IGNORED

Have you been professionally fitted?

Quinn07
Note: This thread is 5112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Have you ever been professionally fittted?

• Yes
    • No

I just had a 2+ hour fitting from a guy that is mobile, he charges $99 and that includes all the tweeking of your clubs for loft and lie etc.

Just bending the club head is cheap. Cleveland Golf did it for me for free.

Does the $99 include the new shafts? If so, unless he's using low cost shafts and grips at $2-5 a club, it's a pretty good deal.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's crazy. The most expensive place around here is $5 a club, and he does tour pros (I actually got referred to him by a tour pro). He was the only guy that could do my Cleveland 588, too. It includes a fit not on a monitor, but an actual range, with a PGA pro. I would never ever pay $125 for a dynamic fitting, but maybe that's just me.

Apparently there's a whole certification process these guys go through which also depends on what equipment they have. The lie adjustment is cheap, Cleveland did mine for free. I'm guessing it's the knowing that's so pricy.

Just bending the club head is cheap. Cleveland Golf did it for me for free.

The $99 was for the fittimg, not the shafts, he said that the lie and loft was OK but needed to be one degree flatter which wasn't too bad, the thing that was more prominent to me was the inconsistancy in the adila shafts that I have at the moment I have ordered the new shafts which are 100g mid kick, I will let you know how it works out.

My goal is to get to a single digit hcp by Jan 1st as of April 1st I am 14.1, I have been told that a proper club fitting and some short game lessons should get me there.

Driver: Taylormade R9
3 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
5 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
7 Wood: Cobra S 9-1

Irons: Taylormade r7 Custom Fit (SW-4)

Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza Spyder

Balls: Titleist Pro V1x

When I got my MP-57s, I got fit by the Mizuno representative and I'm exceptionally glad that I did.

Same here, but my fitting was a brief session, indoors, and only told me I was standard all the way around. Go figure!

Like others, I've always "fit" myself, mostly through trial and error. But I've heard so many raves for the wonders of fitting -- not just in golf mags but from fellow golfers -- that I definitely plan to do it next time I'm in the market. Cheers, DoctorK

Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears.
~~Bobby Jones~~

The $99 was for the fittimg, not the shafts, he said that the lie and loft was OK but needed to be one degree flatter which wasn't too bad, the thing that was more prominent to me was the inconsistancy in the adila shafts that I have at the moment I have ordered the new shafts which are 100g mid kick, I will let you know how it works out.

So your guy is a bit 20% cheaper. Call it the California tax.

Besides the inconsistency in your shaft, what else did you get out of the fitting? If the new shafts don't work out, will he replace it for free? I had my lie adjusted 2 degrees flatter, think it knocked 3-5 strokes off.

So your guy is a bit 20% cheaper. Call it the California tax.

The shaft issue was the main thing, I have to be half inch shorter on the shafts and 1° flatter lie.

If the shafts don't work out he will change them out for another set free of charge and I would have to pay the difference in the cost of the shafts, also he said if at anytime in the future that I want to change the heads for some custom ones that he has they would be a free install and any future adjustments are free.

The shaft issue was the main thing, I have to be half inch shorter on the shafts and 1° flatter lie.

Wondering what prompted you to get the fitting? From yours and my friend's experience, there doesn't seem to be large issues that gets discovered. Length and lie are simple enough that you can almost do yourself.

If's it's an equipment consistency issue, then there are shops that can help you upgrade. I apologize if I sound offensive, just trying to figure out the value of the process. It just seems very vague and hard to evaluate.

Wondering what prompted you to get the fitting? From yours and my friend's experience, there doesn't seem to be large issues that gets discovered. Length and lie are simple enough that you can almost do yourself.

As I said before the big issue was the shafts because the shaft flex was inconsistant throughout the set and the swing weight per club was wrong on several clubs, which is the reason I struggle to hi my 4I but my 5I no problem and then the same again with my PW.

So with my new shafts installed I should be able to hit every club in the bag with the same consistancy and all the irons should feel in the same tempo, as one another and no whip feel in one and not the other, if that makes sense?

You know when I bought my first set of clubs, No. When I bought my second set of clubs, sorta. I had them lengthened, but I didn't know anything about lie angle, etc... My third and current set I didn't get fitted either. I tried to, but the guy at "Golfsmith" said I was fine. He had me swing, put the tape on the club, etc... and everything was square in the middle. For some reason (besides my face constantly being open) I still fade EVERYTHING! Lately ive been wondering if I should go get a second opinion...? I try to take all the excuses out of my game, that when I play bad I know its just me.

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

As I said before the big issue was the shafts because the shaft flex was inconsistant throughout the set and the swing weight per club was wrong on several clubs, which is the reason I struggle to hi my 4I but my 5I no problem and then the same again with my PW.

Thanks. Please us posted on how you do with the new shafts.

I have not, but will definitely do so next time I'm in the market for new sticks. In fact, the idea of getting properly fit will likely move up that timetable considerably. Looking forward to it, based on all I've read and heard.

Sean

My current set is off the shelf but I bought some new Callaways last week at Golfsmith and got fitted for those. I don't know if it's professional or not but the guy that helped me spent a good deal of time with me. Did the usual measurements with height and wrist length then he had me hit off the lie board about 10 times just to make sure the lie angle adjustment was correct. I do know that if I hadn't had him help me out I would have lost out on free shaft upgrades from Callaway. He was actually surprised when he brought it up in the computer and then we went and spent 15 minutes swinging different shaft types - ended up with KBS. I guess it couldn't hurt to have it re-evaluated every so often, which I plan on doing.

I also had the irons set to be delivered to Golfsmith and I plan on hitting them there to make sure everything is correct. For driver and other clubs, never been fitted, but my next driver will be. I don't know why someone wouldn't at least get a static fit when it is free and you can possibly get some changes made for no charge.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

I did a quick search and found a few threads about getting fitted, but I am curious to know who here has actually been fitted and did you notice an immediate impact?

Absolutely, for me it was like night and day, everyone should get fitted for clubs, from loft and lie to shaft flex and grip size, the right clubs make all the difference in the world

My advice..don't get fitted until you have a decent game goin' for you (i.e. single dig handicap). Most irons are one size fit all except for really tall or short people. It's just a big hassel and if you change setup or posture you may be in trouble. So i mean it is a personal choice and more power to you if you do.

I think fitting is important for everyone. Even a beginner. Having the correct iron length and shaft flex is very important for everyone. Can't imagine someone with the wrong length on their irons. Their shots will all over the place.

Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

I think fitting is important for everyone. Even a beginner. Having the correct iron length and shaft flex is very important for everyone. Can't imagine someone with the wrong length on their irons. Their shots will all over the place.

Yes, you can never truly learn to swing a club that doesn't fit you. You need to get a static fit even if you're just beginning. You can start with some old goodwill clubs, but as soon as you go to buy new or decent used clubs, it's time to be fitted.

Note: This thread is 5112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!