IGNORED

Video of my swing, need suggestions

Note: This thread is 5356 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here's a video of my swing, 7 iron. I usually hit it about 155 yards.

Typical ball flight is mid trajectory. Good shot is a straight shot or an ever so slight push that draws back a couple yards.

Bad shot(and becoming my normal shot ) is a huge draw/hook that has the same trajectory and starts straight.

I need to get rid of this hook, it's killing me. I used to hit a fade sometimes, I wanted to straighten it out a little though so I worked on that and now I can't hit a fade even when I want to most of the time. I don't really care about that at this point though. I just need to get my ball flight straightened out whether it's a small draw, straight or a small fade makes no difference to me. Although I'll take the dead straight shot given the choice.

If I had the money I'd buy some irons with less offset but I gotta work with what I have for now.

I've been thinking I might need to change my grip to get rid of the hook as well but I'll let others be the judge of that. I have 2.5 knuckles showing on my left hand and the V on my right hand points to my right ear. I'd like to get a picture but nobody's home right now to take it for me.

http://www.swingacademy.com/swingana...l.aspx?id=3562

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This was my problem for a while too, now my handicap isnt the greatest but I blame that on my short game My irons are usually really really solid.

So, with that said, you are taking your club straight back to the inside on your takeaway. Spotted it instantly because I used to do the same thing. Go straight back till your club is parallel to the ground. And move your shoulders, arms, and hands together as on unit when you do this.

I guarantee that will straighten out your shots!

Jim

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

It looks like you may be taking the club a little too inside, or flat, which may be causing your big hook. It's fine to play like that but if it's gets too flat, and too inside, and you have a strong grip, you can forget it - you'll probably hook the hell out of it...which is what i do on my misses too, so you're not alone!!!!

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I need to get rid of this hook, it's killing me. I used to hit a fade sometimes, I wanted to straighten it out a little though so I worked on that and now I can't hit a fade even when I want to most of the time.

Sounds like you overcorrected, whatever you did. maybe reverse what you did a little...

In my bag:
r7 9.5, 47"
18* burner rescue 08
x-18, 3-Pw
cg14 camo, 52* 56* 60* DFX 5500, blade, $70 jewel.. ........Jack herer....mountain dew......You know you wanna play here, pony up::http://www.lakeofisles.com/golf/nort...seflyover.html

I've tried that a little bit but have had mixed results. Like anything else in golf it will take time, I understand that. Just looking for any tips people might have.

- Joel

Stop the video at impact... your lower body has not opened up so while it looks like a good fluid turn, your weight shift and lower body are not driving enough. Another little indicator of a problem here is your right foot winds up with the heel tilted to the right (from behind) on your finish, a bit of a spin out move. Drive your lower body forward and your right thigh through the ball so that from behind one can see the left hip pocket appear clearly at impact. You will not get "belt buckle to the target" but usually a little more turn through and getting weight left early will straighten up a pull or too much hook.

Also, an old tip that might help is to feel like your right elbow is pointed down to the ground a bit more at impact... it won't do that, but it will get your swing more "hands ahead" and swing path more down the line.

RC

The reason you may be hooking it is due to your hands being pretty far inside. overall though, great swing

Clubs:
Driver: Ping Rapture 10.5 degree, Stiff Flex shaft
Fairway Wood: Ping Rapture 17* - Stiff Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway Heaven Wood 20* Firm Flex
Irons: Titleist 704 CB (Forged) (4-PW), Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsWedges: Titleist Vokey 52 and 58 degreePutter: Odessy White Hot XG Model #1Bag: Ping HooferBa...

Pause your video when the club is at your waist.

Now pause this video when the club is at Tiger's waist

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

So basically I need to work on my hip action to get them more open at impact and fix some small plane issues.

- Joel

And not come inside so much on the takeaway. You are clearly athletic, and that is strongly in your favor. Pay attention to the right foot thing. It is such a small part of the swing but it tells you a great deal about your balance. There are some pros that tilt the foot on the finish, but a perfectly balanced weight shift and turn will be straight up and down -- a big clue as to your mechanics.

RC

Do you think if I push more off the inside of my right foot instead of lifting it so much this should help get my hips more open and put my right foot in a better position? Obviously I still need to start the downswing with the hips as well.

I've got Hogan's 5 Lessons here, I'll have to do some reading on those parts.

- Joel

A proper weight shift and hip turn is complicated, but simple as well. If you were throwing a ball 3/4 underhanded from shortstop to first base, you would take your arm back in front of you and not behind you, brace against your right leg, shove weight left and clear the hips to whip your arm forward... it is a simple athletic move that comes second nature when throwing, but once a golf club is in someone's hands, the idea of hitting "at" the ball seems to disrupt this natural flow. Swing with that natural flow and let the "hitting" of the ball be a result. The quest to get it down perfectly never ends.

Mimic the throwing motion and you will get the idea of how the weight moves and the hips open up. Some call it the "skipping a flat rock on water" drill.

RC

Earlier today I practiced getting my club at a better angle and rotating my hips earlier in the swing. I played 18 holes before dark and I saw a little improvement which is nice. It will take time though, I understand that.

One thing I need to watch out for is when I try to rotate my hips more I have the tendency to shift laterally towards the target alot. Maybe I'll setup something to touch my left hip so I can stop the lateral shift. That lateral shift is leading to poor, fat/thin.

- Joel

Well, you need a little lateral shift, that is part of the turn back to the ball. It is typical, however, when learning to clear the left hip, to hit thin shots at first. Your swing will be more oval, and have a wider, flat bottom, so it takes time to get back to "measuring" to the ball. You still want ball first then divot.

It does take time. Typically a month or two. Along the way, guard against letting the hips rotate too far on the backswing -- feel the right leg and hip resisting, and keep the club in front of you as best you can. You will soon start to shape your shot with your body. All I think about to hit a draw is just to let the arms drop a little more as the turn unwinds. Good luck.

RC

Do my hips rotate too far on the backswing right now? It looks like a pretty small amount of hip turn to me?

- Joel

No, I was not talking about your swing particularly, only a generalized statement that as people learn the modern rotating swing, the forward turn is so dominating that sometimes a person can get into turning too much on the backswing. You want a big shoulder turn. It is not uncommon for early stage golfers to think they are getting a big shoulder turn with what is really a fake turn... if the hips go around too much, there really is not much of a shoulder turn. I think of shoulder turn as the difference between the hips and shoulders, the amount of coil.

Search the web for pictures of Jamie Sadlowski -- that is a shoulder turn, a freakishly huge shoulder turn.

RC

Here's a video of my swing, 7 iron. I usually hit it about 155 yards.

Howdy shorstop20,

If you look at frame 11, you will see that your take away is (as everyone pointed out) inside. That being said, the reason that it is too inside is that your sequence or your first move back has too much body rotation and not enough hinge work (the old one piece takeaway) as distinguished from the club coming back with cleaner hinges or wrist set. If you look on frame 30 on the downswing, you will see that your shaft is splitting your right forearm. This is the position that you want on frame 11 in order to become un-stuck. If you watch TV golf and the camera is behind the golfer, you will notice that the first third of the takeaway, the majority of golfers have the shaft disecting both arms, creating a vertical angle of asscent (think of your first move as the thumbs on both hands going to the sky as your body rotates) which is important to have the club in front of you so that you may have a vertical angle of descent. Your body rotation on the downswing is solid and if you try the "thumbs up" drill, you might be surprised! In my opinion, the best swing is the one with the least amount of recovery. Food for thought... Cheers, Ron

Former baseball player? That front foot looks like a baseball swing's lead foot trapped in a golf swing. As others said work on the hip turn, and keep that front foot more stable. Better balance and consistency should come as a result.

HiBore XLS 9.5*
Launcher 15*
Rescue 21*
X-20 Tour 4-PW
CG10 50*, CG12 56*, 60*Pixl L1.8 (8 years and running)

Note: This thread is 5356 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!