IGNORED

who is your favorite golfer of all time

aca247
Note: This thread is 4306 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah - and Couples, of course.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yesper all the way!
In My Bag:
Driver:MacTec NVG2 Draw 460cc
Woods:MacTec NVG2 3 Wood
Hybrid:Idea Tech A4 #3,Utility #4
Irons:MacTec NVG2 5-PW Steel, Regular FlexWedgesCCi Attack 50*CG10 Black Pearl 56*,60*Putter:C-Groove Valerie 34"

Funny, but I had masking tape putting lines in my bedroom, subscribed to golf magazines with my paper route/mowing money and read paperback instructional books when I was in junior high, but never really had a "favorite" golfer until Nicklaus cemented that position for me during the summer of 1980.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

I guess I will be the first one to say John Daly. I've always had a weight problem like big John. I like that he is not afraid to speak his mind....and of course who doesnt like a guy who rips it past his opponent 60 yards then pulls out a cigarette and diet coke.

G5 9* w/Aldila NV Shaft
4DX +3 (13*)
3DX RC 2-Iwood 17*
i5 3-PW GREEN DOT w/Z-Z65 steel shafts
Ping Eye 2 XG SW & LW

Ping Zing G2 Putter

Hoofer 3 Bag

Nike ball (any)

Rounds this year:81: Granite Falls North84: Trilogy at Vistancia84: Falcon Golf Course82: Granite Falls South 82

• 2 years later...

Bringing this thread back.

I have recently been watching 'Shell's wonderful world of golf' re-runs from the late 80's/mid-to-early 90's and it really reminded me why Fred Couples is my all-time favorite golfer.

Seriously.

Originally Posted by onlybereaved

I have recently been watching 'Shell's wonderful world of golf' re-runs from the late 80's/mid-to-early 90's and it really reminded me why Fred Couples is my all-time favorite golfer.

Seriously.

I watched a lessons with the pros episode that Fred was on, he seemed like a super chill guy and very down to earth.

Phil has my favorite playing style by far, he plays aggressive sometimes foolish but his creativity for shots is unbelievable.  Plus he wins by the sword and dies by it.

Rory has my favorite swing to watch, for such a little guy he generates so much power and just has a very good swing that generates alot of power despite his small size.

I am younger so I am unfamilure with the older golfers of the 80's and 90's.

Driver: RBZ 9.5° Stiff

Woods: :nike:VR_S Tour 2.0 15° Stiff

Hybrids:  910H 21° Stiff

Irons: 4-GW Pro Black CB1 with Project X rifle 6.0

Wedges:CC Jaws 56°.14° 60°.08°

Putter: Classic 1

Ball:  Z-Star XV Pure White

Originally Posted by Msokol13

I guess I will be the first one to say John Daly. I've always had a weight problem like big John. I like that he is not afraid to speak his mind....and of course who doesnt like a guy who rips it past his opponent 60 yards then pulls out a cigarette and diet coke.

I`m with ya

Cart Bag

Hi Bore  xls Driver

Big Bertha steelhead plus  3 and 5 Woods

Pro Gold 20 and 24 degree Hybrids

MD Superstrong Irons

MD Norman Drew Low Bounce wedges

Putter 

Originally Posted by shockingslicer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msokol13

I`m with ya

My favorite golfer growing up was Big John Daly.  He is still up there for me.  One of my all-time fav videos is John Daly vs. Fred Couples match-play on Shell's wonderful world of golf.  YouTube it, you won't be disappointed at all.  A great and memorable moment from that match, is when John is teeing up and a fan says something during his waggle, and then John pull-hooks it into a marsh and ends up with like a 7 on the hole...Well right after Daly struck the ball, Freddy gives it to the fan really good.  Something to the effect of "A LITTLE BIT QUICK ON THOSE, SIR!  DON'T MIND US".  Fred is my fav just in the way he carries himself on the course, and around people he plays against, the fans, etc.

Originally Posted by mosnas

Quote:

Seriously.

I watched a lessons with the pros episode that Fred was on, he seemed like a super chill guy and very down to earth.

Phil has my favorite playing style by far, he plays aggressive sometimes foolish but his creativity for shots is unbelievable.  Plus he wins by the sword and dies by it.

Rory has my favorite swing to watch, for such a little guy he generates so much power and just has a very good swing that generates alot of power despite his small size.

I am younger so I am unfamilure with the older golfers of the 80's and 90's.

Word.  I am 30, but my father is a hardcore golf guy...

I used to really hate on Phil, and called him "Chatter-Box Phil"...We had a running joke in my household "Hey Phil, in 1,000 words or less, what brand of ball are you playing today?" (because Phil loves to talk, obviously lol).  But now, I actually really like Phil very much.  He is one of my current favorites for sure.

Same here, I am a huge John Daly fan! I met him back in the early 90's at a charity tourney here in Nashville. He was such a nice guy.

I've always like Freddie as well. Fred is such a laid back guy and has such a cool swagger about him. Other notables: David Duval, Ricky Fowler, Jason Dufner and Dustin Johnson.

Phillip

One of the coolest things about Freddy is that he doesn't use swing thoughts or mechanics to produce shots. I watched a GC 'Playing Lessons with the Pros' with Freddie where he apologetically admitted that if he wants to hit a fade, he lines up, visuallizes, and just hits it.

Payne was my all time fav. What a swing, and what a gentleman.

dak4n6

Being 32 and having been introduced to golf about age 12, Tiger has been huge in my golf life.

I really wish I'd been able to see Byron Nelson though, no one has said anything bad about him and he just seemed like an excellent human.

Fred Couples is a guy I enjoy seeing.

Recently I've taken to watching Dufner and Kuchar. I like Dufs laid back attitude and he's some some in shape flat belly, gives a pudgy guy like me hope lol. Kuch has that overall nice person feel to him and sounds like a guy I'd like to play a round with.

uh....myself? I like Tiger, Rory, Luke, Jack, never saw him play but his books got me my start in golf.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

I like Jim Furyk for the reason of his odd swing. It reminds me of how in basketball coaches would try to get players to change their foul shot because it didn't have good form, but it worked. His swing reminds me of the saying "If it ain't broken, don't fix it"

Along with Furyk I like Ricky Fowler because he brings some flare to the game... much needed.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

I feel the same about Phil, but I'm still not a big fan. When I first got into golf, I felt like Phil was in NASCAR thanking all of his sponsors after a win or a good round.

My favorites are Tiger, Fowler, John Daly, Couples, Rory's golf swing, Stricker and the list goes on, but if any these guys are on the top of a leaderboard, Tiger for sure.

I used to really hate on Phil, and called him "Chatter-Box Phil"...We had a running joke in my household "Hey Phil, in 1,000 words or less, what brand of ball are you playing today?" (because Phil loves to talk, obviously lol).  But now, I actually really like Phil very much.  He is one of my current favorites for sure.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

None of us have ever seen him play, but my favorite golfer of all time is Francis Ouimet.  At the age of 20, he won the US Open in 1913, with caddy who played hookey from elementary school to carry his bag. Ouimet himself was just a guy living across the street from the golf course (which hosted the open, so he did have local knowledge)  struggling to balance golf and a job as a store clerk.  Read "The Greatest Game Ever Played", by Mark Frost, and watch the Disney movie. Almost a fictional feel good story, but it's true.

Otherwise, not much empathy for modern day players. I'd like to see Tim Herron get a win though. I enjoyed seeing his profile on Golf Channel, when he was living up in Minnesota and ice fishing thru the winter.

Note: This thread is 4306 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!