IGNORED

What would a top Tour Pro shoot on a typical public course?

10 minutes ago, guitarget said:

"Do they have spectators to find the balls they hit into the woods?"  This is a big one, in my opinion.  While watching the recent Open, I often wondered how long it would take me or you to find a ball hit into that really long, thick stuff, while pros have spotters and spectators to help out.

This is a very good point.  I wonder this whenever I have to search for a ball:  if I had spectators, would I even be searching?  Sure, lost balls happen, plus there was that spectator who took Kevin Na's ball that one time, but more often than not, having spectators and volunteers matters quite a bit. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think we all know that there are certainly some advantages for the tour players; gallery backstops, signs, having people find a ball. But…who are we kiddin? They’re ridiculously good.

I know this is an old thread that recently got bumped (glad to see I didn't say anything dumb a decade+ ago), but in 2007, Steve Marino played a DC-area goat track: https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-d

I feel old seeing that this thread is 4369 days old but this is relevant.   Bubba Watson playing at a public course.    

Posted Images

I think we all know that there are certainly some advantages for the tour players; gallery backstops, signs, having people find a ball. But…who are we kiddin? They’re ridiculously good.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Let us be honest.  Most times the pro's can hit the ball where they want.  Their target zones are not the left or right side of fairway, but say 5 or 10 yards from the edge of the rough.

Realistically most pro's will shoot a couple under par on any given day, so I would have to say mid to high 60's and on a great day low 60's.  Of course, we do need to take into account the fact that shorter courses will generally be easier for the pro's since they can drive short par 4 and par 5 greens in under regulation.  So depending on the length and how difficult the public course is, somewhere in the 60's

The thing I remember about that piece was IIRC it was the bumpy greens that he thought kept him from going low.

4 hours ago, Vinsk said:

NOOOOOO!!!!!! The point of these threads is to make you understand (which you clearly can't) that PGATour players are basically no better than us but they have the advantage of people finding their balls and perfectly manicured bunkers. Accept it, Vinsk - they're no better than you. You'd be 20 under after 4 rounds if you got those special ProV1s they reserve for the pros. And don't get me started about shafts......

• Funny 1

36 minutes ago, Shorty said:

but they have the advantage of people finding their balls

Tell that to DeChambeau. I can’t recall what tournament, but he missed a short par 4 green 15 yards left recently and they could not find his ball in the rough. Long lonely ride back to the tee followed.

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

Tell that to DeChambeau. I can’t recall what tournament, but he missed a short par 4 green 15 yards left recently and they could not find his ball in the rough. Long lonely ride back to the tee followed.

It was the Masters, so that made the comedy even better. :-)

His error, of course, was to hit driver. Most critics in the 15 to 23 handicap range would have simply hit their 3 wood off the tee (because their driver goes too far), then hit a wedge under the hole and holed a simple birdie putt. :-)

• Funny 1

41 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

It wasn't a lack of observers that was his problem, it was a lack of observers who didn't dislike him that was the issue.  Everyone who saw where it went kept their mouth shut because they wanted him to not find it within the three minutes ;-) 

(I don't believe that happened the way I describe it, nor do I hope it did)

• Funny 1

On 7/22/2021 at 3:55 PM, nevets88 said:

The thing I remember about that piece was IIRC it was the bumpy greens that he thought kept him from going low.

I’ve played several times on courses where my ball striking was really good and then the greens were either really slow, or rough, and it clearly kept me from going lower.   One time, years ago, I played on a wide open course with huge greens.   But they were slow as anything.  Hit 13 greens and putted horribly because they were like high carpet.