IGNORED

How far do you hit your clubs?

Note: This thread is 3849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Pablo68

Well, of course this thread is about averages. In the movie 'Tin Cup' Don Johnson's character hits his 7 iron down the street and I'm guessing it went a good ways. If someone asked him how far he hit his 7 iron, is that shot the one he's going to point to and say 'I hit my 7 iron 300 yards'? No..........And as far as hitting a club well; even blind hogs find acorns. Do you hit it well often enough to call that your stock shot yardage?

Maybe my 7th grade math comment was a little snarky... Yes, it ismy stock yardage. On a driving range, I hit them those distances over and over again. With a rangefinder. With a pro behind me telling me what my distance was...

Here's why I think "average" is not a good way to thinkabout hitting your full clubs. Let's say you're a strong-hitting 12 or so handicapper like me. I hit my 7 iron 170 yards 4 times, and then duck hook it 120 once (which still means it travels120 forward and 30 yards left, but lets not confuse things. I'm living my trig books in the closet for now). Add in some downhill lies, bad lies, etc., now your average drops to lets say 155. When you stand over a shot in the fairway and the pin is 170 yards away, do you pull a 7 iron or a 6or even 5 iron? Your "average" would say leave the 7 iron in the bag. I don;t plan on hitting bad shots. When I hit it the CORRECT way, which happens to be 4 out of 5 times, I hit a 7 iron 170. If I pulled a 5 iron, now I'm worrying about an 85% swing, or air mailing it over the green, etc. Scratch golfers can say "I hit my 7 iron 170" and it goes straight and that distance very regularly. Me, I know I'm capable of hitting it 170, usually do hit it 170, but the duck hook brings my average way down. If I hook it, then I go in the trees and play a pitch shot. If I'm in the next fairway 170 out, unless I feel totally out of control that day, I pull 7 iron again. If you think in averages, you play mind games and adjustments too much. I go into a shot planning on hitting it well and correctly and deal with the consequences. I'm good enough now where I don;t have days where I'm hitting 7 iron 135 over and over again until on my 10th shot I murder one 180 down the middle. I've achieved a modicum of consistency.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was thinking about this post while driving in traffic today. Maybe a pro or someone more knowledgeable than me can comment:

From basic statistics, we know that there are three types of "averages" - the mean, median, and mode. The mean is a true measure of average. The median means if you put data in sequential order, it's the value in the middle. The mode is the data point that occurs most frequently. I would contend that for low and mid-low handicappers (maybe everyone between 5 and 15), if all parts of your game are relatively similar (putting/short/long), you should use the MODE and not the MEAN to determine how to figure " how far you hit your clubs ," which has the practical application of which club do you pull when playing a shot on the course. For all handicappers above 15, I would say the MEAN might be better, especially as your handicap increases. Below 5, the MEAN and MODE won;t make much difference because your consistency is very good.

Let's say here are 10 shots at a driving range with an 8 iron for several players (no wind, flat grass surface)

0 handicap: 163, 166, 165, 170, 167, 167, 162, 162, 164, 161; MEAN - 164.7; MODE - 162 and 167

10 handicap: 157, 75(shank), 164, 158, 163, 138(thin), 165, 158, 155, 158; MEAN - 149.1; MODE - 158

20 handicap: 148, 85 (fat), 159, 155, 141, 126 (weak slice), 148, 148, 100(weak slice), 138; MEAN - 132.8; MODE - 148

30 handicap: 167, 105, 142, 60, 133, 97, 150, 150, 124, 75; MEAN - 120.3; MODE - 150

For the 0 handicap, mean and mode are relatively the same. As the handicap increases, the most common distance is likely to be more disparate than the average. In other words, your distances are so inconsistent, it might behoove you to just think about your average and deal with the consequences. But for a mid-handicapper, 1 shank or super-fat shot, etc. may kill your average. The 10 handicapper has 8 of 10 shots between 155 and 165 with an "average" of 149. Does that mean he/she should play a 7-iron from 155. Absolutely not. 8 of 10 shots will likely go long.

Originally Posted by mmoan2

I was thinking about this post while driving in traffic today.

I was thinking about this thread while driving in traffic today.

I'm pretty sure I saw a drive I hit in Wisconsin last week come bouncing past my car.

It must have just landed yesterday and was still in roll out.

I should have choked down a couple inches.

Bill - 

Originally Posted by rehmwa

I was thinking about this thread while driving in traffic today.

I'm pretty sure I saw a drive I hit in Wisconsin last week come bouncing past my car.

It must have just landed yesterday and was still in roll out.

I should have choked down a couple inches.

I was thinking about this mildly amusing thread while sitting on the bowl this morning.

I was lamenting how social media has empowered an entire generation of closet comedians.

I should have just choked my chicken instead.

Meh.

Okay, let me assist you in factoring your average. You have to count all those that you don't hit straight as well. Those hooks, pull hooks and vicious slices count towards your average. For each of your 220 yard banana ball slice or 240 yard left of left hook mean to hit your 280 average you have to blister one 340-360 down the middle. Starting to get the picture on what your ACTUAL average is? No offense meant but people don't seem to fathom reality when posting their averages.

I disagree. Why would you factor in your miss hits when averaging club distances? If you're 150 out from the green, are you gonna hit your 200 yard club in case you miss hit it 100 yards? No offense meant and you're correct - For a true average you would clearly need to factor those hits in. But for an average that can actually be applied to your golf game, you of course wouldnt factor those in. That, and his numbers were completely reasonable.

Lots of debate on what the 'average' distance is but here are my stats based on making solid contact (usually 7-8 times out of 10) i.e the club I would choose from that distance.

(Don't use driver or woods too erratic at them moment, not worth playing 3 or 5 off the tee every other hole!)

(3 + 4 are hybrids and I very rarely use them)

5 - 175 (I use this club a lot!)

6 - 160

7 - 145

8 - 130

9 - 120

PW 45'- 110

GW 52'- 100

SW 56' - 90

LW 60' - 80 (I do not hit this full swing too often)

I don't have an official handicap but I tend to play about 25 over on most courses (give or take 5 shots).

Originally Posted by mmoan2

I was lamenting how social media has empowered an entire generation of closet comedians.

Perhaps they should stay in the closet.

(or not)

Bill - 

I posted my distances earlier when I first started and they are increasing.  I occasionally most be producing good lag and making a better stroke because yesterday I pulled my PW out for my 125 yard from green shot and flew the green bad, 140 yard beauty.  Still average probably 120ish but looks like my swing is getting better.  Also am noticing that my short irons like my 9 and 8 are starting to close the gap with my 7 and 6.  I'm assuming this is normal as your swing improves with the easier clubs and up.

No doubt a lot of variation in distances among us.  Just for fun:

D = 230

3W = 220

3H = 195

4H = 185

5I = 170

6I = 160

7I = 150

8I = 140

9I = 130

PW = 110

SW = 90

LW = 60

As I get older I see those numbers continue to drop for each club.

here's mine

D- 220 yards

4 wood-250 yards

3 Hybrid 200

4 iron 200

5 iron 150

6 iron 150

7 iron 150

8 iron 125

9iron sometime 125 sometimes 100

PW 100

SW 90

LW 80

I cant figure out why I hit my 5 wood farther than my driver.

I cant figure out why my hybrid and 4 iron goes the same distance

I cant figure out 5-7 irons go 150 yards

I dont carry a 9 iron cause it so inconsistent .dont know why either. im going to add an extra wedge.

Depends how mad I am at them...lol

Here are the current ever changing averages (AVERAGE...not max, and not min...but average)

Driver - 265

3 Wood - 235

Hybrid - 210

5i - 185

6i - 170

7i - 160

8i - 150

9i - 140

PW - 130

AW - 120

GW - 112 (exactly...almost every full swing haha)

LW - 70

I rarely if ever do full swings with the GW and LW though.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Was bored figured yesterday at the range figured I would write down my old numbers and see the difference so hear goes.

Driver:        265-270 carry (280-285 roll)

3 Wood:     245

21° hybrid:  215

4 iron:        210

5 iron:        200

6 iron         190

7 iron         175

8 iron         165

9 iron         155

PW           130-150 (most comfortable wedge to use)

GW           120

SW           110

LW            100

Driver: RBZ 9.5° Stiff

Woods: :nike:VR_S Tour 2.0 15° Stiff

Hybrids:  910H 21° Stiff

Irons: 4-GW Pro Black CB1 with Project X rifle 6.0

Wedges:CC Jaws 56°.14° 60°.08°

Putter: Classic 1

Ball:  Z-Star XV Pure White

Distance is factored over ranges to account for weather conditions and shot demands. A draw will not travel as far as a straight shot, but can provide better lie, for example. I also do not swing at full power with every swing and every club, so landing angle and spin are not factored. The highest number reflect the maximum distance but ignores accuracy, while lower numbers represent a distance that I can consistently (yeah right) place a shot with said club. Note that I have a pretty good overlap in my clubs and I spent the time at the range on on the course to know these distances, drop angles and required swing power although these distances reflect a good whack with each. Now, if I could just roll 35 years off the clock, become well off enough to play all I could stand and the weather would hold, I didn't have to work as much, and, and, and, ... Driver (Adams Speedline 10.5°): 200-260 3 Wood (Adams Speedline 15°) : 180-220 7 wood (Upswing 27°): 120-185 4 iron: 155-170 5 iron: 140-160 6 iron 120-145 7 iron 115-125 8 iron 90-120 9 iron 70-95 PW 60-75 GW 40-65 (all irons above Adams RPM3 with senior flex shafts) 56°/10° Mizuno -60 Odessey White Steel putter 90+ (Used it once when feeling silly on short P3 like a mini 2 iron {it went off into the deep grass left}.) Still thinking on my 14th club....I think I have it covered, 'cept for maybe a even shorter wedge, like a 60° for soft sand and weeds inside 40. Roger

Originally Posted by jb57

Hit my clubs? I can hit the ball ok, but I can throw my clubs really good!

So, Driver flies 250 yards, irons fly anything from 80 to 120 yards? Putter is about the same?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 5 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 3849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!