IGNORED

How Much Golf Is "Too Much" for Your Wife?

chriskzoo
Note: This thread is 3151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I usually only play on Tuesdays(my day off) and sometimes Mondays if I get it off. My wife will gripe and complain most the time but not every time. If I want to GI to the course to practice that is an automatic argument so its hard to get any practice in. The real question here is whether my wife is hurting my golf game by limiting my practice so much its time to make drastic decisions 8-p

Man, people dig up some old threads around here, '09?

She thinks I'm nuts to play every free minute, but has no problem getting me out of the house, so the answer is there is no such thing as too much.

She thinks I'm nuts to play every free minute, but has no problem getting me out of the house, so the answer is there is no such things as too much.

I sure did, but that's because I was not here in '09 and could not answer it then. You have a very good arrangement there it sounds like.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My wife plays golf as much as I do.  Saturday and Sunday, we go to the course together, and play with different groups.  Tuesday night is men's 9-hole, Wednesday night is Ladies (she'll play 9 before the 9-hole league starts, so she plays 18), Friday is my normal practice session.  When we go on vacation, its usually for golf.  We spend Thanksgiving week every year at our condo in Pinehurst, and we both play golf 7 or 8 days straight.  We've been to Scotland and Ireland together, to Palm Springs and Phoenix, to Whistling Straits, always with golf included.

I could just be the luckiest golfer in the world!

Count me in on this luckiest list.  My wife and I started on golf together at age 48.   The rest is similar to what you stated above.   Back to OT ...  we get tired after 4 straight days of golf but I have unlimited pass from my wife for playing more if I can stand it.    Last week, we played two rounds in Nevada, and two rounds in CA in 4 days.   That was enough for both of us.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I am fairly new to the site, but it seems like it has happened a lot recently. I think @iacas "Lazarus" badge for the oldest thread resurrected.

- John

pssssst  ... get your wife to play & you get unlimited golf time & no grief.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

As long as I'm not neglecting my chores I can play as much as our social schedule allows - that means I can play as much as I want. B-)

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

My wife just looked over my shoulders while I was reading this thread read the title and made a sound with her lips. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I too am one of the lucky ones. I can play as much golf as I want. With all the pins, screws, and plates I carry around, she knows how important it is for me to stay active. She even schedules our golf road trips.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Thank god I am still single lol

In my :tmade: Burner Golf Bag

:tmade:R1 Black Driver 10.5 degrees

:tmade:RBZ 3-Wood

:tmade:Burner Superfast 2.0 3-hybrid

:tmade:Burner 2.0 irons 4-PW, AW, SW, LW

:tmade:Spiderblade putter

:adidas:Audizero Golf shoes

I had to laugh a little bit going through the thread ... it guess it did not work out well for a lot of the fellows back in '09 as they are not here any longer ... I made sure wife 3.0 came with unlimited golf ... I did not check that on the prior versions of wife ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Luckily, the lady understands that it's something I enjoy, just like she enjoys reading magazines and watching TV. It's all about balance, I guess. I could play as much golf as I wanted, but you have to be aware of the time you're spending, and use it well.

pssssst  ... get your wife to play & you get unlimited golf time & no grief.

I am working on that, also my partner's wife plays so we can hit her from multiple sides.  My personal thoughts are that she will play a bit and lose interest before actually learning it, its a hard game that requires a good investment of time upfront just to learn how to make contact with the ball, nevermind the legal book you need to be aware of also knows as the rules.  We will see how it goes, I am still hopeful.

For my wife, I think it's because she really doesn't have a hobby. I always tell her to take a class, etc - anything to be able to get out one night a week, but she doesn't think that's the issue.

I can't wait until the kids are all at least 2 or 3 and potty trained - then they are pretty much on auto-pilot and don't have to be tended to at all times.

That sounds familiar.  My problem is we just moved to Florida 4 months ago.  Before we moved, I would play maybe 3 times a year.  Since we moved down here, I started playing in a Saturday league with her step dad and a Tuesday work league.  She doesn't do anything but take care of the kids (stay at home mom).  She hasn't made any friends yet and doesn't have any hobbies so I get a lot of crap about the amount of golf I play.  I tell her we moved down here so she could be closer to her mom, so I get to play golf.  I play twice a week and hit the range once a week...anymore than that is like pulling teeth.

- David -

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo

Woods: 3W - Callaway X2 Hot

Hybrid: 4 Walter Hagan

Irons: Callaway X-Hot 4 - AW 

Wedge: 52* - Cleveland CG15 Zip Black, 60* - Generic 

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #3

My wife took up golf after we got married in an attempt to spend more time with me while I was out on the course. We played 1-2 times per week, entered a few "couples" tourneys and she actually got pretty decent in a short period of time. She played golf up until her 6th month of pregnancy. She hasn't played in 18 months. I try to play once a week. It's usually accepted/expected. Once in a while I squeeze in a 2nd weekly round bc of a tourney or a friend in town on a golf trip.

For the sake of a long term marriage, I think getting away from each other in a positive way can help a marriage. From experience, it does help if she has a hobby, whether it is investing, book clubs, biking, etc. If you can join each other once in a while in a common sport/hobby, it may help.

If the wife plays golf, even better, as she will know that it is a tough game and requires practice and play - that may be the best case scenario other than living as a single.

If the wife is needy and "needs" you around, the problems are more than golf.

If you have kids, I started taking mine to the course at 4, and they would play with army men and dig holes in the sand trap, after hitting a few balls and very few words of instruction. We'd have putting and chipping contests. It works for the wife -- she has free time, and that gets you eventual free time.

Of course, if the kids are grown, and you are single and in your 50's, it's great for your golf. Many of us no longer feel the need to have a partner, or it's difficult to find one, so go play golf.  Travel, visit the kids, play golf with them, and go vacation to golf destinations. After work, hit the range. Give yourself permission to budget a lesson and that new driver.

Of course, you can budget time and golf necessities with the wife -- but I think it does help if she's knows something about the game.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!