IGNORED

How far do you hit your clubs?

Note: This thread is 3849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The only reasons you will hit newer irons further is either newer clubs will have lower lofts than your older irons (ie: a current PW usually has a degree from 46-48 and old clubs usually have a PW at around 49-50 degrees of loft) or you just can't hit your old clubs solid.

I disagree.

Isn't it possible the new irons have a forged head instead of cast? Different kick point on the shaft? Lighter shaft? Heavier shaft? Thicker shaft? Heavier clubhead? thicker sole... Thinner sole. etc........ There are a TON of reasons you may hit the new irons better. If you've ever been through a club fitting you'd see there are a lot of differences in every club. Pros go through intense club fitting. I was hitting my PW about 100 and my 9 about 130 with everything else 10 yards more. I took 3 & 4 out of the bag entirely - couldn't get a shot to go anywhere. I started playing a lot of tennis last August and right through the winter. My first time at the range I noticed I was hitting my PW about 130 and my 9 about 150 and everything about 10 yards more. It's stayed that way so far. Imagine going to sleep and waking up with 30 more yards?!??!?!!! That's what this felt like after a grueling Boston winter!

-Bobby Harris
----------------
I play a Wishon driver that was fitted to my personal swing by a professional club fitter
Irons are Tommy Armour 845's for irons handed down to me from my father
Wedges by Cleveland Golf. Gap(52), Sand(56) and Lob(60).And a VERY OLD Odyssey Putter with a graphite...

Love the 285+ distances. I've yet to play with anyone that out drives me by 50 yards. I guess all these guys are playing at private country clubs.

Carry distances
Driver: 230-240
3-wood: 220
hybrid 19*: 200
hybrid 23*: 185
5 iron: 170
6 iron: 160
7 iron: 150
8 iron: 140
9 iron: 125
PW: 110
GW: 100
SW: ?
LW: ?

« Keith »

I disagree.

1. has no effect on distance

2. kick points have almost no effect with irons All of the rest have to do with being properly fit and or having the right feel. That has nothing to do with new technology making the club head go further. if properly fit with irons from 10 years ago and then getting properly fit with irons from today, you won't hit them further.

I disagree.

My irons were cheap no-names when I got them. Never had them fitted since it isn't worth it with them. Eventually I want to get a nice set of new irons but I just bought a new driver, 3wood, and hybrid so it will take some time. I don't expect any huge yardage increases but I would think that with new properly fitting irons I would at least be hitting crisper and more consistent. My swing is the bigger problem though, not the equipment :P

In my offbrand bag....

2009 Burner Driver
2007 Burner 3-wood
2009 Burner Rescue 4-Hybrid X-20 Irons 4-PW X-forged gap wedge 52.12* CG14 Black Pearl 56.14* and 60.14* wedges White Hot Dual Rossie Putter e6+ balls

Take some tape and tape over the number on your 8 iron, then use a magic marker to write a big "PW" on it. Amazing how far you can hit your new Pitching Wedge when you do that. I don't think I've played with a really great ball striker who cared what distance someone hit a club, only how far they might hit their own club choice on the particular next shot they faced.

RC

The ball speed off a springy-faced cavityback iron will be about 5-10 mph faster than a similar strike off a muscleback blade. This would be an instance where technology accounts for more distance model to model.
Driver: Taylormade Tour Burner 9.5° | Fairway Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15° | Irons: Mizuno MP-57 3-PW | Wedges: Cleveland CG11 52° 56° 60° | Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie

1. has no effect on distance

I still disagree. (Did you notice you wrote "almost" in there)

The ball speed off a springy-faced cavityback iron will be about 5-10 mph faster than a similar strike off a muscleback blade. This would be an instance where technology accounts for more distance model to model.

I agree.

-Bobby Harris
----------------
I play a Wishon driver that was fitted to my personal swing by a professional club fitter
Irons are Tommy Armour 845's for irons handed down to me from my father
Wedges by Cleveland Golf. Gap(52), Sand(56) and Lob(60).And a VERY OLD Odyssey Putter with a graphite...

Dvr 240
3 W 210
3-H 195
4-H 185
5-I 170
6-I 160
7-I 150
8-I 140
9-I 130
PW 120
GW 70-100
SW Everything else around the Green
LW Uphill Chips
Ptr Fringe and closer

In my bag:

Driver: Hypersonic t7 460cc w/ UST Comp Series 65
3 Wood: r7 Draw
3 Hybrid: Idea Pro4H-SW: Tight LiesGW: Tom WatsonLW: Bazooka JMaxPutter: Black Velvet 110 Gun MetalBall: e6+My Course:Roland Barkau Memorial Golf Course

Driver: Not As Far As I'd Like To Hit It
3 Wood: Not As Far As I'd Like To Hit It
5 Wood: Not As Far As I'd Like To Hit It
5 Iron: Not As Far As I'd Like To Hit It
6 Iron: Not As Far As I'd Like To Hit It
7 Iron: Not As Far As I'd Like To Hit It
8 Iron: Not As Far As I'd Like To Hit It
9 Iron: Not As Far As I'd Like To Hit It
P Wedge: Not As Far As I'd Like To Hit It
Wedges: Not As Far As I'd Like To Hit It

Take some tape and tape over the number on your 8 iron, then use a magic marker to write a big "PW" on it. Amazing how far you can hit your new Pitching Wedge when you do that. .

haha i love it

???? Tiger can easily carry it 300 yards. I don't know where you got those distances from.

Shitty golfers that just want to hit their irons further deloft their clubs to an outrageous point. I can turn a sand wedge into an 8 iron but it doesn't behave like a sw anymore.

Can you imagine the kinds of problems I would have with spin if I could hit a sw 150 yards without delofting it. The same goes for the folks hitting 150 pitching wedges, imagine the kind of spin you should produce if you are hitting the ball properly. The ball would spin back 15 feet, sometimes more. You have to recognize that a 145 yard 9 iron from a pro looks a billion times different then joe the 10 handicappers 145 yard 9 iron. Yea that went the same distance but check the trajectory and the spin.

Its pretty funny that if tiger woods were reading this he would think to himself man these guys hit the ball so much further then me and I have one of the fastest swings on tour...

I completely agree with this - there is a lot of wishful bullshiting going on here. even taking into account roll off hard fairways etc...cmon guys

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

• Administrator
The ball speed off a springy-faced cavityback iron will be about 5-10 mph faster than a similar strike off a muscleback blade.

Uhm, no. That's not true at all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I really want to crank it, my distances are as follow;

And if you look up average distances you'll get

Driver 200-230-260 3-wood 180-215-235 5-wood 170-195-210 2-iron 170-195-210 3-iron 160-180-200 4-iron 150-170-185 5-iron 140-160-170 6-iron 130-150-160 7-iron 120-140-150 8-iron 110-130-140 9-iron 95-115-130 PW 80-105-120 SW 60-80-100 This represents short hitters, average hitters, and long hitters. There's the short,average,long,longer and completely #@$@@ insane.

I am curious to see how far everyone hits their clubs on a normal full swing.

Driver-280-300

3 wood-250 5 wood 225 3 iron-210 4 iron-200 5 iron-190 6 iron-180 7 iron-165 8 iron-150 9 iron-135 P wedge-120 52 wedge-100 56 wedge-90 60 wedge-75 Swinging smooth on all clubs. Can hammer it harder for more distance but loose ALOT of accuracy

Hit'em Long and Strong
Big Tazz

Note: This thread is 3849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!