IGNORED

Rule 88 and the PGA Tour

iacas
Note: This thread is 5374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just read through this article, and is JD's diet is as bad as this article makes it out to be, I'm surprised he shot 88 and not 100!!!

First good post in this thread, IMO. Thanks for the link.

Daly looked terrible this week, nothing to do with his score. Something is definitely screwed up with his eating habits. Earlier this year I was following him on the European Tour and his weight loss appeared sensible from week to week, after the band surgery. But this week the first time I saw him I doubletaked and moved forward toward the screen. Seemingly he's lost 20+ pounds since the British Open two weeks ago. Nobilo said he's lost 90 pounds total. I've bet against Daly several times in head to head matchups when he's in quit mode. I know what that looks like. Today didn't resemble it at all. When he's quitting it's like the US Open about 10 years ago at Pinehurst when he slapped at a moving ball in the final round. My friends and I had huge bets on Steve Pate to defeat Daly in that Open. Daly somehow responded with an excellent first round and we weren't safe until he fell apart on Sunday. I hope he gets proper help. Or this could be life threatening, when you take things to such extreme, as Daly has been known to do. I've read that people who undergo those surgeries often are so fixated on the weight aspect that they ignore the changing realities of their dietary and lifestyle needs.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd really hoped JD would use the british open as a springboard to some better golf. granted he didn't exactly tear it up out there, but he made the cut and posted something totally respectable like 68-72-72-72, then he turns around here and shoots 88, that's just... wtf. i'm somewhat inclined to believe what they're saying about it possibly being the fault of his diet and sleep deprivation.

I actually kind of feel bad for the guy. He's somewhat of an embarassment at this point IMO. From the wacky clothes, to the ridiculous amount of weight loss, to shooting a 51 on the front nine of the Buick Open...crazy.

I give him props for at least coming back with a 37 so he didn't shoot 100, lol.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

From Daly's twitter after the round:

"I am exhausted --it's been very hard to play both tours & have deicded I'm going to work for Kid Rock--It's good to have options haha

I'm sure Kid Rock needs a bus driver and I promised him I wouldn't go in tunnels less than 10 feet

all is good -- regrouping & recharging myself

I'm really good--just realaxing with Anna & my coach Rick Smith--goin to take it easy--haven't done that in a while and need it

havin my eyes looked at next week hopin Lasix will correct my stignatism"
In My Bag:
Driver: R7 Limited Matrix Ozik X-con Stiff
3 Wood: 909F3 Aldila Voodoo Stiff
Irons: AP1 3-PW DG S200
Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 54° NickelWedge: Forged 60°Putter: Rossa Balls: Pro V1XAvatar: Nicklaus North Golf Course, Whistler BC

I hope he gets proper help. Or this could be life threatening, when you take things to such extreme, as Daly has been known to do. I've read that people who undergo those surgeries often are so fixated on the weight aspect that they ignore the changing realities of their dietary and lifestyle needs.

These people are incapable of maintaining a sensible diet, which is why they have lapband surgery in the first place.

If they were capable of recognising the need for dietary and lifestyle changes and committing to changing their habits, they wouldn't need the surgery. There is no such thing as a person who cannot lose weight by reducing their intake of calories and/or exercising more. People who undergo this drastic surgery aren't going to suddenly develop a passion for healthy eating. The point of the surgery is to make the stomach smaller so that they can fit less in. And what they put in is inevitably going to be garbage, because that's why they are in this position in the first place.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I've bet against Daly several times in head to head matchups when he's in quit mode. I know what that looks like. Today didn't resemble it at all. When he's quitting it's like the US Open about 10 years ago at Pinehurst when

On Thursday night TGC replay, they showed Daly doing very close to this - not lining up putts, hitting the ball as soon as he got to it. I'm not going to try to say an exact moment he gave up, but it looked to me like he was mentally out of it by late round Thursday.

JD is like a little kid that needs attention but go's about it in all the wrong way. I think he's addicted to a life of drama and termoil. It's all a bad soap opra!

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

• Administrator
I give him props for at least coming back with a 37 so he didn't shoot 100, lol.

He started on the back nine. The 51 was his second nine.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At this point, he's awfully close to the being the "worst guy ever and unwatchable." I've now crossed over from liking JD to not really caring one way or the other to full on disliking the guy. Spitting in the face of his talent like that makes him a joke, a disgrace. It's disrespectful to the game, his peers, and his fans.

I think you hit it on the head why people don't like him - I have zero talent whatsoever and every day I'm not on the course, I'm practicing (barring weather or illness). I didn't catch what happened until this morning when I overheard another guy talking about it on his cell phone - I though it was a joke until ESPN put his scorecard up on Sportscenter in the clubhouse. Showings like that do nothing but piss on this sport - if he was trying and getting spanked, that's one thing, but it just sounds like he quit. Did you see the round and/or highlights of it?

....the fact that he was also wearing a ridiculous outfit when he shot his 88 just made him look like a clown...it almost brings the game at tour level in to disrepute (in my view). Perhaps the PGA tour should fine him for 'giving up'?..this has happened in tennis.

Perhaps JD should stick to the European tour for a season or 2..i don't know what it is, it just seems like there is more pressure and more distractions for him in the US and on the PGA tour.

Man how I wish the PGA Tour had Rule 88 like the LPGA. John Daly would finally get what he deserves.

Huge over-reaction...it's one round, and John is obviously exhausted from recent weight loss and a brutal travel schedule....you can second guess whether he should be playing as much as he is, but to say this is a sign of "hopelessness" is simply a knee-jerk reaction that has some emotional foundation....I have no problem that you don't like JD, but this is not an objective assessment of the situation.

my 2 cents...

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

• Administrator
Huge over-reaction...it's one round, and John is obviously exhausted from recent weight loss and a brutal travel schedule....

Yes, let's keep feeding the guy excuses. He's done so well with his enablers in the past.

If Tiger Woods hadn't won the U.S. Open at Torrey Pines, I can guarantee he'd have never mailed it in like JD. If all Daly was going to do was mail it in like he did, he should have WDed prior to Thursday so someone who would TRY could have a shot. I'm not reacting to one thing. This is the latest in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG line of JD "things."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Since we are talking about JD, he is hosting a tournament at a local club that I play on September 11th. He is supposed to anyway....I can almost smell a "no show" coming.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Another ridiculous tale in the life of John Daly... Rick Smith says Daly hasn't eaten or slept in six days? WTH? Daly needs to be in a hospital under a doctor's supervision... The guy needs mental help... Would it surprise anyone to hear the report that he has passed away? I hate to say that and most certainly don't want that to happen, but he just seems to be on a runaway train... Nothing and no one seems to be able to help this guy... Excessive drinking, the gambling, binge eating... The guy is full throttle... Sponsors keep giving him a spot in their tournaments because he moves the needle but it's just a sideshow now and enables him to continue the circus... I like Daly but he is struggling with inner demons that most of us can't understand... Sad to see this guy piss away opportunity after opportunity... Again, I hope for the best for the dude but I'm afraid his story will have a tragic ending... I hope I'm wrong

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

Yes, let's keep feeding the guy excuses. He's done so well with his enablers in the past.

THIS puts people over the edge? I lost my respect for the man after his 14th wife and loss of all money gambling. This 88 doesn't do anything nor should it.

Take away all the antics and there are several tour players who have had blow up rounds/periods. If you have never lost your swing, you cannot possible understand how bad it can get. I have been working for 2 years to get my swing back and its been a huge fight and I don't have my life riding on it. Major body changes can significantly impact the golf swing and John Daly likely generates more clubhead speed than anyone on tour. His misses could be extremely violent, like 80-100 yards offline. You would never believe it possible until its happened to you.

I am or was a JD fan and like you hoped he was recovering. Giving up is sad and is making me rethink rooting for him any longer. He needs his ass kicked for todays stunt!!

He's losing too much weight too fast. You can't have energy for your body or you brain trying to compete while eating only 600 calories a day.

If he does not wise up and start eating enough, he'll be dead soon. SubPar

• Administrator
Take away all the antics and there are several tour players who have had blow up rounds/periods.

The difference? They don't mail it in. They grind. I've grinded when my swing's gone AWOL.

Note: This thread is 5374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!