IGNORED

Rule 88 and the PGA Tour

iacas
Note: This thread is 5370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I love how everyone judges him and acts like they know what he's done and what he has and has not learned from. It's one thing to comment on the game and of course you have every right to judge him but its hilarious to see the conviction people have in it. Like anyone here knows anything, lol.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JD has more talent than any 3 of us put together.

That's what we said about David Duval....

That's what we said about Stewart Cink.... That's what we said about Anthony Kim.... That's what we are saying about Rory McIlroy.... There's no guarantees in golf! JD could have worked 10 times harder, and still never won any more than he has. Don't you think all the guys above work hard? Don't you think all the guys above have strong will? Maybe JD really isn't that good. Maybe his major wins were the fluke, and now he's playing more in line with his real talent level. I don't know the answer, but a guy that hits two consecutive drives out-of-bounds does not sound like the definition of a PGA-level golfer.

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

• Administrator
A little harsh towards JD, don't you think?

No, I don't think so. He needs to be smacked in the face (by someone other than an ex-wife).

After all, with a little thought, we can find dozens of PGA guys who were successful in the 90's and haven't done anything in the 2000's (Parnevik, just as an example).

Jesper Parnevik didn't win two majors. Jesper Parnevik probably doesn't have half the natural talent of JD. And Jesper Parnevik hasn't made a hobby of drinking, getting arrested, passing out in front of Hooters restaurants, and so on. You can't find anyone else like John Daly, no.

I say give JD a little slack. Given his Thursday performance, he knew that only shooting "lights out" on Friday would make the cut.

Oh, so that gives him license to mail it in when he's outside the cut line? Please. That's not how a professional golfer behaves.

At least he didn't fake an injury, or just pick up...

I wondered how the apologists would defend this. Guess that's the answer?

I think the biggest insult is to the tournament organisers who give him an invitation.

Agreed.

And how many of them, again, made a career of getting arrested, passing out drunk, getting divorces, etc.? When is the last time you ever another professional - including any of those players - mail it in?

There's no guarantees in golf! JD could have worked 10 times harder, and still never won any more than he has.

JD could have drank 10 times less and he'd still have disrespected his talent and been a drunk for large parts of his career.

Maybe JD really isn't that good.

Seriously? Tiger himself has said he's envious of JD's natural talent.

I don't know the answer, but a guy that hits two consecutive drives out-of-bounds does not sound like the definition of a PGA-level golfer.

No, JD is not a professional-level golfer, but for reasons that have nothing to do with his golf swing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

iacas, can you really be *that* upset? I mean, who cares? Did he take your tour spot or something? Pretty judgmental and you're holding addictions and crap against him. Some people have problems that are hard wired in and they battle them. Do you think he loves that kind of life?

I'm not even a JD fan but get off the soapbox and stop being so pompous about it. We don't even know why he shot so bad other than he did. And we're now ready to make a life indictment against him?

Well, it would just mean we'd see a little less of him on the day of the shoot. I mean, if that rule were in effect, couldn't he just "injure" his wrist hitting out of the rough on hole 14, withdraw, and then go practice at the site of the next major?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
iacas, can you really be *that* upset?

I'm not upset. I think his behavior was poor. I voiced that opinion.

Pretty judgmental and you're holding addictions and crap against him.

I don't hold addictions against him. I hold the fact that he's had so many opportunities to attempt to get real help for those addictions and he's never done anything about 'em.

And last I checked, trashing hotel rooms, mailing it in during a PGA Tour event, getting into fisticuffs with ex-wives, and constantly marrying and divorcing aren't addictions.
I'm not even a JD fan but get off the soapbox and stop being so pompous about it.

So because you disagree, I'm not only pompous, but I should shut up. Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and ignore that. You don't have to agree with me, but I'm not alone in feeling this way (obviously) and even if I was, I'd be entitled to share my opinions.

And nothing I've said is pompous (self-important). If anything, I wish JD had taken himself to be more important.
Well, it would just mean we'd see a little less of him on the day of the shoot. I mean, if that rule were in effect, couldn't he just "injure" his wrist hitting out of the rough on hole 14, withdraw, and then go practice at the site of the next major?

Yeah, exactly!

Sounds like a good plan to Wie me, eh? Darn rhyming words...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If anything, I wish JD had taken himself to be more important.

Fair enough, I can agree with that.

It's disappointing when people born with such talent most of use would envy can't take advantage of it.

iacas, in several of your responses, you have addressed the concept of "natural talent." In particular, claiming that JD was born with more natural talent than most, and has therefore squandered his ability through a life of debauchery and sloth.

Can you define what you mean by "natural talent," and why you believe that JD has more of this natural talent than others who have similar career arcs?

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

why you believe that JD has more of this natural talent than others who have similar career arcs?

I believe Tiger Woods has described John Daly as being the most talented of the currently active golfers.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I think the worst thing about John's 88 was that he had a sponsors invite- he let them down a bit with his front/back nine display....it was pitiful, I dont understand we he doesn't eat more...I know he's trying to lose weight but he needs to eat. In my view, yes he has lost weight, but he just looks 'ill' to me.

He needs a rest, as he's been globetrotting over the last few months (thats what Frank Nobilo said), and needless to say, he will put in a good performance at the PGA and have a top 25 finish.

Man how I wish the PGA Tour had Rule 88 like the LPGA. John Daly would finally get what he deserves.

I don't always agree with you, but I agree 100% on this one. I hope this is a final lesson for the sponsors.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

The above guys have more of a will than Daly. David Duval has struggled for quite some time now but he has worked to get back to his game. Cink seems like he is in contention a lot more this year(with a major under his belt too). AK and Rory will win tournaments. AK has had a bad year this year but he's been in contention.Same with Rory. The point is , is that if Daly doesn't care anymore why give him a spot in a tournament,like someone above said? When these listed guys miss cuts at least they don't miss it by over five strokes.

Driver 2007 Burner 10.5
Hybrid 3DX RDC 3 Iron
Irons Di7 4-GW Irons
Wedges American Open 60*
Putter Black MaxBalls AD333's

88 is a badddd number.. why would you want a rule 88? why not a rule 87?

I feel as if JD is just another fly in the oinment. a grain of salt in the ocean, a transparent... Thing.

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

Really? Let's see, in the '61 Los Angeles Open, one golfer proceeded to hit three consecutive 3-woods OB on his way to shooting a 12. You might have heard of him....his name is Arnold Palmer.

I don't care much for JD and got really tired of his act years ago, but even the great ones screw it up.

Here is an article from the Canadian Press. Looks like Rick Smith and JD have a 'reason' for the 88.

http://tsn.ca/golf/story/?id=286384

Looks like more poor lifestyle choices and excuses to me.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

He shot a 51 on the front nine.

So did I today with a 10 on a par three. ouch.

Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Here is an article from the Canadian Press. Looks like Rick Smith and JD have a 'reason' for the 88.

I just read through this article, and is JD's diet is as bad as this article makes it out to be, I'm surprised he shot 88 and not 100!!!

He got the gastro/rubber band surgery, and instead of eating well and getting enough protein to keep his muscle during rapid weight loss, he's doing it wrong. (If true) what JD is doing is eating 600-1200 calories a day, drinking (which slows metabolism and muscle growth/preservation down), and barely sleeping, his body is messed up. Under these circumastances, you start losing muscle, and your body can't recover properly from shock (playing 6 tourneys in a row). He's down to 210 lbs, and still has a high body fat %, which means he's lost a good deal of lean muscle weight, which will effect his golf swing. I think this 88 is a slap in the face for him to start managing his weight loss properly, as opposed to him abusing his newfound stomach limitation. /rant

In my bag

Driver: J33r 10.5º - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue
Fairway: 600T 5w, 7w
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity 4-PW/AW/SW/LWPutter: Victoria IIBall: B330-RXGlove: WetherSofShoes: DryJoys

From the link:Daly says he has lost over 80 pounds in the last four months after having Lap-Band surgery, in which a tube place around the top of the stomach helps control the appetite.

He was eating only 1,200 calories a day, but now says his intake is about 600 calories daily. What the heck? He's on a fast track for an early grave. He needs a shrink as much as a regular doctor to get himself straighten out.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Note: This thread is 5370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!