IGNORED

Your 200 yards from the pin....

Note: This thread is 5378 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is the thing the OP doesn't mention how deep the rough is and that would always alter my choice if the ball is buried then I'm thinking no higher than a 7,if the grass is deeper don't bother me if I use a wedge,whatever gets me out.
I treat light rough as a green light,yes I don't have complete control over what my ball does at my handicap but I know I can get close and either chip or knock it on with a LW.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends on how much green I've got to work with. If pin's in the back, my 5 iron, if it's in the front, I'll shoot long and go for a 4.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 iron from fairway, 4 iron or really light 5 wood from the rough.

In my Tourino Stand Bag:
Driver: S9-1 F 9.5º Aldila DVS-HL S Flex Shaft
5 - Wood: 1200 Gear Perfect (being upgraded next year)
Irons: R7 Irons 4-PW
Balls: GamersWedge: 60.08º Vokey Spin Milled Wedge - Oil Can

Maybe my course is different from everyone else's, but our rough is deep and thick fescue. There is usually no way I can use even a hybrid without grass grabbing the club; the only hope is an iron on a steeper swing. So I would use the lowest loft I can get away with to make sure the ball gets out (anything from a 4 to a 7). It used to be an automatic bogey, but with improved control over wedges I have a reasonable chance at getting close enough to the pin for an up and down.

I suppose I'd use a foot wedge to get it back in the fairway...

Just kidding...

Good or bad lie, I'm pulling out my 19* Hybrid which usually flies about 190ish with a nice smooth swing and maybe 220 if I try to give it good whack!

-=gos=-

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
What I play...
Driver - Burner Draw
Fairway - FY-Brid 3 Wood
Hybrid - Burner Rescue 19*Irons - R7 Draw 4-SW/LWWedge - CG14 Black 50*Putter - White Hot XG #9Ball - TP RedBag - Stand Bag=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Wow, thanks a lot for the replies everyone!

This is a very interesting thread. I am starting to think if the lie is even a little worse than great a layup to a pitch shot seemed to be the best response to this type of situation. I guess thats why the low handicappers stay low!

And to one guy who said what type of courses am I playing, a 430 yd par 4 is not uncommon where I play. If I hit a drive off the heel, its only going 230 yards at most, and usually in the rough. I do encounter these long yardages sometimes

I played a course last night after work, one of the par 5's was 596 yards.... with 2 doglegs! Now thats a bit rediculous!

Jim

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

Wow, thanks a lot for the replies everyone!

Sounds like you're playing on a pretty serious course. As a higher handicapper I avoided those courses like the plague to avoid getting discouraged. good luck to you :)

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

Had this today...was in the light rough. Took 4 iron and caught a flyer. Just off the back of the green. Up and down for par though.

In my bag:
Driver: R5 TP Diamana 83s Shaft
Fairway: Burner 15 degree Fujikura REAX
Hybrid: Custom 19 degree
Irons: DCI 990 S300 4-PW

Wedges: NF 52.04*, Spin Milled 56.10* and 60.08*

Putter: Red X3

Ball: ProV1

Shoe: Tour 360 LTD

good lie (i.e. ball is sitting up): 4i hybrid
bad lie: 5i and hack out to 30 yds or so short and hope for an up&down;

And your in the rough, its your second shot on a par 4, you have a clear line at the pin.... what club do you use?

If it's "your" 200 yards, I figure I own it and can hit anything I want and get it there. Seriously, 22 degree hybrid.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

good lie 4H
bad lie 6H
terrible lie PW

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

3 hybrid all the way

In my Golf bag
Big Bertha Irons
60* wedge
Hi-Bore Hybrid 3
Burner 3wood XLS Hi-Bore 10.5 Driver Putter On the feet Burner Balls

56* take a little bit off....

In my Sun Mountain MPB bag:
Burner 07 9.5w/ Prolaunch Red
SZ Fairway Woods 4+ and 7
Rescue TP 3 hybrid
200 series irons 4-pwcg11 wedges 52*,56*,60*White Hot 2-BallDT RollHome Course: www.bodegaharbourgolf.com/

Note: This thread is 5378 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!