IGNORED

Your 200 yards from the pin....

Note: This thread is 5377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 iron. I hit that club pretty well and in fact had your situation today. Hit my 4 kinda poorly (had to keep it low because of a tree ahead and didn't want to catch the overhanging branches) but got it pretty close. Was about 200, uphill and had to keep it low. Came up short. Chipped aggressively and 2-putted for a bogey. I'll take it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hybrid or long iron....probably 4 iron since i like that club

stand bag:

Driver: DDH 10*
Woods: DDH 3W-15*, 5W-21*
Irons: DDH 3-SWWedge: VR LW 60*Putter: VSL

dont ever go for the pin if its 200 in the rough there is hardly any spin on the ball and its goin to roll off the green unless your a pro then nevermind but its nearly impossible to make it happen unless if you get the ball high enough to make it sit

Personnaly the rough at my club isn't too deep so would go with a 5i as the course is pretty dry and the ball will run up onto the green, but best advice for a 25 hcpwould be 8i then pitch onto the green and maybe 1 putt for par or walk away with a boogie.

S83 Mid-size Tour bag
910D2 9.5º Aldila RIP Stiff C.3 setting
909F2 15.5º Diamana Stiff
909F3 18º Aldila VooDoo Stiff
909h 19º Diamana StiffAP2 4 iron  CB 710 5-PW KBS Tour stiff50º(bent to 52º) 56º54 60ºStudio select Newport 2 Pro V1

5 or 4 iron, depending on the lie and everything. 5 iron would be to try to get it to bounce up onto the green, 4 iron would be to try to fly it there (or as close as possible if it's a gnarly lie).
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

And your in the rough, its your second shot on a par 4, you have a clear line at the pin.... what club do you use?

Depending on the rough (first cut, deep stuff, etc) i'd use a 5iron to run it up to the pin. If you are a 26 handicap though I don't think you are a player who is carrying a 5 iron 185+ yards consistently (no offense, neither was i when i was a 26 handicap) so i'd suggest getting a 25*-27* hybrid or an 11 wood? (i think thats the correct 5i replacement wood).

I know you didn't ask for advice on this matter, but personally I think (and i'm sure many others will agree) the best way for high handicappers like yourself to lower their scores is to play a little less aggressive and try to get rid of all the doubles/triples/others. 20+ handicappers have a good chance of topping/duffing the ball from the rough (even low and mid handicappers do it from time to time) which might leave you still 170+ from the pin for your 3rd shot. So my advice to you would be to take a short or mid iron you're comfortable with - 8i, 7i, maybe a 6i - and just advance the ball as far as you can while being confident you'll put it somewhere in the fairway. Again, no offense but what are the odds you're going to stick it close from the rough 200 yards away (even pro's dont do it all the time)? So take an extra shot and give yourself a higher probability of putting it close to the pin and having a tap in par or 2 putt bogey and also reduce your chances of blowing up the hole and getting a snowman (or worse!)

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

in the middle of getting my Cobra Baffler 20*. From the fairway i can hit it about 220 - 230. So i think maybe a 3/4 swing with that.
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

And your in the rough, its your second shot on a par 4, you have a clear line at the pin.... what club do you use?

Thats a 3i for me, but I bet you don't want a 3i. I'd suggest you look at rescue clubs or higher lofted woods, may be a 7 wood?

I'll use my hands to pick it up, put it in the centre of the fairway and use a 5 iron to end up 60 yards short. :D

No seriously, that would be a 4i punch shot for me if something is hindering a full shot (which is most of the time where I play) or I'll try to smack a 4i full shot and hope I won't end up in the green bunker (because that's where I end up most of the time, all the greens at my club are guarded by deep bunkers).
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

A 19* hybrid but its a low percentage shot for me.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Depending on the rough (first cut, deep stuff, etc) i'd use a 5iron to run it up to the pin. If you are a 26 handicap though I don't think you are a player who is carrying a 5 iron 185+ yards consistently (no offense, neither was i when i was a 26 handicap) so i'd suggest getting a 25*-27* hybrid or an 11 wood? (i think thats the correct 5i replacement wood).

I agree with this mad. I have a club that goes 200 (3 hybrid) but i often have trouble getting it out of the rough without it getting caught up on it, so if I don't have a club that I like, I will usually take a 9 iron and put it about 80 yards away where I can still take a full swing with my pitching wedge to put it on. I hate 50 yard golf shots, so I plan to be about 80 away.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

A nice smooth swing with my 3 hybrid, I used this club a couple days ago on a 200 yd par 3 and got it on the green about 12 ft from the cup.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

200 yards, rough? Good lie, 3I, bad lie, 7 iron and try to get up and down. Honestly unless you are a skilled golfer you have no chance of hitting the green from a good lie 200 yards away, and if it is bad, there is no chance for anyone unless it is fast and you can run it up.

I will not hit anymore than a 7 iron from a bad lie. I don't have the speed to get it off the ground with anything less.

Brian

with no other variables......my 21° hybrid. That club is so sweet to hit out of the rough.

For me its a 7-Wood. THis is the shot I have the most confidence in.

In the bag:
MX-100 Irons
Wedges 54*
60* SV Tour Wedge
putter 3-Wood, 5-wood 10.5* driverLimbo Ball

Note: This thread is 5377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!