IGNORED

3 Wood or 4 Wood for my new R9 Fairway??

Note: This thread is 4385 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hit my friends R9 4 Fairway wood and loved it. Local shop has it only in a 3 wood. Can any of you guys help me with the difference on the 2 of them?

guy at the shop said more control and higher flight with the 4, and the 3 would go 10 yards farther but may be a little harder to hit, and harder with control.

Would you agree with that?

Should I wait for the 4 R9 or just buy the 3 wood R9?

thanks

just like the pro said. The 4 wood will have a slightly smaller head with slightly more loft. This means that it is easier to get into the air because of the added loft. The smaller head will also make it easier to hit. The 3 wood will go farther because of less loft. Less loft = more distance. So it is harder to control because it's just like pitching wedge driver. driver can go 40 yds off line, while pitching can go like 10. Also keep in mind if you have a five wood or 2 or 3 hybrid, as you want seperation between clubs

take a look at your other clubs - pick something that'll be in between. I got the 3 wood - in between my driver (10.5) and 5 wood (19). Would maybe have looked at getting the 4 wood if I was only getting one wood.

I love the 5 wood - gets in the air real quick and great out of all lies. 3 wood is great for tee shots where accuracy is paramount. I guess the 4 wood would be a mix.

Well, I'd say to go with the 3 wood unless you don't carry a 3 iron or 3 hybrid. But, I have only 3 and 5 woods, so I can't offer any advice on a 4. But like someone else mentioned, you want your clubs to be spaced out evenly in terms of distance.

depends if you have any other woods. if you have a 5 wood already definitely go with the 3. if you dont have any woods and you only plan on getting one then the 4 probably isn't a bad idea but i think 3 and 5 is the best thing to do.

I am playing a 4 wood currently (Nike Dymo) and must say I love it. It's so much easier to hit off turf than 3 wood because the head is smaller and it has a higher trajectory from all shots. There is a little distance lost, but not that much that I have found - 10 yards might be about right. When I was playing a 3 wood I didn't hit it very often off turf because if it was not a really good lie I could get just as much distance with my 4H. Now I use the 4 wood on 2nd shots into par 5's and feel confident with it. It has a great trajectory and does seem easier to control than most 3 woods I've ever had. I also have been using it from tee more than I used to use my 3 because it seems a little easier to work (I like to hit a draw off tee with it most of the time).

Note: This thread is 4385 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.