IGNORED

Your Home Course

iacas
Note: This thread is 2934 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ancil Hoffman (my avatar photo).  A Sacramento County course.  It's picturesque and a fun round.  It sits in a hollow next to the American River.  It gets a lot of play, but they do a pretty good job with maintenance.    

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...

I am a bit surprised that so few TST'ers have taken a moment to name and talk about their home course.  I play numerous rounds away from my "home" but still consider one course to be my "home."

Brian Kuehn

• Administrator
5 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I am a bit surprised that so few TST'ers have taken a moment to name and talk about their home course.  I play numerous rounds away from my "home" but still consider one course to be my "home."

My home course is Whispering Woods, but even that's somewhat unofficial as I'm indoors at an Academy, and now teach in the summer at Chautauqua Golf Club (36 holes).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I suppose I've referenced it enough in other posts (mostly bitching about it), that I may as well post about here where it belongs.

Kittyhawk Golf Center is a three-course facility operated by the City of Dayton. The Hawk and Eagle courses are regulation and the Falcon (originally the Kitty) is an executive course. The place is flat and really good for walkers. A city well field, it's predominant feature is several, large pit-like hazards that may or may not be filled with water at various times of year. Course conditions are what you might expect out of a muni. The greens are constantly dotted with hackers' ball marks. The bunkers are pretty bad and the grounds crew sometimes falls behind on its cutting schedule. None the less, it's cheap, it's usually playable and generally yields the score that I deserve.

The picture is from the Eagle's par-3, No 4. It's about 175 yards and is one of the very few holes on this course that I have a chance at birdie. Hawk's shorter and I play that and the par-3 course more frequently 

Eagle.jpg.e509600e309325eb9d045e3d590a53

My home course, Dauphin Highlands, is a long course measuring around 7100 from the tips, but does not provide much threat of off-line tee shots and therefore can be easy for a bomber.

Austin Sachs - Mid-level Amateur in the Eastern United States

WITB: Titleist 915 D3, Cleveland 588 3 Wood, Nike Covert Tour Hybrid, Mizuno MP-4 4-PW, Mizuno MP-T4 52, 56, 60 degree, Taylormade White Smoke Putter

• 2 weeks later...

Eastern Star Rayong Thailand.

I've been a member here for a couple of years but been playing it for nearly 9.

Par 72,not easy,loads of water.

It's only 5 minutes from my house,around 40 bucks with cart and caddie.If you choose to walk it would cost you 25 bucks.

Below is the 9th green with clubhouse,10th hole and the signature par 3, 13th hole.

Dropped loads of F-Bombs here but still love the place.

56d8a079206e6_estar1.jpg.51ea9c343763a9c

56d8a08c63437_estar2.thumb.jpg.291781954

56d8a0a4ef665_estar3.jpg.191b4ad341c8598

On 12/22/2004 at 2:31 PM, Rafcin said:

http://www.skyviewgolf.com

Sparta, NJ. This course is most of the time hated after first round, but more you play it you can't help but fall in love with it. Typical north-jersey "mountain goat" track. Tight fairways, not much bail-out room, healthy dose of blind shots and elevation changes. IMHO too expensive for public play ($85 weekends high season), but membership fees are a steal - $3300 for a couple with no strings attached ($15 day fee for carts and course is pretty much unwalkable). From the point of view of price/value - no match in north NJ.

I play Farmstead a few times a year with some friends from North Jersey. I used to play at the old playboy club course? 27 holes in Vernon? 

My home course is Mill Quarter Plantation in Powhatan, VA. It's almost an hour from where I live, and I pass several courses to get to it, but it is very affordable and out in the country. Only a few fairways have houses on them and it plays between 5200 and 6900 yards. It is a bit of shotmaker's course since offline drives can end deep in the woods. 

I play mostly a Mangrove bay in St Pete Florida.  6656 yards 71.5 / 123.  Played last Sunday for $14 walking at twilight.

When I first started playing golf, I was a member at South Hills CC in Jamestown NY.  It's gotten better over the years.  I know the owner quite well.  I play there when I visit my family.  6240 yards 70.5 / 121.

Mostly when I visit WNY, I play the North Hills CC in Corry Pa.  Great municipal course.  Great greens.  6224 69.6 / 125.

Edited by vangator

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

This is where I play: http://theoaksgolfcourse.com/

A membership (March-February) is $40. That includes your first round. March-April, 18 holes and a cart is $18. The pricing peaks at $27 on weekends and holidays from May-October, but during those times, it also bottoms out at $15 after 4 PM and $10 after 6 PM. This contrasts with the other public courses (run by the city, where as The Oaks is privately owned), where you're talking $35-40 for 18 and a cart.

It's a fairly short course (5608 yards), par 70. Several of the holes (1, 6-9, 11, 13, 17) are pretty much straight-on holes without much going on (1 is fairly uphill, 7 and 13 shift a bit right from the tee to the fairway, but the others are basically straight). No fairway sand, just around the bunkers. Only 4 holes (1, 2, 4, 10) have water hazards.

It's not an especially nice course, but the pricing is great, so it's worth some browner fairways than the publicly owned stuff to go for half the price.

Very fortunate for be an ex serviceman in the Canadian Armed Forces because it gives all active and retired service personnel and active and retired RCMP a great discount on membership. Gage golf in Oromocto NB is actually on the grounds of CFB Gagetown which is the largest Armed Forces base in the Maritimes. Gage is a variety of holes, well kept and a great place to play.  Green fees are  40 for 18 http://www.gagegolfandcurling.com/  If you make an eastern trip to Canada and are on your way to PEI or Nova Scotia, there are a lot of fine courses in New Brunswick and my course is just one.

Coorg Golf Links, Bittangala is my home course, which is in Coorg, India.  It is approximately 6,000 yards and is a tight course with trees and OB's lining most fairways.  It is not very expensive costing approximately 100$ for annual green fees and even though I play it very rarely these days, keep my membership because it offers me affiliated courses in Bangalore amore pertinently will be my go-to course when I settle down in Coorg on our coffee estate

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I'm not a member at any course, as I try to play several near me.  The one I play the most, along with using their range a couple of times a week, is Bardmoor Golf and Tennis Club.  I usually play from the Silver tees which is 68.8/117, 5800 yards.  But on a occasion play from the next set back, Gold, which is 72/127, 6579 yards.  It's a decent course, though they can be a little pricier than some of the other courses around.  The front desk staff aren't necessarily the friendliest, but their on course staff are super friendly!  But it's all of 10 minutes from my house and I pass by on my way home from work every day.

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.sugarhillgolfclub.com/

This is my home course, though I've only played it a handful of times.  Hope to join the association and play more in the coming years.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

On 2/11/2016 at 1:01 PM, bkuehn1952 said:

I can appreciate the sentiment, but I really don't have a "home course" these days. My friends and I like to play all over the place. I suppose if I had to name one course it would be Mill Creek Golf Course in Mill Creek Park, in Youngstown, Ohio. I've played hundreds of rounds there!

And it's a wonderful track. 36 holes, designed and built in the late 1920's, early 1930's by Donald Ross. But, a funny thing happened on the way to the forum! I played most of my rounds there when Mill Creek Park was the red headed step-child of the county, and Mill Creek Golf Course was the red headed step-child of Mill Creek Park! 

Thus, there wasn't much money for maintenance, and the place would burn up! The greens would get water and that was about it. I remember dropping a cigarette in the fairway preparing to play a shot, and after the stroke looking down to see a black, burnt circle about a foot wide in the fairway! That's how dry things were! Yet, players would go there because they valued the place.

Then some political shenanigans ensued that brought the park, including the golf course, more money. Suddenly there was money for watering, drainage, greens, bunker improvement, a turfgrass program! The place became a jewel, and attracted every dumb chop within 50 miles of the place!

Now, you have to pick your spots there. Otherwise you're liable to wind up behind some tank topped goombah showing his girlfriend how to play! It's become a golf factory! People who should be on par 3's are here instead! It's disgusting!

That's why I don't play there very much any more!

I just started golfing again last season after a failed (with no lessons) attempt at it some 27 years ago.  I was hitting publics and munis all season and through the winter last year.  There was one course just around the corner from my house that went semi-private last season, had a ton of Groupon and Coupon offers to create awareness and offered a "10-pack pay and play."  I played it at least 20 times last year.  For some reason it charmed me - warts and all.  It's an "Executive" golf course..whatever that means.   From an GHIN perspective, it doesn't have the requirements to be a registered course. Physically, what it means is that the course is a very low key, lower yardage, no-motorized carts affair.  More than a bit shaggy in some spots, but blissfully quiet and uncrowded.  Frankly, perfect for someone just getting into the game, or someone late in life who has no desire for 425 yard fairways.  

The course is Meadowbrook Golf and Tennis Club in Huntington Valley, and I consider this my Home Course.  The membership fees are the most reasonable in the area - half that of another nearby club (which once I get better I will probably join).  I am also a member of The Abington Club, which many years ago was an 18 hole course that has been shaved to 9 holes.  Again membership here is delightfully cheap, but you have to be able to overlook all forms of grass fairways, a lot of overgrowth etc., and I supsect that if you have been playing golf with adequate scores for any period of time, you would outgrow this place in short order.   The big benefit to this place is the full-year season, and the fact that it is also right around the corner from my house.

Nearby clubs on my radar once I get good enough to truly appreciate the challenges their courses present:

1. Lulu
  2. Sandy Run
  3. Philmont
  4. North Hills
  5. JC Melorose - they dont offer memberships currently but if they did.....

My Dream Local Club = Manufacturer's - but alas I dont have the pedigree (or the $$)  LOL., Seconded by Philly Cricket, or Tallamore.

I'd be interested in feedback from TST contributors that have information on Montgomery County PA clubs where they are members.

Hello and Thanks!

Note: This thread is 2934 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!