IGNORED

What Would a Top Tour Pro Shoot on a Typical Public Course?

plugged
Note: This thread is 901 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 minutes ago, guitarget said:

"Do they have spectators to find the balls they hit into the woods?"  This is a big one, in my opinion.  While watching the recent Open, I often wondered how long it would take me or you to find a ball hit into that really long, thick stuff, while pros have spotters and spectators to help out.

This is a very good point.  I wonder this whenever I have to search for a ball:  if I had spectators, would I even be searching?  Sure, lost balls happen, plus there was that spectator who took Kevin Na's ball that one time, but more often than not, having spectators and volunteers matters quite a bit. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think we all know that there are certainly some advantages for the tour players; gallery backstops, signs, having people find a ball. But…who are we kiddin? They’re ridiculously good.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Let us be honest.  Most times the pro's can hit the ball where they want.  Their target zones are not the left or right side of fairway, but say 5 or 10 yards from the edge of the rough.

Realistically most pro's will shoot a couple under par on any given day, so I would have to say mid to high 60's and on a great day low 60's.  Of course, we do need to take into account the fact that shorter courses will generally be easier for the pro's since they can drive short par 4 and par 5 greens in under regulation.  So depending on the length and how difficult the public course is, somewhere in the 60's

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

The thing I remember about that piece was IIRC it was the bumpy greens that he thought kept him from going low.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

4 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I think we all know that there are certainly some advantages for the tour players; gallery backstops, signs, having people find a ball. But…who are we kiddin? They’re ridiculously good.

NOOOOOO!!!!!! The point of these threads is to make you understand (which you clearly can't) that PGATour players are basically no better than us but they have the advantage of people finding their balls and perfectly manicured bunkers. Accept it, Vinsk - they're no better than you. You'd be 20 under after 4 rounds if you got those special ProV1s they reserve for the pros. And don't get me started about shafts......

• Funny 2

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

36 minutes ago, Shorty said:

but they have the advantage of people finding their balls

Tell that to DeChambeau. I can’t recall what tournament, but he missed a short par 4 green 15 yards left recently and they could not find his ball in the rough. Long lonely ride back to the tee followed.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

Tell that to DeChambeau. I can’t recall what tournament, but he missed a short par 4 green 15 yards left recently and they could not find his ball in the rough. Long lonely ride back to the tee followed.

It was the Masters, so that made the comedy even better. :-)

His error, of course, was to hit driver. Most critics in the 15 to 23 handicap range would have simply hit their 3 wood off the tee (because their driver goes too far), then hit a wedge under the hole and holed a simple birdie putt. :-)

• Funny 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

41 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

It wasn't a lack of observers that was his problem, it was a lack of observers who didn't dislike him that was the issue.  Everyone who saw where it went kept their mouth shut because they wanted him to not find it within the three minutes ;-) 

(I don't believe that happened the way I describe it, nor do I hope it did)

• Funny 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On 7/22/2021 at 3:55 PM, nevets88 said:

The thing I remember about that piece was IIRC it was the bumpy greens that he thought kept him from going low.

I’ve played several times on courses where my ball striking was really good and then the greens were either really slow, or rough, and it clearly kept me from going lower.   One time, years ago, I played on a wide open course with huge greens.   But they were slow as anything.  Hit 13 greens and putted horribly because they were like high carpet.

—Adam

Here's the video for the Watson piece mentioned above.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• iacas changed the title to What Would a Top Tour Pro Shoot on a Typical Public Course?
  • Administrator
12 hours ago, nevets88 said:

The conditions, particularly of the putting greens, don't appear to be "bad" at all there.

That stuff matters.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Depends on where they’re playing. Most courses around me are fairly wide open. I’ll take Hillandale as an example. Not long at all for the pros, just over 6400 as a par 71. 

The four par 3s are mid length holes (one about 165, one about 180 and two that are 190). One of them has an all carry approach and one has a tough green.

The longest par 4 out there is only about 430 from the blues, which is driver-wedge for most pros, and a lot of them are fairly straightaway. Most are in the range of 370-400 from the blues.

All three par 5s are reachable in two, the longest clocking in at 510 and the shortest a mere 440. 

I know this is just one course, but I’ll say a pro can shoot mid 60s pretty easily.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

22 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Course Rating is 68.8 at this course, so it's not is a super difficult course for a pro. It's pretty short, too. 6100 yards is on the short end, even for a muni. Bubba's differential was -6.2, if the online calculator I used is right. Interesting to see.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

11 hours ago, iacas said:

The conditions, particularly of the putting greens, don't appear to be "bad" at all there.

That stuff matters.

Yeah, the conditions/manicuring/upkeep actually looked like a higher end public course around here 

Colin P.

• 2 weeks later...

My previous home course was rated 74.2 slope 142 and 7090 from the tips but I could see a tour pro easily coming in at 64 and even close to breaking 60 after a couple more go around. The place had lots of elevation changes and lots and lots of places an average player would lose a ball.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

• 1 month later...

Okay, so the question seems to be asking an average. I'd say low to mid 60's. If you're giving them practice rounds and stakes, yes many would break 60. With a full field of 144 or 156 pros, many. Particularly if you don't roll and cut the greens the way an average tour event would. Or grow out the rough, for that matter. 

"Witty golf quote."

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Aguirre said:

Okay, so the question seems to be asking an average. I'd say low to mid 60's. If you're giving them practice rounds and stakes, yes many would break 60. With a full field of 144 or 156 pros, many. Particularly if you don't roll and cut the greens the way an average tour event would. Or grow out the rough, for that matter. 

Nope.

Not rolling and cutting the greens, btw, makes it more difficult to score low. Not easier.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 901 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!