to suggest that his resume is somehow lacking because he didn't win from behind. The point you're trying to make is dumb. So what? He's still won 14 majors - more in less time than Nicklaus. You're nit-picking because of HOW he won them? It's not like half the field was DQed in several of his majors or something, or he won on a rules infraction or something. Get real.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Jack also lost majors after leading - something Tiger's never done. Jack never won a major by 15 shots like Tiger.

I think you make dumb points. I said he was a great front runner. There is a psychological hurdle he can't get over.

I love Tiger but he needs to win when everything doesn't go all rosy the first three rounds. Not only is my point not dumb, its totally relevant today and every other major he lost no matter how few strokes he was behind by. The best golfer ever would never let the game get bigger than him. Tiger does that when behind in majors.

You guys want to crown him go ahead, I crown him when he is down three strokes in the final round at the US open and comes back to win.

Crown him? I suspect that Tiger isn't too worried about whatever crown you have to give him ;)

How do you qualify the difference between "never losing when leading going into the fourth" but "never winning when behind going into the fourth" versus "can win or lose no matter whether winning or losing in the fourth" anyway? How does one of those make you the best and the other make you blemished?

I'd think that squandering a lead in the fourth and losing would be more a blemish than failing to win when losing going into the fourth, personally.

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

I agree that it's not a "blemish" on his record at all, but it still is a surprising little factoid. This is especially true seeing as so much was given to the fact that Tiger could come back to win the tournament today (ie. the homepage on Yahoo had a story about him being in contention) yet he's never come from behind to win a major.

I agree that it's not a "blemish" on his record at all, but it still is a surprising little factoid. This is especially true seeing as so much was given to the fact that Tiger could come back to win the tournament today (ie. the homepage on Yahoo had a story about him being in contention) yet he's never come from behind to win a major.

He's come back from behind, just never come back from being behind *at 54 holes*.

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

I think you make dumb points. I said he was a great front runner. There is a psychological hurdle he can't get over.

Although I'm not a Tiger Woods fan by any means, you have to recognize who he is and what type of player he is. He is one of if not the most mentally tough players in the world. he's the one that psychs out his playing partners. He's the one that is completely relaxed in clutch situation. He's the one that doesn't let his nerves get to him down the stretch.

You CANNOT argue with that no matter how much you dislike him.
I love Tiger but he needs to win when everything doesn't go all rosy the first three rounds. Not only is my point not dumb, its totally relevant today and every other major he lost no matter how few strokes he was behind by. The best golfer ever would never let the game get bigger than him. Tiger does that when behind in majors.

Tiger has won many, many tournaments on tour coming from behind. I know they aren't majors, but he can do it. I agree the little factoid of him not winning a major by coming from behind is an interesting little point, but it is by no means anywhere near as important as you are making it out to be.

• Administrator
I think you make dumb points.

Your opinion of my points notwithstanding, they're valid points nonetheless. You're harping on perhaps the best player ever because he builds big leads in majors and hangs on every time? Pssht.

Plus, I was going to make another point, but msd beat me to it:
Tiger has won many, many tournaments on tour coming from behind.

Nearly 1/3 of his stroke-play PGA Tour victories - and that includes the four majors - were come-from-behind wins. If you take out his majors, over 40% of his PGA Tour wins were come-from-behind wins. Both of his wins this year were.

You've latched onto an interesting factoid, Elsfan, and you're trying to use it to sling mud. I'm sorry, but against the claims you're making, Tiger's teflon-coated and you're the only one getting dirty in trying to throw it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

LOL. I think your a little off there. Just because he hasn't won a major (there are OTHER good players on the tour out there. Not all of them are going to go backwards) coming from behind he has a psychological hurdle he can't overcome? What are you talking about? In golf, you can only comeback after 54 holes if your down by like 5 strokes if the leaders COME BACK TO YOU and then you can take advantage. It's not something he can fully control.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Although I'm not a Tiger Woods fan by any means, you have to recognize who he is and what type of player he is. He is one of if not the most mentally tough players in the world. he's the one that psychs out his playing partners. He's the one that is completely relaxed in clutch situation. He's the one that doesn't let his nerves get to him down the stretch.

I love Tiger for the last time. All I have to say is if you think Jack doesn't go 4-5 under today your crazy. What about Augusta down by 1 stroke, Yep jack would have won there too. He has mental work to do to believe he doesn't have to be in the lead after 54 to win a major.

LOL. I think your a little off there. Just because he hasn't won a major (there are OTHER good players on the tour out there. Not all of them are going to go backwards) coming from behind he has a psychological hurdle he can't overcome? What are you talking about? In golf, you can only comeback after 54 holes if your down by like 5 strokes if the leaders COME BACK TO YOU and then you can take advantage. It's not something he can fully control.

We disagree, it happens. I want to see the best golfer operate in conditions like the post office. Rain Sleet or Snow. I am by no means an anti-tigrite. I cant remember leaders running away in a major. As of recent, they always come back.

What a Great finish to a Great Major Championship this year in the US Open!
Congrats to Lucas Glover!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glover endured all the starts and stops and weather to play fantastic this week!

A very deserving champion!!!!!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Your opinion of my points notwithstanding, they're valid points nonetheless. You're harping on perhaps the best player ever because he builds big leads in majors and hangs on every time? Pssht.

Your stats only prove my point more. How can a guy who has won a third of his stroke play victories (including majors) from behind and 40 percent excluding majors not win a major from behind when trailing in some cases by only one stroke? Kind of fishy to me. I am not slinging mud at anyone, he is one of my favorite players. I do think he has a problem that at this point needs to be addressed. When he hires a sports psych guy everyone is gonna be like I should have listened to Elsfan. I accept your apologies in advance.

What a Great finish to a Great Major Championship this year in the US Open!

I agree with you on all points, and wish to totally disagree with the statements in post #1 of this thread. This was an exciting Major, with a great final 18 holes. Duval, Phil, and Ricky Barnes all had their chances, but Glover was imperturable. His finish on the last 3 holes was of classic Championship caliber, especially with players like Duval and Mickelson bogeying #17.

How could any one ask for more excitement than having four players having a chance to win with three holes left? Suspenseful and nerve-wracking for sure. Boring? No way. Worst Major in recent years? Definitely not.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Note: This thread is 5391 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!