IGNORED

How Much Golf Is "Too Much" for Your Wife?

chriskzoo
Note: This thread is 3129 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here is a direct quote from my wife. "I don't care how much you golf or spend on golf, it's all you do."

Bet you guys wish you had one just like her. No, she doesn't have a sister.

My wife doesn't care how much I play, as long as I bring home some money - she is cool with me treating it as a second job, and not as an excuse to get away from the house.

BTW, my 'kids' have four legs, pointy ears, tails, and like to meow for food, so I'm pretty much set there.

I guess it just depends on something, but I'm never sure what.

Got up Sunday 6:30A played 18 home by 10. Clean house in preparation for open house. 3hrs into the open house she tells me I can go play again if I want, so I'm outta there. 36 holes that day and I play or practice almost every day I'm home.

On the flipside....

Played in the clubs 2 day match play tourney, which required a good deal of my weekend time. Texted her to tell her I won. She texted back "BFD" which made me chuckle. (that was another open house day where she had to do most of the cleaning & such, so I get it).

A lot of it depends on how she's feeling about the selling of the house and whether I'm tending to my manly duties around the ranch. I've only been really playing golf the last two summers, so this is new to her. But before golf was bicycle racing so she knows how competition can consume me and is always supportive. As others mentioned, I sometimes feel a hobby for her would come in handy.

Titleist 905R 9.5*
Cleveland Launcher FL 13*

Titleist 585h 19*
Titleist AP2 712 (3-P)

Ping Eye2 PW

Cleveland 588 56*
Odyssey 2ball 35"

Titleist NXT Tour

as soon as the thought enters my mind?

In my TMX stand bag:

R580XD 10.5* Stiff
'07 Burner 5 Wood 18*
'09 Burner Rescue Hybrid #3 19* Stiff 3dx Ironwood #4 Stiff Idea Tech OS 5-PW Vokey SM 52*-08 CG11 SM 58*-08 White Hot XG #2 33.5"

I always remind my missus that I could have far worse hobbies than golf...like frequenting strip joints!

Seriously though, I find it's all about balance. Golf outside of family time is not an issue, but if I do play golf in 'family' time, I'll always compensate her. A nice dinner usually does the trick

In the bag...

G10 9° Driver
G10 17° 4 Wood
G10 21° Hybrid i15 4-PW Tour-W Wedges 50/12 & 56/10 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Balls - Bridgestone B330-RX

i know a few guys whose relationship arent all that good... and their wives love it when they go out golfing... lol...
then you have the other guys whos wives do about the same amount shopping as they go play golf...
i think it gets tricky when very young sons & daughters are involved with the equation...
my bro and his wife utilize grandparents so he can play and she can shop...
you gotta find a happy/unhappy medium
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Scenario: Wife, 3 kids - 4, 2, 1

I think you are married to my wife's sister. That is such an argument she would make to me.

/J6

i15 w/Diamana Blue 9.5
G10 w/Prolaunch Red 17
Raylor 19* 909h 21 MB 4-PW Vokey Spin Milled 54* and 60* Circa 62 No 7

I have it made, my 11 year old son is interested in golf, so my wife cooks dinner by 3:30 everyday so we can get to the course by 4:30. Golf in my neighborhood is very cheap ($8 supertwilight for me, $30 for the whole summer for my son) so my son and I play everyday. It is father/son time so she never complains. BTW, she is also a great cook

I feel pretty lucky, my wife was very understanding. I have usually played in a league, play on the weekend and take a golf trip with the guys. When my kids were small, I would get very early tee times, by the time I got done playing on the weekends, everybody was just getting around.

Now the kids are grown and out of the house and I think my wife just enjoys the quite time at home.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

My wife has started golfing, so as long as I offer to take here every once in a while. (Like 9 holes a month) she is alright. However, right now I am living away for work during the week so she doens't care what I do at night. When we move back in together I bet my golf gets a little more stressful.

In the Bag:
Driver: R5 Draw
Fairway: Diamond Tour Turner Ablaze 3 Wood
Hybrid: R5 3 hybrid Currently for sale.
Irons: Diamond Tour Turner Ablaze Plus 3-SWPutter: Revolution Solid

I feel pretty lucky, my wife was very understanding. I have usually played in a league, play on the weekend and take a golf trip with the guys. When my kids were small, I would get very early tee times, by the time I got done playing on the weekends, everybody was just getting around.

Yeah, I try to play early on the weekends (before 7 if possible).

Oh, I forgot to mention that my wife likes to use my golf as the reason that things don't get done around the house, LOL. I was like "Seriously, you think the 15 hours or so I have golfed on the weekend the last 3 months is the reason some things haven't been finished?" I will grind her down and she will eventually accept it, LOL. Despit this, she's an awesome wife.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...
This week I have played 4 rounds and I was out of town on Sunday. I will play tomorrow morning so it will be 6 this week, maybe 7 if I play 2 rounds tomorrow and she doesnt care too much since it is mostly when she is at work. The days she is off, I tend not to play so we can hang out. But then again we both work at a golf course (her: wedding coordinator, me: golf shop) so I'm at the course all the time and my schedule allows me to play before or after work depending on which shift I am working.

Also we arent married yet, 2 weeks from tomorrow we will be.
Driver 983k 9.5°
3 Wood 906f2 15°
5 wood 906f2 18°
Irons 735 3-pw S300, Golf Pride Tour Velvet cord
Wedges Spin Milled 53°, Spin Milled 59°Putter Studio Select Newport 2Goals for '10:1. Get down to scratch or better

Well, you guys and gals are perhaps not going to believe this (I'd be skeptical myself) but today my wife tried to convince me that we should spend three nights at the hotel at Pebble Beach and take the package that includes two or three rounds (for me, she doesn't play). She checked it out on the internet while we were both at work. I had to argue her out of it right there on the phone this afternoon - do you have any idea what that package costs? We could stay at a very nice hotel somewhere else for a week and I could play every day for the same price, or less actually. We visited Carmel about a year ago (cancer research conference) and she got the idea then, driving along the coast, that I really HAD to play the course. We had dinner at the restaurant there at Pebble, forget the name, which was excellent and quite reasonably priced. Great photos on the walls. OK, maybe I'll play that course one day but right now I'd just be calculating what every shot cost me and I'm probably shoot three figures lol ......
[must have Scottish blood I guess]

My wife certainly encourages me in my game and always asks me what I scored after a round, but she also zealously guards our time together so I have to be careful not to overdo it. I don't play as much as I'd like actually, mainly because I feel a bit guilty going off and leaving her for 5 hours. She doesn't have a hobby of any kind really. When she's away on a business trip over a weekend I usually get one or two games in. No kids though which makes a big difference, I don't know how some of you family types manage it. Then again, I know a couple of guys who take their sons or daughters to play, which must be very nice if everyone has the right attitude.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Don't have a wife but my girlfriend wants me to teach her how to play since this entire summer I have been eating and breathing golf... ...

Driver Cleveland HiBORE XLS 9.5°

Hybrid 3I Adams A7

Irons 3-PW Wilson Air Power

Wedges Cleveland CG10 52° Chrome, Cleveland Reg. 588 56° Chrome, Cleveland Reg. 588 60° Gunmetal

Putter Cleveland Classic #3

Best Score 80 (+8) - July 22, 2011 @ Highland Woods Golf Course (Blue Tees - 71.7/122)

• Administrator
Don't have a wife but my girlfriend wants me to teach her how to play since this entire summer I have been eating and breathing golf... ...

I don't want to get off topic, so I'll just point out that the best advice in the various other threads about teaching your wife/girlfriend to play golf is "don't" - hire a professional.

I've been married for over four years now. Not long, I know, but long enough to know the fuzzy areas. How much is "too much" varies with her schedule, and mine, and the weather, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Who gives a rats A%% if she doesent like it she knows where the door is!!

I play once or twice a week and watch it every chance i get on TV, she watches with me most the time.

I might also add been married for 31 years and the kids are grown and GONE.

Chuck

I could golf everyday if I wanted. Have been playing about 3 rounds a week lately. I have a good little women!

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

Note: This thread is 3129 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!