IGNORED

HELP ME ... I can't chip

Note: This thread is 6460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What would you recommend

It depends on what's between you and the target, but maye a 7-iron? Pelz showed that the most accurate chipping club is the lowest lofted club you can still get to the target. The only time I use a wedge to chip is if I am severely short-sided and sitting just off the fringe where I want VERY little roll.

one thing u might want to experiment with is your setup, especially your feet. i chip wiht my feet practically facing toward my target, it helps me hit the ball more downward, but i too struggle with my chipping too (but my problem is more leaving myself wiht 4-8 footers and being a sucky putter)

In My Bag:
9.5 degree Mizuno MX-500
15 degree Titliest 904F
Mizuno MP-32 3-PW
Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 52 degree
Vokey Spin-Milled 56.14
Ping i5 Anser

I took my first chipping lesson not long ago and I've been practicing chipping just about every day. MY biggest issue was getting the ball up in the air and from constantly practicing I've found that it was my follow through. I think it was a matter of confidence. I thought the follow through would send the ball flying but the opposite was happening. I'd send the ball rolling off the green. That and making sure the ball is lined up with your back foot to promote a downward strike. I still have some work to do but at least through practice I've found MY answer. Your answer may be different but I thought I'd share.

In my bag:

King Cobra 9.5 Driver

Tight Lies 3 Fairway Wood Zing2 3 to 9 irons, SW, PW, Putter Lob Wedge

• 2 weeks later...
I havent read every post, but i'd like to share what I was taught..

Around the greens I choke down on the club (get more control). I try and take a club that will give the needed ball flight that will allow me to keep the swing type most like a putting stroke.. (pendulum). This has helped me keep a consistent swing, reducing the amount of chunked shots... I took some time off of golf, but that worked great for me.. As far as feet position... This is tough for me as i never really paid much attention to my feet... On a flat surface my feet are straight forward like an ordinary shot. Ball position on a flat surface is in the middle of my feet. (uphill lies its towards the front)

I dont really know how "proper" my style is, but it works well for me.. It may be worth a try!?

Titleist 983K 8.5* Prolite V2 stiff
Callaway Hawk VFT 3 Stiff
Taylor Made 16 & 21* Raylors
TM oversised irons 3-sw Rifle stl shafts
Titleist Vokey spin milled 60*Titleist Vokey 52* Tour

Didn't read page two but I have a couple thoughts:

I was having a lot of trouble chipping around the green as well, I was using a SW on these shots (high bounce). I was either chunking them or having trouble getting them to the hole. I finally switched to using the PW more frequently which helped a great deal.

I still needed something that I was confident in using when I needed to get out of a bad lie or over a bunker though so I picked up a 60* wedge. I now use the PW anytime I have a chip from a tight lie that will not require a severe elevation increase. I also like to use the PW from very "fluffy" lies, as I often go right under the ball with the 60* wedge. The only time I go away from these "rules" is when I have very little green to work with.

Also, I prefer an open stance with my feet close together and probably 80% of my weight on the forward foot. I like to forward press slightly, cock my wrists on the back swing, and pinch down on the ball w/o breaking my wrists (holding my follow-through).

Personally, I haven't been able get comfortable chipping with different irons. I'm not sure that the time it takes to learn how the ball comes off the face of each iron (I always would hit them too hard, couldn't get the right feel) is worth it when you can just use 2 wedges, one of which provides a low running shot, the other a high, soft landing shot. I would rather master 2 wedges than be average with many different irons around the green.

Note: This thread is 6460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!