IGNORED

What Would a Top Tour Pro Shoot on a Typical Public Course?

plugged
Note: This thread is 937 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My course is a private club, around 6700 from the back tees. Tommy Gainey holds the course record with a 61. My old course was a semi private, 7000 from the backs, Tim Clark shot a 61 in a USGA qualifier. Clark was still in school at NC State. I don't know if either player had ever played either course before.

17 hours ago, iacas said:

Nope.

Not rolling and cutting the greens, btw, makes it more difficult to score low. Not easier.

Yeah, that's why they do it on tour. To make it "easier." That's why the majors try and make the greens as firm and fast as possible. So it's easier to score low. You've been making this dumb take for years.

• Booooooooo 1

"Witty golf quote."

5 hours ago, Aguirre said:

Yeah, that's why they do it on tour. To make it "easier." That's why the majors try and make the greens as firm and fast as possible. So it's easier to score low. You've been making this dumb take for years.

A hard fast green may be more difficult to get a ball to stop on with a low iron but once on the green they will roll more true than bumpy shag carpet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, Aguirre said:

It’s true. Well maintained, smooth, rolled greens have less imperfections than muni greens. The ball rolls truer. The green are firmer on tour, which makes it harder to get the ball to stop, but putting can be more accurate because those little bumps that move the ball aren’t there.

I’ve putted on tour level greens and they aren’t that hard once you get the speed down. And that doesn’t take long.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Aguirre said:

Yeah, that's why they do it on tour. To make it "easier."

Your mistake appears to be thinking that the point of a Tour event isn't to make things "difficult." If that was the goal, they wouldn't play lift, clean, and place nearly as often as they do it. They'd keep the furrowed bunkers that Nicklaus tried a decade or more ago at the Memorial.

The point is uniformity, for the most part. Greens on the PGA Tour are 10.5 to 11, generally. Uniform.

That's why the majors try and make the greens as firm and fast as possible.

Firm isn't what's being discussed.

So it's easier to score low. You've been making this dumb take for years.

It's been studied. It's not a "take" it's a result.

This is particularly true if you're a decent putter — less randomness and smaller strokes = better putting. Faster greens tend to allow for separation in putting. Slower greens narrow separation.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

The point is uniformity, for the most part. Greens on the PGA Tour are 10.5 to 11, generally. Uniform.

Uniformity is what a lot of public courses lack and that hurts as much as the bumpy greens.  I hate it when I am long on one green because it is fast only to get to the next hole and find a slow green and leave it short.

Edited by StuM
Added then removed 2nd paragraph, wrong post. My bad.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Robert Damron has several course records here in Central Florida.  The courses usually have some type of posting as to the course record.  I don't recall any of them being in the mid to low 50's.  Most if I recall are closer to 60.  A lot of our courses can be played long at close to 7000 yards or longer.

Most of the PGA Tour courses have a Strokes Gained "Par" between 70.0 and 72.5.  My home course plays to a Strokes Gained "Par" of 70.356 from the tips.  Even though SG is supposed to be the score a pro would be expected to score on a course, on all but the toughest events, it seems like the typical touring PGA pros are beating this "par" by 0.5 to 1.5 strokes per round.  If there was a PGA tour event on my home course, I would expect the average score for the field to be around 69.0-69.5.  I'm sure a statistician could look at a typical score distribution and tell us what the low score for a pro on the week would be, but I would guess it would be low 60s.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a card from a struggling tour pro in midweek members competition on Wednesday this week.  One of the best courses in Sydney - not super long, but just emphasises how good these guys are. 58 off the stick  - 45 stableford points playing off +4

1382168393_ScreenShot2021-10-01at6_14_23am.thumb.png.d2e32e4705446e983ebce0c19ebd66cb.png

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Here is a card from a struggling tour pro in midweek members competition on Wednesday this week.  One of the best courses in Sydney - not super long, but just emphasises how good these guys are. 58 off the stick  - 45 stableford points playing off +4

1382168393_ScreenShot2021-10-01at6_14_23am.thumb.png.d2e32e4705446e983ebce0c19ebd66cb.png

You can also find cards where a similar guy shoots 75.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

You can also find cards where a similar guy shoots 75.

Most definitely! This was obviously a very special round. The fact that this particular professional would struggle to make a cut on the KFT or Challenge Tour probably says it all.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 937 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!