IGNORED

What tees do you play from?

SpringBokVol
Note: This thread is 5347 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What tees do you play from?

• The Tips
    • Blue
    • White
    • Changes course by course

I`ve always felt you should play from the tees that make the course fun,but a challenge.Of course,tournament play makes the choice for you.I don`t want a chip shot into every par 4,but don`t want to hit 3 wood into them,either. Remember,Tiger can hit a 6 iron 220,as do alot of pros.If I could do it,I`d probably get on the tips too.Unless you`re young or have aspirations to go pro,just have fun at whatever tees serve you best,along with your partners. It doesn`t help your game or help you improve to shoot 98+ everytime you play from playing the tips, when you shouldn`t,IMO.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if its my decision, ill usually play from the tips. however, if i play with my dad or some friends that dont want to play the tips, ill play from wherever they play from.

In My Ozone Stand Bag:
Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff
3 Wood: Burner 15* Stiff
Hybrid: Burner 19* Stiff
Irons: Tour Burner 4-GWWedges: CG14 54.12, 58.12Putter: SabertoothBall: TP Back Rangefinder: GX-IHome Course: http://www.strawberryridgegolfcourse.com/

I usually play from the whites, although some of the courses I play have some pretty short par 4s. If I'm playing with other people that are playing from the blues, I'll usually join them and play from the blues as well.

The funny thing is, it seems like I have lower scores when I play from the blues rather than from the whites. Many times from the whites, if I hit my driver I'm left with some goofy yardages ... many times less than 100 yards.

I don't hit 300 yard drives by any means ... but many times the par 4s are downhill, downwind and I have short yardages to the pin. When I play from the blues, I suppose I get more middle-iron yardages to the pins.

It doesn't make much sense to me, but it seems as though I play better from the blues many times. Of course there are times when I play from the blues & I shank my tee shot & can't even get off the tee box (or can't get passed the red tees)

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

Ill play whatever the regulation tee is. Useally blue tees. If im playing a course ive never seen before, ill ask in the pro-shop what the reg tees are. Some courses have black tees, and if is shorter than 6900, ill go back there. But about 6900 yards is the max distance i can play comfortably.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I will generally play the tips if they are under 6,700 anything more than that is too long for me.

R9 10.5 Aldila Voodo Stiff
S9-1 3W Stiff
Baffler 20 Degree
AP2 (3-PW) KBS Stiff
Vokey Design (52,56,60) Redwood

I selected course by course but it actually depends more on who I'm playing with. Does my group play from whites? blues?. I think it makes more sense to play from wherever everyone else is.

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

Regardless of the color, I typically play 6500 to 6900 Yds. Sometimes that turns out be be the tips, other times whites.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

most often, i'll play from the tips, but if i'm playing with a group of people who are all teeing up from the whites or blues or wherever, i'll go ahead and move up with them just so i don't look like some pompous jerkwheat being all "look at me, *I* hit from the tips, and *you* don't."

I Usually play as a single and get paired with others. I will play from whatever tees they are playing from.

This is almost exactly what I do, except I've decided that when my average round is below 80, then I'll move back to the blues (on my own). The funny thing is, I'm a pretty long hitter, and I ALWAYS hit it further than the guys I get paired with who insist on the blues, and often hit it further and win by 5-10 strokes, yet I'm the one who wants to play the whites...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I play from the whites unless I'm with a group that wants to do something different, then I just go with the flow. My reason for playing from the whites is that I'm an intermediate golfer, so I should be playing from the intermediate tees. A couple of weeks ago I played 9 with my wife, from the reds. I only scored better by about 2 strokes, but I did get to play some shorter irons than usual.

Varies from course to course. Usually, anything under 6200 yds is a little shorter than I like, while anything over 6700 gets to be a little too long.

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

Usually I'm a solo walk-on and defer to the group, which almost always plays from the whites. But if they play from the blues I'll do that as well and it doesn't seem to make much difference to my score. Maybe playing with better golfers from the blues improves my game - better pace, more focus etc., I dunno.

Lots of sensible posts in this thread. Actually I don't see many golfers out there playing way over their heads, not much point to it for most people.. Like someone said, you want a challenge, but not an overwhelming one.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

It's good to see that a lot of people are playing the appropriate tees instead of letting their egos get in the way.

lol, the people in this forum all seem to know to play the appropriate tees ... but I can't tell you how many times I show up to play a round & get paired up with other people that should NOT be playing from the back blue tees. It's pretty embarrassing ... and it makes for a LONG round.

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

I usually play from the whites. The other day, I decided to play from the blues. The fairways look totally different from that perspective. What was interesting, is that I scored no different from the blues. I guess the driver is not my problem area. Also, it was really fun changing it up.

My score when playing form whites or blues varies little, I think before hybrids it was tougher, because I had trouble if forced to hit a 3 iron into the green. It is a wash for me to chip 30 feet off the green or two putt a GIR. If I could reach par 5s in two from the whites or put my short irons stiff then it would affect my score more. Par 3s over 230 or par 4s over 440 give me problems.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Mostly the white tees. I try to stay between 6000-6300 yards.

Even if the rest of the group wants to play from the blues, I'll still play from the whites.

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

I don't think listing tees by color was such a great idea considering courses tee colors could be different. We don't even have blue or white tees.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

I usually play from the tips becuase I feel like I should haha. The distance is there so I feel like I should really test myself playing from the back. I know I'm not great enough to shoot par from the front but I dont' know why, it just seems right that I do. I will play from the front tees when I play with friends though so we're playign more of the same game.

Note: This thread is 5347 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!