IGNORED

How Much Golf Is "Too Much" for Your Wife?

chriskzoo
Note: This thread is 3150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm actually on the opposite end of this in that my wife encourages me to go play. She moved here from Wisconsin and as a result had zero friends. She met a gal at her new job and they hit it off. Turns out her friends husband is an avid golfer and his wife is learning the game, so I was encouraged to take up the sport again and go golfing with them.

My first wife used to encourage me to go all the time. She would ask every saturday morning, "when are you going to go play?" Little did I know, she was cheating on me and that was why

But in the end golf prevailed and she hit the road!!!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I really have to admit I'm a fortunate guy. Married (no kids) and both me and my wife work at home (different companies). We're together all the time during the week (sans my Thursday night league) so if I want to go golfing any weekend or even both Saturday and Sunday, she's so sick of me she'd probably clean my clubs and take them to the car for me!

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+  Grips:  PURE Pro

God I feel horrible for you guys, I play at min 2-3 times a week and never hear one bit of complaining. The only thing she complains about is the amount of money I spend on golf stuff.

But I just fixed that by buying her a bunch of clothes :)

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

Once a week is accepted/expected. Twice a week once in awhile will raise an eyebrow, but seldom gets a comment.

An occassional, planned in advance, long weekend trip with the boys is fine.......but there's usually a price to pay for that in terms of a quid-pro-quo that usually ends up to her advantage.

The issue isn't really the golf, and certainly not the money. It really comes down to the fact that we both work and family time is always at a premium.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am so happy I'm not married, lulz.

In my bag

Driver: J33r 10.5º - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue
Fairway: 600T 5w, 7w
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity 4-PW/AW/SW/LWPutter: Victoria IIBall: B330-RXGlove: WetherSofShoes: DryJoys

I can't wait until the kids are all at least 2 or 3 and potty trained - then they are pretty much on auto-pilot and don't have to be tended to at all times.

Hate to pile on, but I should let you observe my niece and nephew, twins who are 6, for a day and see if it changes your world view.

The problem I have is that my wife has no interest in playing golf, no one in her family is remotely interested in golf, none of her friends golf, none of her friends' spouses golf...you see my point. It has never meant anything to her, while golf has been a major part of my entire life. Her view is that if golf does not benefit her in any way. It's just something that is expensive and keeps me away from family time. As a compromise, I joined an indoor driving range that's close to my work. I can head over there during lunch and hit golf balls. When the weather is nice, I'll go over to the practice green at a local course to chip and putt. Both are GREAT breaks in the day. That way I'm able to get some golf in without sacrificing family time.

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

This post was made for me. My wife has been getting frustrated with me recently. I play in a league every thursday and that is fine. I like to also play once a week. She has pretty much said no to that. I did play alot this last month. I had a 2 day tourney on sat/sun, I was gone forever. Then I played the week before (well you know you just have to get ready), then the following weekend. Then I already had golf plans with my buddies for over the 4th and it was a 3 day weekend? Of course I am going to play. So I did and she got to go shopping which she loves.

She does need a hobby. I like spending time with her but golf is alot of fun. No thinking about our life or bills, just about walking around playing a stupid game.

I am now on a golf break. My play has been poor so I don't mind. I still have my league and going to Hilton Head in a month, so it is ok. But that doesn't mean I can't practice, Right?

Vacation will be interesting. I have a 2 year old and she knows I am playing. I agreed to only twice and she hasn't said that is ok. I think it will be as long as I play early.

Women need more hobbies. It makes us look bad spending all this money and time and them not doing the same.

Brian

Wow. This thread is creepy. It's like I logged on under all these other usernames and posted my sentiments exactly they way they read.

The only difference is I'm not married yet, just a serious girlfriend whom I live with. (That's like half married, right?)

I agree with everyone who said that their wives need a hobby. It's gotten to the point where I almost feel bad going out to play because I know she doesn't have anything to do.

To answer the initial question, once a week is almost too much. Unless I do it on the one night a week that she already has plans, then she could care less. Unless she gets home early and I'm still out playing until it gets dark, then it's a problem.

Despite all this, I still play on average at least 1 or 2 times a week, or I play once with at least one or two range sessions.

I realize that marriage and to a somewhat lesser extent relationships in general are a compromise, but I'm not going to be guilted into doing less of what I love doing. I let someone control me like that before, and it ended up becoming the worst few years of my life.

BLAH. Frustrating.

Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

This is one heck of a thread. Talking about touching a nerve! Same goes here. Just boils down to her being jealous and not having anything to do. I try to plans things out for us to do together and I manage a few fun things a month but it doesn't seem to matter when it's time to play my Saturday morning round. Oh well, like I told her on our very first date, golf is an argument you may choose to make but one that you simply cannot win.

Married for almost 9 years.
A six year-old daughter and three year-old son.

Playing once a week is stretching it. Lately it's been more like twice every three weeks. But here's the thing: my three year-old son has shown some interest in golf and getting his own clubs and what-not. Yes! What, is she going to say no to frequent father/son time?

I think not.

Married for almost 9 years.

Did someone say loop-hole?

Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

I am 16 so it's more what is too much for my mum. She has to drive me to the golf club and she uses it against me a lot... :(
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

I'm glad we're all in the same boat!

It's all about communication. (Isn't all of marriage about communication?)

I have never gotten true anger about my habits, just grief and flak. I know where the line is though. I do a lot of stinking work for our family and we still spend some pretty serious quality time together so I think we both know where each other stands. My priorities are also straight.

BTW...biggest mistake you can make is asking to go play golf. BIG mistake.

and for the record, I've played 6 or 7 times a month for the past 5 months and I go to the green and range often.

Ben Hogan is my swing coach.

Driver: Burner TP
3 & 5 Woods: No-name
3H:No-name4i-PW: MP-32...unapologetically...You should try blades, too56*: CG12Putter: Spider

My first wife used to encourage me to go all the time. She would ask every saturday morning, "when are you going to go play?" Little did I know, she was cheating on me and that was why

OUCH! Sorry about that, man! I hope the cheating didn't happen in your own home, did it?

Maybe in the future, every once in a while come home early (I really didn't feel like playing today...) to make sure things are normal at home.

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

this keeps getting better
so my wife decides TODAY she needs a hobby...photography
ok whatever..she scrapbooks so it kinda goes hand in hand
she has a GREEAT Cannon $500 camera, but she insists she needs a $1500 Digital SLR now
why? well because I spent over 1k this year on golf, including green fees etc....um ok?

i tell ya
anytime i spend $100, $200 etc, she immedialtly thinks SHE needs to spend that same amount on something
dudes, if this keeps up i will be broke!!!! hahaha!

note to self....i wan to spend $500 on something, it will cost me a $1000...good to know..
arrghhhhh!!!!! hahahahah!
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I just posted my 71st round of 2009 and I live in Massachusetts. I did go on a Myrtle Beach and Florida which totaled about 20 rounds,. So I have 51 since April 1st.

No such thing as "too" much golf...

Did someone say loop-hole?

Yeah. The problem is, my son keeps saying he wants the pink junior set.

Looks like I have a little Mr. Paula Creamer on my hands.

Note: This thread is 3150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!