IGNORED

How far do you hit your clubs?

Note: This thread is 3871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It is amazing to see that 10-20handicappers can hit the ball past a lot of pros, must be some pretty poor short games out there. Anyway, here are my yardages, all of which are carry distances.

Driver: 290

3w: 265

5w: 245

21*: 235

4i: 220

5i: 205

6i: 185-190

7i: 175

8i: 165

9i: 150

PW: 140

54*: 120

62*: 80

-Tim

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

Driver 240 average

3W 220

3Hy 210

3I 200

5W 200

4I 190

5I 180

6I 165

7I 155

8I 145

9I 135

PW 125

GW 115

SW 105

LW 95

I play a lot with strangers, maybe 100-150 rounds / year. That makes about 300-500 different playing companions / year. I get outdriven by less than 1 % of players. We Finns must suck at golf looking at this forums average driving distance...

Driver 240 average 3W 220 3Hy 210 3I 200 5W 200 4I 190 5I 180 6I 165 7I 155 8I 145 9I 135 PW 125 GW 115 SW 105 LW 95 I play a lot with strangers, maybe 100-150 rounds / year. That makes about 300-500 different playing companions / year. I get outdriven by less than 1 % of players. We Finns must suck at golf looking at this forums average driving distance...

Might be "when" you play as much as where. If I played between 09:00 and 15:00 then it's rare to see a longer player than you. When I consider players in my Wednesday league and the guys with 06:00 to 08:00 tee times, I've played with many who drive approximately that far (unless your distances are in metres).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Trenchdigger

Driver 240 average

3W 220

3Hy 210

3I 200

5W 200

4I 190

5I 180

6I 165

7I 155

8I 145

9I 135

PW 125

GW 115

SW 105

LW 95

I play a lot with strangers, maybe 100-150 rounds / year. That makes about 300-500 different playing companions / year. I get outdriven by less than 1 % of players. We Finns must suck at golf looking at this forums average driving distance...

My Dad is from finland so I'm 50% that must be why I only suck half the time.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This thread, like so many other threads about how far one can hit a ball with what club reminds me of a couple of movie lines.....from "Tin Cup" Rene Russo character "Why do men insist on measuring their dicks"  and from "Caddyshack", Ty who says he doesn't keep score, when asked how he measures himself with other golfers, he replies "by height"

Regards,

Big Wave

Golf is the only sport in which a thorough knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship - Patrick Campbell.

It is amazing to see that 10-20handicappers can hit the ball past a lot of pros, must be some pretty poor short games out there. Anyway, here are my yardages, all of which are carry distances. Driver: 290 3w: 265 5w: 245 21*: 235 4i: 220 5i: 205 6i: 185-190 7i: 175 8i: 165 9i: 150 PW: 140 54*: 120 62*: 80 -Tim [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/60910/] [/URL]

Pretty impressive distances. For me, my handicap is limited by my iron shots above 100 yards to 170. Below 100, I can hit really accurately and above 170 I can use my 4 hybrid pretty well. Woods are pretty much clean. Driver hits high, but 220 carry hitting fairways. Putting and chipping is pretty good as well. Seems like I am always hoping for a 175 to 185 yard approach shot, so I don't need to use mid irons. However, I can hit any iron right handed VERY reliably. So, on 18 holes I bring along my right handed irons. Need to carry 20 clubs to do this, so I don't count these rounds into my handicap. I don't know what bad habits I developed with left handed irons. I will probably post some videos for help soon. Anyway, that's at least why my handicap is so high.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

For me... Driver (8.5* open face) - 295 4 wood (16.5* open face) - 250 3 iron - 225 4 iron - 210 5 iron - 190 6 iron - 175 7 iron - 165 8 iron - 155 9 iron - 145 PW (47*) - 135 GW (52*) - 120 SW (56*) - 110 I use the Cobra Amp woods, with Nike VR Pro Combo irons (3-PW), and Adams Golf Tom Watson wedges.

Nike VRS Covert Tour Driver 8.5*

Nike VRS Covert Tour 3 Wood 14*

Nike VR Split Cavity Irons(3-PW)

Nike VR Forged 51* & Callaway Forged 55* & 59* Wedges

Ping Karsten Anser Putter 33in.

Nike 20xi-x golf ball

Originally Posted by tim31x

It is amazing to see that 10-20handicappers can hit the ball past a lot of pros, must be some pretty poor short games out there. Anyway, here are my yardages, all of which are carry distances.

6i: 185-190

7i: 175

8i: 165

9i: 150

PW: 140

54*: 120

62*: 80

-Tim

At this driving range are there people on staff there to help you carry that bucket of balls out to your station?  Good god, that thing looks like it would have to weigh 50-60 pounds full!

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

At this driving range are there people on staff there to help you carry that bucket of balls out to your station?  Good god, that thing looks like it would have to weigh 50-60 pounds full!

It looks like he is used to carrying around some weight anyway

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Driver - 280+

3 wood - 255

3 hybrid - 240

3 iron - 224

4 iron - 215

5 iron - 205

6 iron - 190

7 iron - 178

8 iron - 164

9 iron - 154

pw - 140

sw - 128

lw - 109

I am strong like bull.

In the bag

titleist.gif 910 D2 8.5° | titleist.gif 909F2 15.5° titleist.gif 909H 21° |
titleist.gif  710 CB 3i-5i, 710 MB 6i-9i |  vokey.gif 48°  54°  60°
  Newport 2   |    Z Star or  Pro V1 |

bushnell.gif V2 Tour Rangefinder |

I am wondering about the doubters vs the claimers of long distance? Perhaps if we add another metric to the equation, like a histogram of shots hit and distance. One that shows distance and number of shots in a 2 hour session. here are mine: Carry distance with range balls: Driver, all new Nike range balls: 220+; 25 200; 5 3 wood assorted types of range balls: 210; 100 5 wood assorted range balls: 200: 90 190: 10 4 hybrid all the crappiest range balls from these buckets: 185: 25 175: 10 Etc. If we do this it might make the distance values more believable, plus it doesn't take months to get statistics out on the course where the conditions are all different. The thread topic is "how far you hit the clubs", not "how far you average under any circumstances with a clean shot". You can use the range fence posts, and have an accuracy uncertainty of a few yards or so. You only need to measure the fence posts once. To get an estimate, it is easy to say if you hit half way between them 1/4 way or 3/4 way. The posts are usually about 15 to 20 yards apart. This could give you an accuracy of only 5 yards or less. You need to keep track of how far each post is and make sure you match distances of the posts where your shot lands. One issue is that to get more accurate estimates you need to hit along the fence and requires more accurate shots. Another issue is if someone argues that range balls hit shorter. They do, but for an estimate on distance you can calibrate by taking 10 shots at one tee box under similar circumstances using your normal balls. Then take the average distance with the range balls using the driver and the average of the 10 control balls and find the ratio between the two. Multiply this ratio to each club distance with the range balls. It is not going to be that much different than actually hitting your own balls 260 times. I think this should give more realistic distances you can expect on average. It also gives a peak performance value, and of course the spread you can expect from any given club. This will also show consistency. As you improve, you can update the thread, and keep track of your distances more comprehensively. It is really not that hard to do, and will give you pretty good statistics. It helps me a lot on the course, and gives me confidence when hitting over obstacles and such.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I really don't care who doubts me. I welcome anyone to come play with me. My iron yardages are dead on, almost every second shot I take has been hit after my range finder was used. As far as driver, I have hit from 10 yard sky balls to 330 yard bombs. There have been a couple more bombs than sky balls now but on summer average I would say 270 carry and 285 roll out with fairway shots, which coincidentally, I have been hitting nice straight drives lately but a little shorter at 260. I am not sure if it is the weather or that I slowed things down to stay in the fairway. Being in the fairway is a lot of fun though and I can still get to greens easily.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

It looks like he is used to carrying around some weight anyway

6'5" 290, used to play offensive tackle before I broke my back.

I am wondering about the doubters vs the claimers of long distance? Perhaps if we add another metric to the equation, like a histogram of shots hit and distance. One that shows distance and number of shots in a 2 hour session. here are mine: Carry distance with range balls: Driver, all new Nike range balls: 220+; 25 200; 5 3 wood assorted types of range balls: 210; 100 5 wood assorted range balls: 200: 90 190: 10 4 hybrid all the crappiest range balls from these buckets: 185: 25 175: 10 Etc. If we do this it might make the distance values more believable, plus it doesn't take months to get statistics out on the course where the conditions are all different. The thread topic is "how far you hit the clubs", not "how far you average under any circumstances with a clean shot". You can use the range fence posts, and have an accuracy uncertainty of a few yards or so. You only need to measure the fence posts once. To get an estimate, it is easy to say if you hit half way between them 1/4 way or 3/4 way. The posts are usually about 15 to 20 yards apart. This could give you an accuracy of only 5 yards or less. You need to keep track of how far each post is and make sure you match distances of the posts where your shot lands. One issue is that to get more accurate estimates you need to hit along the fence and requires more accurate shots. Another issue is if someone argues that range balls hit shorter. They do, but for an estimate on distance you can calibrate by taking 10 shots at one tee box under similar circumstances using your normal balls. Then take the average distance with the range balls using the driver and the average of the 10 control balls and find the ratio between the two. Multiply this ratio to each club distance with the range balls. It is not going to be that much different than actually hitting your own balls 260 times. I think this should give more realistic distances you can expect on average. It also gives a peak performance value, and of course the spread you can expect from any given club. This will also show consistency. As you improve, you can update the thread, and keep track of your distances more comprehensively. It is really not that hard to do, and will give you pretty good statistics. It helps me a lot on the course, and gives me confidence when hitting over obstacles and such.

Just to be clear, I think those who say they hit far, really do. I have no reason to doubt the yardages as i see people htting that far with great regularity. Even I am not using that much effort anymore and am getting over 235 yard drives. I am sure that many of you are in better shape than me, and can swing faster with the same amount of minimal effort. The second part of what I am suggesting is so each of us can show improvement other than just distance, and it's not that difficult to do. What I am expecting is that lower handicap golfers will show more consistency than the beginning strong golfers. Furthermore, that by posting these results on a regular basis, there are golfers out there who might suggest methods of improving consistency. It is a more accurate measure than just distance alone.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

6'5" 290, used to play offensive tackle before I broke my back.

What kind of swing do you use to avoid strain on your back? Stack and tilt?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Originally Posted by Lihu

I'd say I use my own swing. Its got some elements of stack and tilt, and a lot of elements of a traditional golf swing. Its tough to classify it as either one.

I am wondering about the doubters vs the claimers of long distance?

Perhaps if we add another metric to the equation, like a histogram of shots hit and distance.

Do whatever study you want, but if you play golf with enough different people you'll run across some who can't hit very far regardless how much they try (they do not properly apply enough club head speed to hit a long ball - end of story) and other guys who seem to hit it far no matter which club they have in their hands or how many balls they hit. IMHO, a study where dozens of any shot are hit consecutively is pointless, because it has no bearing on rounds played (i.e.when knowing your distances actually matters-  who really cares about driving range distances?).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'd say I use my own swing. Its got some elements of stack and tilt, and a lot of elements of a traditional golf swing. Its tough to classify it as either one.

Tim, don't you have a Myswing thread?  I know I've seen your swing on here.  I remember because it's one of the best ones I've seen here.  (Most powerful too)

Note: This thread is 3871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!