IGNORED

What wedges do you play? Do you give up any other clubs for another wedge?

Note: This thread is 4396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just curious what the general area is on the number and degree of wedges that people use out there. I currently have a 47 degree pitching wedge, 56 degreee sand wedge, and a 60 degree lob wedge. I think I'm going to be adding a 53 or 54 at the cleveland demo day coming up.

If you have a 4th wedge what club do you give up?

I lay a cleveland pitch- special 49, a cleveland 52 cg10, and a cleveland 56cg10, and a Cleveland Tour Action 588 sand wedge. So i usually throw out the 3 iron.

Hi,

at the moment I am playing a
45° Pitching Wegde (AP1)
50° Gap Wedge (AP1) for full shots mostly
50° Vokey (mainly for chips, and when I want to put backspin on the ball)
54° Vokey
58° Vokey

On the other end I am playing a driver, 3/5 wood, 19°/22° hybrid.
Irons from 5-9

I can leave gaps in the long clubs, becuase I am spraying everything longer than 150yds anyway. I am not trying to reach greens if it is more than 150yds away.

So I can easily live with with only three woods/hybrids and starting from 5i up.
However, in the short game I like my options.

From the clubs in your signature, I would say give up the 5 wood or 21º hybrid. They two clubs are pretty much the same, only a couple of degree difference. You could make some swing adjustments and the 5 wood could become the 21º.

You have a lot of long clubs in your bag. Think back at your rounds and try and remember how many times you hit each one, versus the amount of times you might have a shot where you would like to hit a GW. You might be surprised to think that you don't need all the long clubs. The gaps between each of them can't be that much. It is probably little enough that there is at least one of them you don't hit that often.

I carry a 13º 3-wood and a 19º hybrid, then a 24º 4-iron. Those three clubs cover anything over 200 yards. I have found that if I am that far away, I don't need to be exactly accurate, so these clubs work out just fine. I would much rather have a smaller yardage gap with wedges, then with long clubs.

Right now I'm carrying a 47*, 52*, and 58*. If I'm playing a course where the layout/traps demand a dedicated higher bounce sand wedge, I'll add in a 56* and remove the 12* Hybrid. I'd probably also switch the 58* to a 60* if I was carrying a 56*.

I agree with goblue that it probably be best to give up either your 5 wood or 21* hybrid - personally, I'd lean toward taking out the 5 wood.

From your current makeup, I'd say add a 52 or 53. Adding a 54 is only 2* below your sand, but it would be 7* above your pitching wedge. If you went with a 52*, you'd be 5* above pitching, and 4* below your sand.

Just my $0.02.

I recently got a new set of irons where the PW is 45*. My current wedge setup is 52*, 56*, 60*. I've flirted with the idea of adding a 48* in between my PW and Gap wedge because I still have room in my bag for one more club. It's between a 3 wood and a 48* at the moment. I'm just not sure a 488 is absolutely necessary at the moment.

Went and got myself fitted this year - my PW was a strong 47 and 54 was actually 55. So first thing's first I was told, fill the gap with at 51.

I actually got new irons with a 47 custom fitted and a 51 degree Cleveland DSG RTG. Love this club. Went and got a 56 (bent to 55) and 60 (bent to 59).

Now my settup is:

Taylormade Tour Preferred PW 47 degrees
Cleveland 51
Cleveland 55
Cleveland 59

...making it an even 4 degree gap between each one.

Sacraficed a 3 iron for this - have less use for a 3 iron. Have a gap between 5 wood and 4 iron now (17.5 up to 24) but getting a 19 degree 5 wood to make it a smaller gap.

You'll love Cleveland wedges!

I agree with goblue that it probably be best to give up either your 5 wood or 21* hybrid - personally, I'd lean toward taking out the 5 wood.

I think 3 wood (or equivalently lofted hybrid) is the obvious choice here. I wouldn't worry about adding a wedge unless you have a huge distance gap between the PW and GW, and if you did, I'd just pay $5 and have the 52* bent to a 51* or 50*. If you have a Dick's Sporting Goods in the area stop in and see if you can pick up a Nickent 15.5* hybrid for $39, really great club.

Just curious what the general area is on the number and degree of wedges that people use out there. I currently have a 47 degree pitching wedge, 56 degreee sand wedge, and a 60 degree lob wedge. I think I'm going to be adding a 53 or 54 at the cleveland demo day coming up.

I would look for a 52 to fill the gap between PW and SW. I would give up the 60 degree.

currently im just using a PW and 2 wedges. i was using 3 wedges for awhile (52,56,60) but i found that i rarely used my 56º wedge. so i went the 53º, 58º route instead. that way i was able to put my 4 iron back in my bag

I play a strong 46* PW, 52* Vokey, and 56* Vokey. I'm just starting out so I'm getting a feel for what I can do with the clubs, but I've been tempted to try a 60* and pull my 5 wood.

Ive got a 45* PW, 52* and 60*. Im thinking about removing my 3-iron and replacing it with a 56*.
I often find that Im hitting shots that are in between the 52* and 60* and since I dont use my 3-iron very often, Im thinking of removing the 3-iron with a 56*.

Think I'm going to get a 52 degree and then drop the 60 and maybe get a 64 at the upcoming cleveland day. We have some pretty high greens at my home course, so some flopadopalus action wouldn't hurt.

I currently have a 46* PW and a 55* SW. I plan to add a 50* or 51* GW soon, but that will be my 14th club. If I ever got the urge to add a 60* LW, I'd probably either give up my 5 Wood or 4 Iron. I currently have a 3 Hybrid that could probably fill the gap of a 5 Wood if needed so that would be the most likely candidate.

Note: This thread is 4396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!