IGNORED

Have you been professionally fitted?

Quinn07
Note: This thread is 5114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Have you ever been professionally fittted?

• Yes
    • No

Shin,

The technology developed is fantastic. It's just a matter of using it properly. I'm still a big fan of dynamic fitting, and I will likely go for one at some point in the future, although not this location.

As for the Aerotech, I've read that it's actually a combo shaft. Meaning, that they have a graphite core and steel fiber that covers the entire shaft. This is one shaft that comes highly praised from the folks at Scratch Golf. (They make sweet wedges BTW)

AeroTech are probably great shafts. Of course, the ones I had were the wrong length, and that was probably the biggest factor in my improved ball striking when I switched back.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The funny thing to me is that every instructor and pga pro i have ever talked to stressed the importance of mid to high handicappers having properly fitted clubs over low handicappers....
They basically all said that a good/great golfer can with some minor adjustments hit any club any size, but a mid/hig handicapper will be more consistant alot quicker when they have clubs in there hands that help produce a easy natural swing and clubs that fit that swing.

People like me on the extreme edge of the scales can really benefit from fitting. Problem is there's no easy way to know if you are someone like me. Even fitting pros are surprised at my results, but the results have been consistent each of the 4 times I've been through it. Not typical, but consistent. There is also no question it makes a tremendous difference.

The way PING does it, I don't know why everyone wouldn't go to a demo day. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. Not only that it's the only way I'll ever see my launch angle and spin rates on an $80,000.00 doppler radar launch monitor. The PING fitters have always been professional and no pressure to buy, so why not?

The way PING does it, I don't know why everyone wouldn't go to a demo day. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. Not only that it's the only way I'll ever see my launch angle and spin rates on an $80,000.00 doppler radar launch monitor. The PING fitters have always been professional and no pressure to buy, so why not?

I've read that Ping offers two different types of fittings. Both are dynamic but one is even more intricate. This is where they digitally measure the lofts of the driver, woods, hybrids and putters. They come up with lofts like 10.6 and such. They also measure specifically for the irons in a similar fashion. Is this what you experienced?

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Having been through the Ping process 4 times over 10 years, the process has changed as technology has changed. Only recently have they integrated the launch monitor, and at $80K a pop, I'm sure they only have a few in the field making the rounds. I have no doubt that Ping has the ability to measure clubs loft and lie electronically, but not sure if they do that in the field. When they fit you, they have you hitting their clubs, clubs they already know the specs for. They may have you hit your existing clubs to observe flight characteristics and measure launch angle and spin rates (performance characteristics), but that's to establish a basis for comparison I think. After all, it matters less what a club actually measures statically than how it performs dynamically. I believe it is quite possible, for instance, to have clubs from different manufacturers with identical static specs that perform very differently. I really enjoyed having access to that launch monitor. I was able to see the actual moment of impact on a laptop much like watching the high-def slow-mo Swingvision stuff you see on TV. No Peter Kostis available for commentary, though, which was probably a good thing in my case.

• 2 months later...

I had an amazing 4.5 hour fitting in the Taylormade Performance Lab, including time on the range; the pro / master fitter was fantastic. In addition to data, it's great to have a dvd with 24 swings captured (pw, 6i, driver, putter) and spotted some things to improve upon.

Can't wait until my new sticks arrive.

Golf Headquarters, I would call it semi-pro but I think he did what he was supposed to do. I ended up with 2* up on my clubs and he concurred that there was no real advantage to graphite on my 7-A irons, so that made them cheaper. When they came in I had them retape every club so I could see that the 2* was right and every club struck dead center on the sole.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

In recent years, there has been a tremendous rise in the demand for custom-fit clubs. To meet this demand, OEM manufacturers began marketing custom-fit clubs as one of their areas of expertise. But, the reality is that with a little smoke and mirrors routine, they deliver nothing more than another production line set of clubs. By merely using clubhead speed as the key to fitting clubs, they do not need personal contact, nor do they need to deviate from the standard frequency slope or their production procedures. The majority of the OEM manufacturers continue to push clubhead design as the answer to our performance problems, and they change them each and every year and tell us they will improve our games even more than last year's model. More than likely, last year's model did absolutely nothing for your game either, unless you just happened upon the correct shaft frequency for your swing.

The publication "Golf Shop Operations" reported last year that 33 golf club companies offered some sort of formal clubfitting process. More recently, "Golf Digest's" online poll disclosed that nearly 90% of those surveyed believed that they would benefit from custom-fit clubs, but only 33% of those same respondents had ever been fitted. Do yourselves a favor and get your clubs professionally fit.
Driver - Kenneth Smith 460 Classic Grafalloy Blue
Woods - Kenneth Smith 3 & 5 Woods Grafalloy Blue
Irons - Kansas City KC-102 Musclebacks Harrison Professional Shafts
Wedges - Kansas City 56* & 60* KCM-Grinds Harrison Professional Shafts
Putter - Kansas City Prototype

I did a quick search and found a few threads about getting fitted, but I am curious to know who here has actually been fitted and did you notice an immediate impact?

Yes and Yes.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I am between 5'-7" & 5'8" and all of my hybrids/woods "feel" long for me. I also tend to lean over the ball a bit more than most (think Paula Creamer w/o the body and cute face :))

I understand most clubs are for someone around 5'10" which is not planets away from my size however a 5'10" man is noticibly bigger than I both in arm length and overall height.

With all of this said have any of you of shorter stature found that they needed shorter clubs?

I would like to get fitted however the only places I know in my area (St. Louis) are the chain stores.

Nonsense. I'm not sure why you're trying to downplay the importance of fitting, but you're

He's not talking crap as you so nicely put it. What's the point of being fit for a swing that's going to evolve as you get better? The point is the OEMs etc can sting you for a new set/fitting session (probably many times over) sometime in the future.

If you are Joe average who can pick up a standard set and it fits, then it's all well and good. But what about if the player really needs a different lie angle - a couple of deg up or flat, you think using standard lie angles is really going to help them improve?

Most of us will find a "standard" set fine.

To all the folks wondering about fitting.

Waste of money IMHO. Just another way to make people think they haven't actually got to work at developing a good swing/game themselves; I mean why would they? They can buy a game these days right? New driver, new putter, fitting...all the latest whizz-bang technology every season. Nice work for the OEMs if they can get it.

In recent years, there has been a tremendous rise in the demand for custom-fit clubs. To meet this demand, OEM manufacturers began marketing custom-fit clubs as one of their areas of expertise. But, the reality is that with a little smoke and mirrors routine, they deliver nothing more than another production line set of clubs. By merely using clubhead speed as the key to fitting clubs, they do not need personal contact, nor do they need to deviate from the standard frequency slope or their production procedures. The majority of the OEM manufacturers continue to push clubhead design as the answer to our performance problems, and they change them each and every year and tell us they will improve our games even more than last year's model.

Precisely. In a nutshell. Hit the nail on the head. It's another way to part us from our money.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

I voted no, but that is not entirely correct. I have been fitted, but I did not agree with him on any of his recomendations. He was basing his recomendations on swing speed, spin rate launch angle only. My driver swing speed averaged around 105 with my spin rate being in the low 3000's and my lunch angle was 10 degrees. He told me I need a light weight, stiff shafted driver with about 10.5 degrees of loft because I "need" to hit the ball higher with less spin to get more carry, which will increase overall distance. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! When I told him I load and release the club different than most people so a light weight, regular stiff flex driver will not work, he looked at me like I just shot him in the back.

So, he brings out this driver he already has made up and tells me it is what I should be hitting to gain accuracy and distance. I hit it and the numbers were better.. almost perfect. But then I started to hit it compared to my driver. He watched as I hit the "perfect" driver 20 yards shorter then my "not perfect" driver. After a while I had to mention that the numbers do lie sometimes. Just because the numbers are perfect does not mean anything when you get out on the course. You have to find one you like and can control.. numbers be damned.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

• 2 months later...
Voted "No". Bought my first set of clubs was purchased when I just started playing golf a few months ago. I had played a bit (for a few months) many years ago on my dad's clubs, but I really had no clue what I was doing. There was no point in any fitting beyond simply picking out something I liked.

Played around with a selection of putters and bought the one that felt most comfortable to me, regardless of brand. I tried several different 7-irons and chose the one I felt most comfortable with. Trying the in stock choices, I really liked the heavier swingweight and the feel at impact of the set I have now. Chose the closest I could get to matching wedges. Bought my woods a month later. As with the irons, felt more comfortable with something a bit heavier feeling.

I plan to develop my game with these clubs. I knew that I was buying clubs that aren't intended for a beginning golfer, but I hoped that they would push me to really improve my technique. My instructor has tried my clubs (driver, 7i, SW) and told me that he likes them a lot. Works for me. After I develop a solid and consistent swing, I'll allow myself to get fitted for whatever my dream set might be. But until then, I'll learn on these.

My beloved Pinke Gin:

G15 woods (1, 3, 5, R flex, Nike VR grips)
VR split cavity (3-PW, DG S300)
VR wedges (54-12, 60-6, DG S400) White Hot Tour #1 putter e6 golf balls

I am going as soon as i can with my clubs, no rush as of now since i live in Michigan and its snowing. I do have a net though to practice and such in the garage so i would rather get it done sooner then later.

I've read a lot of people saying No and their reasons why.
Personally i have to choke down and scoot up to my ball to get my lie on my club to sit flat on ground. im 5'6 and i think my wrist was 32" which means i need a -3 degree lie on my clubs which makes sense.

I have no doubt in my mind that i will see improvements in my clubs especially in my wedge's.

my swing with my clubs unfitted is not comfortable at all.

** I think when you buy clubs off the shelf they are made for the Average person according to height and wrist height. Which would make it ok for a lot of people in the world not to get fitted.

on the other hand even if your clubs head is correct, your shaft flex could be wrong which could cause problems too..

Bag
Sumo 5900 9.5d
Sumo 3 & 5 Woods Pro launch shafts
Victory Red Split cavity 4-pw
Victory Red Wedges 52/10,56/14/60,10 White hot Putter / Balls

Personally i have to choke down and scoot up to my ball to get my lie on my club to sit flat on ground. im 5'6 and i think my wrist was 32" which means i need a -3 degree lie on my clubs which makes sense.

You won't be disappointed after you have your clubs fitted. I am also 5'6 with a 31" wrist. I had been playing with an old set of stock clubs that my father had and I always had to choke down. At first the fitted clubs felt short for me even though I was used to choking down on my old ones. Now I love them, I have gained distance and control.

I sent my mom to get fitted because she stands only 4'10 and wasn't able to swing a stock set properly. It was after talking to her that I decided to go and get fitted myself. For the price of a middle - upper end set of stock clubs, you can get fitted for about the same price.

Here's what's in my ogio.gif Grom...

wishon.gifDriver: 919 THI 460cc 9°
wishon.gifWoods: 915 F/H 16° and 21°
wishon.gifIrons: 752 TC 5-9, PW, AW, SWtaylormade.gifPutter: Rossa - Suzukatitleist.gifNXT Tour

Yes, I have been fit and yes it made a difference. I am average height at 5'-10" but my lie angle is 3* flat. With a standard set I do not hit the ball as consistently as with the fitted clubs. I do think a standard set if fine for a beginner, but when you are ready to get serious, get fit.

nike.gifTour
ping.gifG10 Driver 9*
ping.gifG10 3Wood 15.5*ping.gifG10 5Wood 18.5*ping.gifG10 Irons 4- PWping.gifTour Wedges 50*, 56*, 60*odyssey.gifPutter 33" Sabertoothbridgestone.gifBall E6

• 3 months later...
I got fit after working with my pro to get a consistent swing. No either/or about it. You need to work with a pro to get your swing in shape, and when it is, you should get fitted too. What people are describing as ball speed and spin rate only, or static fit only, won't cut it. I would recommend you working with a pro on your swing, and letting that same pro fit you, not just based on height, etc., but based on real results off of a real lie board.

Note: This thread is 5114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!