IGNORED

How far?

Konrad
Note: This thread is 6440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How far do people overestmate driver distance?

• 10 Yards
    • 15 Yards
    • 20 Yards
    • 25+ Yards
    • They don't overestimate
    • They underestimate (ha!)

• Administrator
does no one else think they themselves overestimate???

The only times I really ever measure my drives are when fairways are soft and I can see and find the ball mark where my ball came down. Thus, I know my carry distance.

If others do that, they too probably know how they hit the ball. And as someone else said earlier, a lot of us here have been on launch monitors, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On a uphill course I can hit it about 225-250 yards, is that good for a 13 year old who's been playing golf for 1 1/2 years? Well, even if it isn't my irons are good so I don't mind about my drive.

Working at a driving range I see a wide variety of players. There definitly are quite a few people that can pound a range ball 240+. It is hard to say how far a good ball would go, but I would imagine a 10% increase in distance at the very least. Maybe as much as 15% or 20% for some. But many of these long hitters don't count 7/10 drives that they sprayed left or right, or duffed, just mishit in general. Some people hit half of their drives less than 200 and the other half 230, and they only seem to factor in the 230's towards the average. I do not think they are intentionally inflating their ability to others but are probably trying to make themselves feel better about their game.

Another problem I see in the courses I have played is improper distance markers on the course. I mis-hit a drive on a straight 330 yard hole that wound up next to the 100-yard marker. There is no way my ball went more than 180 to 200. Average golfers don't pay much attention to something like this, they just go and assume they hit one 230.

I know that everyone, whether they realize it or not, will overestimate things, so I try to be conservative with my estimates. I have hit my driver on the range 200 but not often. If I'm being honest with someone who asks I'd just say that I've hit it 200yds but normally around 175.

btw, how do you measure the distance of your shots on a course? Just walk the distance? (N00b here, I dont really know)

In my bag:

King Cobra 9.5 Driver

Tight Lies 3 Fairway Wood Zing2 3 to 9 irons, SW, PW, Putter Lob Wedge

• Administrator
btw, how do you measure the distance of your shots on a course? Just walk the distance? (N00b here, I dont really know)

On a straightaway hole on which you trust the yardage, it's simple:

distance of hole - distance to center of green = distance of drive. Occasionally I'll point my range finder at a tree beside the tee or something if it's a dogleg or whatever.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

i hit about 235-245 but sometimes hit long drives of 260 depending on the course condition.

I don't believe those markers on the driving range anyway. But how do you really measure your tee shot on a golf course?

210 yrds is good enough for me... because I'm an lron man....
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

You know i have no idea exactly what my normal drive is. I was testing out the new driver i eventually bought at Dicks sporting goods (r580XD) and I'll admit i sprayed a bunch. (I couldn't seem to get used to being inside a room hitting a golf ball mentally, plus i'm not all that great). But of the good shots i had with it, i averaged 220 to 240 in the air.

Then i went to my local driving range, and i'm dropping it at the 218 yard stick (per their markings). I really don't know what to trust.

So in the end .. i think 250 sounds good, and if its straight and lands in a good spot. i could care less if its really 200.. or if its 280.

I think a lot of people just like to overestimate, to feel like they're progressing.

I'm terrible, but i have fun.

In the Bag:
Taylormade r580XD 10.5° Reg flex
3 + 5 wood - Dunlop graphite shaft parts from a set3-pw - Dunlop set that looks sorta like ping I3's (i'm sorely in need of an upgrade.)LW/SW/GW - Adams black 52, 56, 60 degree wedges.Putter - Ping Karsten Anser 34"Bac...

w/o taking some crazy roll into consideration (see British Open 2005 and 2006 ) when I'm 275 off the tee - I know I "nailed" it. 240 - 260 it is very solid shot.
It sucks to be old and out of shape

from Michelle Wie's stats at Evion Master : DRIVING DISTANCE: 278.50

my driving range seems to have short markers. I always seem to notice a good drive on the course, suprises me when i do the math of what marker i'm at and how long the hole is, whereas at the range, the markers seem to say about 20 yards shorter.

I totally think people inflate their range to make themselves feel better, and not to lie to people. And so what, if it keeps you happy and you play well, then whatever.

I'm terrible, but i have fun.

In the Bag:
Taylormade r580XD 10.5° Reg flex
3 + 5 wood - Dunlop graphite shaft parts from a set3-pw - Dunlop set that looks sorta like ping I3's (i'm sorely in need of an upgrade.)LW/SW/GW - Adams black 52, 56, 60 degree wedges.Putter - Ping Karsten Anser 34"Bac...

• 5 weeks later...
I have slowed down my swing and my drives are getting longer. That seems contradictive but in reality the clubhead is moving faster at impact as a result of the slower backswing. I can feel the power at the bottom more now than before and it feels great. I tend to swing alot like Lee Trevino, open stance and come from the inside. Now I need to work on my irons. I've been casting them and losing alot of the power before impact. It will come, it just takes time.

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

I have gained yardage as I have gotten older due mostly to better equipment, but also due to better swing mechanics. I am getting better with experience, this is my sixth year playing. I played a tournament Saturday (Customer Scramble) and I drove the green on a par 4 (285, on the flat) and over the green on a par 4 (270, on the flat). Now I know I was putting a little extra into them because I was hitting last in the rotation, but still, for an old man, that is long.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

I never know what to say when asked this. The range I practice at daily has the net at 207 from the tees, and limited range balls. And I don't hit driver much on the course as it's my worst club and generally costs me strokes. So I really don't know how far I hit it.

I shot a 90 last weekend and never pulled the big stick out of the bag.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

I think most people call there average the average of their long drives. When I first started here I was one of these guys.

Now (before a 275 avg driver lol) I am about 250-260 based on course markings. I have on occasion with a perfect rip and good roll approached 300, this is rare though. My average good smacks are about 260-270 but you gotta calculate those mishits that go anywhere from 150-225
IN THE BAG

Driver: R580 W/ Fujikura VistaPro Eighty S Flex
Woods: 15* 300 series R80
Irons: TaylorMade RAC LT T Step Professional 110-gram steel RegularWedge: TP Rac Black Y Cutter 52/8 56/12Putter: Nubbins M2Ball: Bridgestone e5Course: League @ Bedford Hills

I don't know what advantage one has by being untruthful on this topic. After 18 holes the truth reveals itself. I'd rather hit the fairway.

You guys should come out to Las Vegas! I regularly carry it just 225-235 on good contact . . . but baby it rolls on these ultra hard dry fairways!!! Usually can count on minimum 250 on good contact and 275-285 several times a round. If I can catch the back side of this mogul on hole two, I am past 300!!!

I calculate my average drive distance without including misshits. I want to know what I can do when I hit it square - not when I miss.

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

I calculate my average drive distance without including misshits. I want to know what I can do when I hit it square - not when I miss.

Then that is not your average.

I bet you don't count your bad rounds towards your handicap either.
IN THE BAG

Driver: R580 W/ Fujikura VistaPro Eighty S Flex
Woods: 15* 300 series R80
Irons: TaylorMade RAC LT T Step Professional 110-gram steel RegularWedge: TP Rac Black Y Cutter 52/8 56/12Putter: Nubbins M2Ball: Bridgestone e5Course: League @ Bedford Hills

Note: This thread is 6440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!