IGNORED

Cant hit a fade/draw at all....

Note: This thread is 5381 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been working on this at the driving range for a couple days now and i cant seem to get any fade or draw on the ball. The ball still flys perfectly straight like i'm hitting a normal shot. I'm lining up to where i want the ball to start and pointing my clubface to where i want it to go. Any idea why this is happening?

In my Ogio Budlight Bag
Taylormade R11 Driver | Big Bertha Diablo 3W | Tight Lies 5W & 7W |
Big Bertha Diablo 24 degree hybrid | Slingshot 4D 5-PW, AW Irons | SV Tour 56* wedge |
Detour Newport 2 | Noodle Ball | Golf Logix GPS

Interestingly, I'll give you my take, based on what's happening (happened) to my swing. Until I filmed it and until I examined my divots, I never realized I was doing this.

My swing is neither over the top or inside to out. My swing is straight back and straight forward. I too hit the ball straight (most time) and cannot/do not work the ball - although I wish I could. Now that I've seen the swing myself, I plan on working on a more inside to out path. I want to work on that slowly so as not to alter what I'm already doing, but definately I hope to shape the ball better by improving my swing plane/swing path.

I know this answer was about me ... but I hope it helps, some.
I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

I've been working on this at the driving range for a couple days now and i cant seem to get any fade or draw on the ball. The ball still flys perfectly straight like i'm hitting a normal shot. I'm lining up to where i want the ball to start and pointing my clubface to where i want it to go. Any idea why this is happening?

When you turn the clubface, you are re-adjusting your grip, correct? Just turning your wrists will result in hitting it square.

that said, there is a swing-path component to working the ball. I find a draw is easier to hit. Try putting the ball a few inches further back in your stance and close your feet just a hair. In addition to turning the club face a bit left, you should think about hitting "across" the ball in an inside-out motion. (its a bit the opposite with a fade) Your body has been trying to hit it straight for so long, it simply won't let you hit it anything other than square and you are probably doing all sorts of fun contortions of your swing to make it square on impact. Honest, working the ball is easiest to do consistently with a mid-long iron, like a 5 or 6. Drivers are harder because of their size and length and short irons just don't work much. Good luck

Driver: 905S 8* - Graffaloy Blue 65S Shaft (tipped 1" Short)
Fairway: 960F (15*, 19*)
Irons: T-Zoid Pro 4-PW w/ True Temper Steel
Wedges: MP-R Black 52*, 56*
Lob: 60* CG-10 (nice and rusty)Putter: OZ Putter (with oversized Winn Blue Grip)Ball:: One Tour

Draw
1) try hitting a hook with the club face closed as much as possible with your regular swing and the ball will have to hook.
2) move your rear foot inside and swing as above.
3) try 1, 2 above and use a stronger grip
4) try 1, 2 & 3 and take the club more inside

Fade
1) open the club face and swing
2) try 1 and move your rear foot outside
3) try 1, 2 and take the club more on the outside
4) try 1, 2 & 3 and use a weaker grip

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Draw

yeah what he said, I was reading an article in GD, after I was struggling to hit a draw. He said the easiest way is to open or close the face and have your normal swing. I had be trying all this crazy inside/outside stances and when Im release my arms and that simple thing "close the club face" worked for me.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

thanks guys i appreciate the help. Unfortunately ive picked up a nasty slice on my drives for some reason. I gotta get that fixed before i work on this anymore. I only slice my driver so its wierd.

In my Ogio Budlight Bag
Big Bertha Diablo 24 degree hybrid | Slingshot 4D 5-PW, AW Irons | SV Tour 56* wedge |

thanks guys i appreciate the help. Unfortunately ive picked up a nasty slice on my drives for some reason. I gotta get that fixed before i work on this anymore. I only slice my driver so its wierd.

Forgive me if I come off as rude, but if you are an 18 handicap like your profile says, why are you trying to fade/draw the ball? I say this because I am playing to about a 10 right now (my profile still says 6) because I am having problems hitting the ball straight down my line.

I admit that I know nothing about your game, but if you really are an 18 handicap and hit the ball consistently straight, I would work to keep that going and focus on the part of your game that is holding you back.

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

Forgive me if I come off as rude, but if you are an 18 handicap like your profile says, why are you trying to fade/draw the ball? I say this because I am playing to about a 10 right now (my profile still says 6) because I am having problems hitting the ball straight down my line.

Oh i completely understand what ur saying. I was just messing around and would be nice to hit a fade/draw. Right now i'm working on my drives so they are straight.

In my Ogio Budlight Bag

Draw

I have a couple questions on this. If you close the clubface for a hook and have a normal swing, won't the ball hook left of your desired target? Also, what do you mean by moving your rear foot inside?

1) aim in the direction you want to start the ball maybe 20 yards right of your target
2) close the club face to the direction you want the ball to end up.
3) if you move you rear foot back this will promote a more inside out swing that will encourage a draw

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I've used a couple of techniques for hitting high draws or fades out of trouble, I even do this with my driver off the tee.

Depending on your normal swing, hold the club straight out and see how many knuckles you see on your left (top) hand. Add a knuckle to draw it, remove a knuckle to fade it. That is, turn your top hand until you see another knuckle or lose a knuckle in your view. I got that from a golf magazine several years back and just saw it again a couple months ago. It reminded me to try it.

With my driver, (I'm right handed) I've moved my left foot about 2-3 inches forward. That is, instead of having my feet perfectly parallel to my target line, I push my left foot forward. (not making my stance wider) if you were to draw a line from my right foot to my left foot, you'd be parallel normally. In this case, my toes on my left foot would be just over that same line. If that helps you visualize.

It's worked for me in the past and might be worth a try.

In the bag:

-Driver: R9 9.5* MWT: Left FCT: NeutUp
-3w: Fusion 3w
-Hybrid: 585h 19*, 585h 24*-Irons: 755 Forged 5-PW-Wedges: Vokey 52.08* | 56.12* | 60.06-Putter:-Ball: DT | ProV1

I totally agree with this comment. If you reall do hit it straight, then concentrate on hitting it into positions where you never need to fade or draw! Good luck with the Driver....

Steve

R7 460 10.5 Degrees
Sasquatch 15 & 17 Degrees
MP60's 3-PW
T-Zoid Comp EZ Wedges 52 & 56
CG10 60 Degrees Tour Action Reg.588 64 Degrees White Hot #4 E6+ Balls

i have a problem with hittign fades and draws, I can get the shape of the flight, but the ball doent start out in line with my feet and finish where my club is aiming. It seems to start where my ckub is aiming and curl from there can anyone help with this problem

I totally agree with this comment. If you reall do hit it straight, then concentrate on hitting it into positions where you never need to fade or draw! Good luck with the Driver....

Agree w/ the posters that say stick with hitting it straight and if you can continue to do that be grateful.

You've got a serious problem if you can only hit the ball straight. Might as well give up the sport and leave it to those of us that enjoy visiting other fairways than the one we are supposed to be on.

Driver: Titleist 907D2 9.5 Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Pro Black 18*
Irons: Mizuno MP60 (4-PW)
Wedges: Vokey SM 50/54/58/62
Putter: Yes! CallieBall: TM PentaHome course: DeBell Golf Club http://www.debellgolf.com/

Note: This thread is 5381 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!