IGNORED

Healthy Diet

ks8829
Note: This thread is 4676 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What do you eat to keep healthy? I have been exercising for about 2 weeks straight walking and running at least 2 miles a day and eating healthy meals. cutting back on carbs and eating more fruits and vegetables, snacking on soy bean snacks.

I read that the diet is 80% of losing your belly fat. What do you eat to keep healthy?

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Split a dinner plate in three.

To gain weight: 50% potatoes, rice, pasta. 25% meat, fish etc. 25% vegetables.
To keep the weight: 25% of each
To lose weight: 25% potatoes, rice, pasta. 25% meat, fish etc. 50% vegetables.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Everything in moderation except I try to minimize potatoes and wheat (amylose).

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

My personal trainer also doubles as my nutritionist. She has me on a diet consisting of 1410 calories/day spread out over five sittings.

Breakfast (7:30): Egg whites, brown rice, banana, wheat toast, skim milk
Snack (10:30): Protein bar
Lunch (1:30): Tuna sandwhich, apple, chips
Snack (5:00): Chicken breast, salad, sugar free jello pudding
Dinner (7:30): Protein shake

Lots of water!

It took me a while to break down those foods and fit them into the calorie count, about 4 hours, but I did it. The trick to counting calories is not to simply look at the "calorie count" on the box, but to calculate them from the grams of fat, protein and carbs. 1 gram of fat = 9 cal, 1 gram of protein = 4 cal and 1 gram of carb = 4 cal. Using those counts I can interchange foods as necessary. Turkey sandwhich here, steak burrito there, as long as it fits (or is close) to the count I'm alright.

I haven't been sticking to this program menu quite as I should, summer calls for lots of sun and a lot of time spent on the course. But I try to follow it closely.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I am totally convinced that the low-fat diet is exactly opposite of healthy. I favor a low-carb diet. The best book (and I have read many) is Protein Power Lifeplan. Essentially, try to totally forget bread, potatoes, pasta, sugars. Eat nothing that's in a box. No grain products. If I were to take pictures of all of my meals, you would think "My, what healthy food!" (Meats, veggies, berries, melon.) Read that book!

May 2009: Back into golf after 5 yr layoff, lovin' it! Best ever hdcp: +1.2
Driver: Titleist 983E 9.5*, 3W: Turner 13*, Hybrid: Turner 16*, Irons 4-PW: Taylormade RAC MB blades, Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action RTG, Putter: Odyssey White Steel Tri-ball SRT

I am totally convinced that the low-fat diet is exactly opposite of healthy. I favor a low-carb diet. The best book (and I have read many) is Protein Power Lifeplan. Essentially, try to totally forget bread, potatoes, pasta, sugars. Eat nothing that's in a box. No grain products. If I were to take pictures of all of my meals, you would think "My, what healthy food!" (Meats, veggies, berries, melon.) Read that book!

Yeah, it sounds exactly like

Ritchie Shoemaker's "No-Amylose Diet" my doctor has steered me to; controlling insulin production for healthy weight (or something to that effect).

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Between 60-70 hour work weeks and 10-20 hours of golf my diet for the past year has looked something like this.

Breakfast
"Mega Monster" Energy Drink 24 oz
Family Sized Bag of Chips, usually sour cream and onion
64oz Water

Lunch
Large Fries
Bacon Double Cheeseburger
32oz Coke

Snack
2 BLT's
Large Fries
32 oz coke
32 oz Water

Dinner
2 Bacon Cheeseburgers
2 Large Fries
64 oz coke
32 oz Water

Late Snack
Pasta
Bananna
Ice Cream
16 oz Water
Bananna

Im gonna need to change it but after 2 years of the 8000 calorie fast food diet im still not in bad shape-5'11 165 lbs 12% body fat. But im thinking im gonna change my eating habits in the fall. But i said that last summer, fall and winter and not much has changed so i guess we'll see what happens.

Carry Bag
Hyper-X 9 Degree Stiff
Redline 13 Degree Stiff
Halo 19 Degree Hybrid Stiff
BH-5 3-PW Stiff SV Tour 52 Degree Stiff Rac Chrome 56 Degree Stiff Scotty Cameron Oil Can Santa Fe 33" Burner

Between 60-70 hour work weeks and 10-20 hours of golf my diet for the past year has looked something like this.

Holy cow! You must be young?

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Yeah.. wow... my advice is wean yourself off that diet asap. Even if you're keeping a healthy weight, there's not a whole lot of nutrition in those calories.

I've never been very overweight, maybe just at the upper end of "healthy" weight for my height according to the standard charts. But I managed to lose about 15 pounds over the course of a few years even with spotty exercise regimens (although I do a lot of walking for transportation). For me a couple things made the difference. First was almost completely cutting out soft drinks and juice and drinking only water (and beer heh). Second was eating home-cooked meals most nights. We had to start doing this because our son has some food allergies that make restaurant or prepared foods difficult. Although it took some training, it's gotten to the point that it's not that difficult to find time to prepare good food... also the sorts of foods that are easy at home are often healthier than the fast food options they replace.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

exercise at 6:30am
walked a mile
ran a mile
hit 8 irons for about an hour
lifted 10 & 15 lb weights 15 minutes

breakfast
apple (1)

lunch
Sushi with rice

exercise
chipped for an hour
putted for an hour

Dinner
Turkey slice (2)
chicken salad
soy bean
small piece of brownie

exercise at 7:30pm
walked 2/3 mile
ran 2/3 mile

Water
Vitamin drink

Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

ProV-1

The simplest way to do it is to divide your plate into thirds. 1/3 protien, 1/3 carbs (rice, potatoes, etc), 1/3 green veggies. Eat small meals 5-6times/day. 3 meals can be as described above, the other 2 can be something simple like a can of tuna and an apple. Don't take it overboard unless you're a competition bodybuilder or the like.
A great way to track what you're eating is to go to www.fitday.com and enter what you ate for the day.
P.S... Drink at least 3 liters of water per day, more if you're sweating. Drop the other drinks for 3 weeks and afterward I guarantee soda will make you sick. You'll realize you're drinking poison.

A gun to the head is faster, but will have the same effect.

I know i dont eat very healthy and im going to change it at some point in time, but as far as my actual health levels im sure im as good or better than all of you. I have low cholosterol, low blood pressure, a resting heart rate of 48 and have a six pack. So ill change it but I think some of you may be overreacting a little bit.

And to say the thing about "A gun to the head is faster, but will have the same effect." is stupid because so is living as healthy as possible--you can eat all the green leafy veggies, omega 3 fatty acids, vitimans and whatever else you want but its not gonna change the fact your gonna die at some point in time. So really eating a salad diet has the same effect as a gun just not as fast.

BTW Today was not as bad of a diet--still not great but better

Breakfast
16 oz Monster
Bananna
Blueberries

Lunch

32 oz Water
Peach
Strawberries

Snack

52 oz Coke
Medium Fries
Onion Rings

Dinner
32 oz Coke
32 oz Water
4 Slices of Pizza
Soft Ice Cream

Carry Bag
Hyper-X 9 Degree Stiff
Redline 13 Degree Stiff
BH-5 3-PW Stiff SV Tour 52 Degree Stiff Rac Chrome 56 Degree Stiff Scotty Cameron Oil Can Santa Fe 33" Burner

P.S... Drink at least 3 liters of water per day, more if you're sweating. Drop the other drinks for 3 weeks and afterward I guarantee soda will make you sick. You'll realize you're drinking poison.

Agree with cutting out soda for a while to remind yourself how nasty that stuff really is. I occasionally will drink it, but I could never go back to it as a standard go-to beverage. Easiest way to cut several hundred completely worthless calories per day.

Not sure that going all the way to 3L of water is necessary. But whatever works for you.
I know i dont eat very healthy and im going to change it at some point in time, but as far as my actual health levels im sure im as good or better than all of you. I have low cholosterol, low blood pressure, a resting heart rate of 48 and have a six pack. So ill change it but I think some of you may be overreacting a little bit.

Sounds like you're in good health, but I said what I said merely because there seem to be some obvious changes that could help you improve. It seems that there are probably some vitamins, minerals, and fiber lacking if that's really your complete daily diet. It's great that your cardiovascular system is in good shape, but it's possible to be in apparently good condition but still have more complex health problems developing silently.

And to say the thing about "A gun to the head is faster, but will have the same effect." is stupid because so is living as healthy as possible--you can eat all the green leafy veggies, omega 3 fatty acids, vitimans and whatever else you want but its not gonna change the fact your gonna die at some point in time. So really eating a salad diet has the same effect as a gun just not as fast.

Now, now, let's not call each other stupid over a little joke. We all know we're not going to live forever, but a little effort to minimize obvious risks can go a long way. Eating 3000 saturated fat calories today obviously has no bearing on whether you get hit by a bus tomorrow, but it might be the difference between heart failure at 45 and parachute failure at 90. For me, it's a no-brainer. Heck, I have realized I usually enjoy fresher, healthier foods a lot more than fast food sludge anyway. It helps that I enjoy cooking as a hobby too...

edit: BTW, good choice with the fruit. Easiest, tastiest improvement to a diet IMO.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

exercise
walked a mile
ran a mile
walked 18 holes

breakfast
rice & chicken

snack while playing golf
2 bananas
1 boiled egg
soy bean
cashew nuts
mineral water
water

lunch
turkey meat
chicken salad

afternoon exercise
walked a mile
ran a mile

dinner
lasagna
broccli
water

snack
cashew nuts
2 sesame candies

Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

ProV-1

I wasnt tryin to call you stupid i was just sayin that your analogy was a little bit extreme. But my biggest problem is that I work evenings at a pro baseball stadium so i get free drinks and free stadium food up to 15 dollars. This is why my dinners and sometimes lunches suck really bad. But im done workin there for the summer in a few weeks and hopefully when i go back to school i can get onto a better diet.

Carry Bag
Hyper-X 9 Degree Stiff
Redline 13 Degree Stiff

I started riding my mountain bike and hitting the tread mill last month. It has helped.

Diet wise for me meant cutting out all sweets...I was a bad snacker on poorly chosen items.

Diet wise also meant timing my meals better. I started eating dinner much earlier....not waiting until an hour prior to bedtime (tough sometimes due to work schedule). I keep emergency rations on hand at work. One of the foil bags of albacore tuna and a can of fruit does a fine job and doesn't have to be refrigerated.

Also the Healthy Choice steamers are great for when I take my lunch to work.

At home I cook on the grill a lot and use less sugary bbq sauces.

At all times I try to drink tons of water.

Adding a mutlivitamin with breakfast and dinner was the key.

I feel better and lost 15 pounds in July and am sticking with it. The joints feel much better, too.

Lower fat, lower processed carbs, more roughage, almost no added sugars, multivitamins and tons of water along with better timing of meals.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I am currently bulking up a bit, in order to gain better consistensy and hopefully more power to my driver.

So now I eat two portions of whole grain + various seeds during the day. I have to eat this for breakfast, in order to get enough energy to keep me going. I blend the whole grain and seeds with a tbsp of honey and milk. It is really delicious, and I hope to continue eating this meal.

Other than that, I stay away from bread. Bread is nothing but a bad alternative for whole grain, no matter how dark the bread looks, it is not good for you, unless it is one of those compact bricks. But who wants to eat that?

I also love meat and fish. But as lucky as I am, I do not fancy those unhealthy kinds of meat and fish. I talk about hamburgers, hot dogs and all those fatty and unhealthy kinds of meals.
I consider myself lucky that I am so passionate about clean meat. It has lots of good proteins for your body, and the carbs are also of a good type. The fat on the other hand, is bad. But taken into consideration, the fat is in so small portions here, and I don`t get much fat other ways either, so I am not in a position to complain.

I also prefer doing some protein shakes. I don`t do them as of now, as I have had vacation, which means only golf and surfing, and no working out. But I am getting my shipment of whey protein and hopefully the shipment of casein tomorrow, so I can complement my excercise with these supplements.

Since the end of my vacation, I`ve been exercising twice daily, one before going to work, and one in the evening. And I have to say wow, this really have made progression on my way of playing the game. What was my strong point and advantage before, all of a sudden became my weakness: the putting.
I do know that exercising twice daily is hard for your body, and I know the risks that comes with it. Therefore, I eat throughout healthy, and sleep well. To be honest, if you work out twice daily, you sleep like a baby whether you want it or not.

Bottom line:
Even though this kind of regimen is in order to get "bulky", I still lose fat. Not that there is much to lose on my body, but I had a little under the belly. It gets smaller for every day, and the six pack is getting bigger.
I`ve gained a lot of weight, but who cares? It is muscles, and believe me; they don`t do you any harm in any way. If you have the time, and have the will power, you are able to do it.

I have made one hole in one this far. While you are reading this, I am most likely out on the tee trying to sink another one

Note: This thread is 4676 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!