IGNORED

How far do you hit your clubs?

Note: This thread is 3877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Do whatever study you want, but if you play golf with enough different people you'll run across some who can't hit very far regardless how much they try (they do not properly apply enough club head speed to hit a long ball - end of story) and other guys who seem to hit it far no matter which club they have in their hands or how many balls they hit. IMHO, a study where dozens of any shot are hit consecutively is pointless, because it has no bearing on rounds played (i.e.when knowing your distances actually matters-  who really cares about driving range distances?).

With respect to your last parenthetical.... I never get much of a feeling of confidence or any real data on distances on a range. Its bloody pointless to me for anything other than whether or not I've got the shanks and how to fix it. The course is the only place where I can learn distances with any reliability. So that rings quite true.

I'm collecting data thus far, and sooner or later I'll have some statistical averages, but it takes time on the course. I think my range distances would probably be a bit better than those on the course, so it does me little good even if I know.

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

With respect to your last parenthetical.... I never get much of a feeling of confidence or any real data on distances on a range. Its bloody pointless to me for anything other than whether or not I've got the shanks and how to fix it. The course is the only place where I can learn distances with any reliability. So that rings quite true. I'm collecting data thus far, and sooner or later I'll have some statistical averages, but it takes time on the course. I think my range distances would probably be a bit better than those on the course, so it does me little good even if I know.

I guess I can see your points. Then it really is difficult to measure the club distances. Probably will take a year, and be an average over a year to do this for me playing only 27 holes a week. I do notice that when my forearms are fresh, I can hit farther. I suppose it somewhat offsets the dialed in muscles at the range.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just another average Joe on the Internet.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

[URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/61212/] [/URL] Just another average Joe on the Internet. :surrender:

You hit like Bubba.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Not me! I can't even carry it 253.4 yards, damn it.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Not me! I can't even carry it 253.4 yards, damn it.

I suspected as much, SF of 1.49 is nearly perfect and a 44 degree landing angle would nearly land the greens on most of the par 4s from the white tees on the courses I play :-) In any case 253 yards carry is not bad. 110 swing speed?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Originally Posted by Stretch

I was going to say did you steal that from Iron Byron?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Carry distance of 353.4 yds? WTF?!!!

I know some of those long drive champions can do some wild stuff but that carry?!!!

Stuff like that leaves me wondering even more about trusting those machines.

Originally Posted by Lihu

I guess I can see your points. Then it really is difficult to measure the club distances. Probably will take a year, and be an average over a year to do this for me playing only 27 holes a week. I do notice that when my forearms are fresh, I can hit farther. I suppose it somewhat offsets the dialed in muscles at the range.

In fact, I have to revise my prior statement... Distances on the course are better than on the range... Hadn't been to the range for a little bit and I forgot how beat up and sun baked the balls are... and they're also practice balls...

Anyways, to the point of the quoting you... hehe...

I've always had strong Popeye forearms, but lately my right forearm is having a bit of a tennis elbow like problem. It doesn't seem to affect the swing, and stretching makes it better.

Do you do a significant stretch routine before playing? I had my best day on the range in ages today after doing plenty of stretches.

Full forward stretch (knees bent for lower back rather than hamstrings). Back Bends, wrist and palm stretches, rotating stretches, arm raises, shoulder stretches, shoulder squeezes... The swing felt so natural and my 7 iron distances were quite unreal... I don't want to quote the distance, as it seemed a bit long. I'll save it for the course. :)

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

Originally Posted by Stretch

At some point, when I finally get my consistency up with my driver I am going to go to a facility with one of those machines and take a bunch of swings... hehe.

In fact, I have to revise my prior statement... Distances on the course are better than on the range... Hadn't been to the range for a little bit and I forgot how beat up and sun baked the balls are... and they're also practice balls... Anyways, to the point of the quoting you... hehe... I've always had strong Popeye forearms, but lately my right forearm is having a bit of a tennis elbow like problem. It doesn't seem to affect the swing, and stretching makes it better. Do you do a significant stretch routine before playing? I had my best day on the range in ages today after doing plenty of stretches. Full forward stretch (knees bent for lower back rather than hamstrings). Back Bends, wrist and palm stretches, rotating stretches, arm raises, shoulder stretches, shoulder squeezes... The swing felt so natural and my 7 iron distances were quite unreal... I don't want to quote the distance, as it seemed a bit long. I'll save it for the course. :)

Stretching is good for every sport. I stretch out and do a few turns before any shot longer than 100 yards. 7 iron seems to be a sweet spot for some reason. I think a lot of people have told me that is their favorite iron. I am focusing on irons only for daily exercise. Irons are really hard to hit well.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Tim, don't you have a Myswing thread?  I know I've seen your swing on here.  I remember because it's one of the best ones I've seen here.  (Most powerful too)

Yes, I do. I will try and upload a more recent one in the next day or two.

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

Originally Posted by Penny Pulz

well what do you expect when guys are talking how long it is..................

us guys are pretty pathetic...guys all think they are one better than another and women all hate each other....strange world

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

My furthest I comfortably hit each of my clubs:

Driver            320

3-Wood         270

4-Wood         255

2-Iron            250

3-Iron            235

4-Iron            220

5-Iron            205

6-Iron            190

7-Iron            175

8-Iron            165

9-Iron            155

PW               140

GW               125

SW               115

LW                90

Some interesting intervals, now that I step back and look. For instance, I am much more comfortable hitting my 8 iron hard than any other iron, hence the smaller gap between the 8 and 7.

Tyler Martin

A bit surprised at some of the long distances noted on the thread, I don't hit that far and I'm usually one of the longer hitters in most 4-somes I play in.  And about the same when it's a good group.  I actually took a bit off my distance to square my club face, and to get more repeatable results.  Can add 15 yards on every iron if I closed it up, but why on earth would I WANT to do that?

New set - still need to get to a more detailed range and write down all my 'normal' distances.  But these are working for club selection lately.  I "thought" I hit the long irons farther than this, but I've taken stock lately with the new irons and these are more 'typical'.  It's good, else I would have had a gap between the 6 and the 4-5 irons.

Driver (Nike Sasquatch Sumo 5000 - it was a gift) - 250 carry, usually gets around 280 full

3 Wood (VR Pro) - 250

5 Wood (VR Pro) - 225

Irons (Mizuno MP 53)

4 - 210

5 - 190

6 - 175

7 - 160

8 - 150

9 - 135

PW(46) - 120 (90 half swing)

My 20 year old Mizuno SW (54) - 100 (70 half swing)

I'm likely shopping for at least one or two wedges to round it out (50 and 58)

Bill - 

Driver - anywhere between 10 Yards and 260.

3 Wood - normally 225 - 230

5 wood - 215

3 hyb - 195

5 iron - 185

6 iron - 175

7 iron - 162

8 iron - 153

9 iron - 140

PW - 125

50 Deg - 105

SW - 90

60 Deg - 75

Putter - 4 feet past

In the bag:

R11s Driver

R9 3 Wood

R9 5 Wood

TM 2009 Hybrid

MP59 5 - PW

Vokey SM 4 50

Vokey Sm 4 60

Vokey SM 4 54

Ping D66 Putter

Driver - 220 - 245

3w - 230

4h - 195

5i - 185

6i - 170

7i - 155

8i - 145

9i - 132

PW - 110

SW - 90

60° - no idea, not really using this for a full swing

One of the great things about the club I am in is the fact, that Martin Kaymer and Marcel Siem show up there from time to time for their training. It is amazing what they can do, especially in terms distance and accuracy. Their swings, the sounds....poetry in motion :-)

Note: This thread is 3877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!