IGNORED

Open face at impact cuased by non full turn?

Note: This thread is 5404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a problem with a fade (right handed) and not getting good distance off the tee.

I am 6' and 200 pounds and my 150 club is my 7 iron, my driver is about 220, 240 if I feel I hit it good. I know it doesnt matter about size, but there should be no reason why I cant get another 10-15 yards out of each club. Ideally I would like my 150 club to be a nice 8 iron.

I feel like I am loosing distance due toa few things, one being a fast back swing and two not a complete back swing, meaning my back doesnt face the target at the top, rather its about 45 degrees.

My question is, would not completing the back swing result in my club face being open at impact resulting in the fade at lack of distance?

I am hoping I found a solution to my swing, curoius on thoughts and I hope to try this at the range today or tomorrow.

In my Bag:

Driver- Launcher Driver 9.5 Loft, Stiff Shaft
Woods- G2 3- Wood
Hybrid- Halo 2 Iron G10 3 Iron HybridIrons- 4- Pitching i10Wedges- 52, 56 and 60 Degree RACPutter- 2 Ball

send a video

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

It could be a number of things. My take is that some people arent flexible enough to make as big of a shoulder turn as others. That shouldnt result in the open face at impact though. I dont feel like I have a huge shoulder turn at all, but I feel like a lot of my power comes from my hip turn. I dont think it's necessarily how much of a turn you get, it's how much torque you're getting when your going through the downswing. Some can build more torque with a smaller coil than others do with a larget coil.

Usually the open face is caused by not properly releasing the club, which comes from either an overly weak grip (as in top hand is turned too much in a clockwise position on the grip) or squeezing the grip too hard (which overly tightens the muscles in your forearms and hinders the fluid motion of the hands on impact). At address, when you look down at your top hand, how many knuckles do you see?

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

I usually see 2 or 3 knuckles. My grip is strong. I probably do hold the club to tight, but no matter how much I tell myself to relieve that pressure I still tighten up and try to HIT the ball instead of through it. Soemtimes I feel that I try ot hit the ball more iwth my arms rather than my body, but lately I have been consicouslly trying to get that out of my head.

I am only thinking that the loss of power I have and that my club face is open at impact (ball path is straight and then fade, so its not an over the top) is that my back swing is so short in the turn I am not giving myself time to release the club face fully. I might be over looking something but just trying to figure why I dont have the distance and still have a fade.

I will try and post a video soon.

By the way I am 30 and in decent shape, so flexibility shouldnt be a big problem.

In my Bag:

Woods- G2 3- Wood
Hybrid- Halo 2 Iron G10 3 Iron HybridIrons- 4- Pitching i10Wedges- 52, 56 and 60 Degree RACPutter- 2 Ball

I usually see 2 or 3 knuckles. My grip is strong. I probably do hold the club to tight, but no matter how much I tell myself to relieve that pressure I still tighten up and try to HIT the ball instead of through it.

I'd say the distance (or lack of) is a result of the lack of a full turn then. Driving your hips through the swing, and your shoulders will get you that. The motion of the arms should to an extent be a byproduct of the coil, and bringing the club back on the proper plane. So yeah, you're right about that part.

I still dont think that would be responsible for the fade/slice though. With the proper tempo, it shouldnt matter how far back you're bringing the club, as the club should always be able to return to square, no matter if it's a half swing, full swing, etc.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

try the following and see if it works for you.

1. off the tee, slowly bring your swing back.
2. at 3/4 swing, turn your hip (no full swing)
3. swing down fast without changing your hand position.

be sure to keep your head down and maintain tempo all all time.

Once you are able to get the feel, then slowly change to a bigger swing.

In my MTX Bag:
Driver: F speed 10.5 degree
F.W. wood: Steelhead III 3 wood, :
callaway: Steelhead III 5 wood
Hybrids: 18* XLS 3iIrons: MP60 4-PW w/ dgs300Wedges: vokey 52*, vokey 56*Putter: Pro Platium Milled Ball: E6+

Alpine
You are basically saying take 3/4 swings only until I get the feel of the swing?

Take it back to 3/4 and from that point try swining with my lower body with out doing anything with my hands/wrists?

What is considered 3/4? The height of my left arm? Or is it my turn? I would think 3/4 would be my left arm parrallel with the ground.

In my Bag:

Woods- G2 3- Wood

Alpine

I hope this will help.

In my MTX Bag:
Hybrids: 18* XLS 3iIrons: MP60 4-PW w/ dgs300Wedges: vokey 52*, vokey 56*Putter: Pro Platium Milled Ball: E6+

btw, if you are hitting the ball open face, it mostly because you are either opening your club face when swinging down, or your club is swinging faster than your hip....

just my $.02

In my MTX Bag:

These people who hit irons a long way also deloft the club a lot in their swing through a great hands ahead impact position, whereas we mortals allow the club to play to loft, if we are lucky, or worse, hit early and up loft that 7 iron to a 9 iron at impact with just a slight left wrist fold at impact. Ball goes nowhere, no matter what you do.

Practice chipping a fair distance and feel the hands staying ahead through impact and continue to enlarge to a full swing. There is a load of backswing drills you can do to make a fuller turn back and not just pick up the club.

You can get solid distance without a full 90 degree turn. Be aware of what your body will let you do and go with it. Making a proper turn is more effective than a big one. As for the face, I cant say why it would be open or closed in relation to your backswing.

I concentrate on turning my chest away from the ball. I feel as if my left shoulder and upper back are doing the work during the turn away from the ball. My right side is reletivley dead. It seems to work for me.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

The clubface being open is a sign that the hands have not released. Make sure that your knuckles turn down on the lead hand which closes the clubface. When you use your hips to start the downswing, the club will naturally be pulled on plane. Then you have to make sure you release the club. Think of what the back of your lead hand is doing....that will be the same thing your clubface is doing

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shouldn't have to try to release the club. It will happen naturally with the proper motion. Trying to flip them over will cause inconsistency.

You talk about fade and open clubface at the same time, those two cannot work together. An open clubface will cause the ball to spin off to the right, regardless of swing plane. A fade will start a bit to the left and spin back on the target line. If you are doing the latter, it's because of a swing coming over the top, but the clubface is square.

Before you adress any problem with the swing you have to know the terminology of the different shots. Trying to fix a fade by working on the clubface will probably end with a pull.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Well I gues I have both, but majority of my shots are straight with a tailing off to the right side. Is this from not releasing the club head?

In my Bag:

Woods- G2 3- Wood

Could be, but I'd rather put my money on cupped left wrist, perhaps a weak grip.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I know my grip is strong so it might be the cupped wrist.

Woudl that make my wrist bend toward the palm or away from the palm? Also your saying I might have a cupped wrist at impact I assume. Would this result in lost of distance as well?

In my Bag:

Woods- G2 3- Wood

I know my grip is strong so it might be the cupped wrist.

It needs to have a bow at impact. Yes you would lose distance as the cupped left wrist actually adds loft to the club and you can't really get any compression hitting it with a cupped wrist.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Well I gues I have both, but majority of my shots are straight with a tailing off to the right side. Is this from not releasing the club head?

I believe that is all from your swing.

In my MTX Bag:

Note: This thread is 5404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!