IGNORED

Golf in the Olympics???

TN94z
Note: This thread is 5362 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Like others, I'm on the fence on this subject. As a biased golfer, I'd love to see this sport included. However, I believe the greatest incentive of including golf being financial. Think of the markets this would open up. It would accelerate the rate of growth of the game for many countries, as well as introducing equipment and apparel companies to these corners of the world. Thus, I think including golf probably does more for the sport itself than the overall Olympic entity.

This doesn't mean that the Olympic Governing Board wouldn't consider this. Think of all the "X-Game" time of "activities" that are included now. This was purely a financial decision. If we were to look at the seven sports fighting for the two spots, golf has the largest marketing potential worldwide.

I do see the Olympics wavering in its decision making when it comes to including/excluding sports. The idea of providing amateur athletes a global forum to compete for the greatest prize in their sport, doesn't quite translate to basketball, tennis, baseball, or golf. These sports already have established tournaments, tours, and traditions. Perhaps biggest reason being that at the best of the competition, the competition is comprised of professionals, the worst of the competition, the best (pros) don't show up, and interest in the Olympic events declines. Having an athlete like Tiger Woods is great, and probably provides a great impetus for the Governing Body to include golf. But, like someone already mentioned, when golf in the Olympics actually becomes a reality, Tiger will be closer to the tail end of his career.

Lastly, I have a hard time imagining the format of competition. How will they make it competive for countries that are NOT the US or Australia? Sports like basketball, softball, and baseball gets a lot of bad rep in the Olympics for being disproportionately dominated by the US. Venue for the competition will be difficult as well. Yes, golf courses are popping up everywhere. But, can you find a championship type of a course in every site that holds the Olympics? You can build a swimming pool, but golf courses needs time to mature and grow into form. You'd hate for the athletes to compete on a second-tier course for the "greatest" prize in their sport, once every four years...

Driver:  R11S 10.5°, Fairway Woods:  909 F2 15.5°, Hybrid:  G10 21°

Irons:  Tour Preferred MC 4-P, Wedges:  Vokey SM 52.08, 56.10, 60.04

Putter:  Tei3 Newport II / Circa 62 #3, Ball:  Pro V1X / NXT Tour

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like others, I'm on the fence on this subject. As a biased golfer, I'd love to see this sport included. However, I believe the greatest incentive of including golf being financial. Think of the markets this would open up. It would accelerate the rate of growth of the game for many countries, as well as introducing equipment and apparel companies to these corners of the world. Thus, I think including golf probably does more for the sport itself than the overall Olympic entity.

The US and Australia would have some great players in the field. There are many other countries that could win, but I'm not going to list them. I'm too busy coming up with a list of Australians who are currently dominating the golf world. If it was done like the Canada Cup (World Cup), there would only be one or 2 teams per country anyway.

If Olympic golf (that just sounds wrong) is cherished as much as Olympic tennis and soccer (ie. not very much), I don't think the Majors are in any trouble.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

i have only one reason. Golf is an actual sport!!!!!!!!!!!! Ping pong is an olympic event and its hardly a sport more of a game.

I've worked with a lot of non-golfers who would argue otherwise. They see golf like billiards or darts. An activity that takes some amount of skill to do, but one doesn't necessarily have to be very strong, flexible, fit or agile. I see their point - an out of shape whale can still get around a golf course quite well (especially when he drive a little buggy between shots) a lot better than someone in the same shape would fare against an average opponent playing table tennis.

I could do without golf in the olmpics, but mostly because with the Ryder Cup, President's Trophy, World Cup, and the little flag beside every golfer's name during majors, there's already enough flag waving in this "sport".

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

NO.

1. The motivation is more about marketing and expanding markets for "golf" than any real sense that golf is an Olympic endeavor;
2. The golf schedule is already oversaturated;
3. Not every sport needs to be or should be in the Olympics (examples of sports that should not be don't justify adding golf, they justify dropping those sports from the Olympics);
4. Extension of #1 above: apart from the motives, what does the average golf fan care/how does the average golfer benefit from golf taking root in "new markets"? Probably very little.
5. The idea of our golfing athletes competing naked in the Olympics, isn't that how it works?, is just not appealing to me, some things just shouldn't be done naked, ask Seinfeld.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

You have that right. I can't think of a single event that is better because they have allowed pros in. Basketball was much more interesting when it was amateurs (and the US team was made up of the best college players.)

If it were amateur only.....I could almost see that. It would open markets for buisness, not that I care, and it would really mean something to Amateurs to win a medal. Pro's have their game and it's not in the Olympics.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

I pretty much say no to this as well. Just seems weird. And yeah, how in the heck would this impact the regular tour schedule? freaky, just freaky.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

should not

1. Not a world sport. Sure it's played in many countries, but it only thrives in maybe two handfuls of countries world wide. Golf is only for countries with wealth. Less fortunate countries can't sacrifice grazing or crop land for golf courses.
2. There are already too many events during the summer olympics. Lets get back to track and field and swimming. The olympics is about running/swiming fast, jumping high/far, throwing something. Lets get rid of synchronized swimming, rhythmic gymnastics. Lets get rid of tennis while we are at it.
3. the best golfers in the world might not play in it (they already complain about not getting paid for the Ryder Cup). The Olympics is no longer for amateurs (which is a shame), but almost impossible to achieve this ideal these days.
4. How do you figure out the playoff system to make it fair--there could be ten ties for second/third place. How many playoff holes, or just give out three silvers and seven bronzes
5. Nobody would watch it, unless Tiger plays.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Dutch television news just announced that the Olympic Committee has added golf and rugby sevens to the 2016 Olympics. I'm sure people will be able to provide links to nice inside stories shortly. Apparently there's one more meeting before it's official, but it seems settled.

Now I'm just curious whether they will keep the top 30 + the 2 best players per country selection rule. Cause that would result in a lot of ecstatic golfers from smaller countries

What do you think? And did I miss the thread on this subject somewhere?

If olympic golf format is just going to be another 72 hole stroke play event, then its barely gonna be worth watching, IMO. I hope it changes between now and '16 games.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

If olympic golf format is just going to be another 72 hole stroke play event, then its barely gonna be worth watching, IMO. I hope it changes between now and '16 games.

yeah, I agree, it'll just be another tournament. We need like better ball, scramble anything to actually get watchers and showcase the players skills in a different way. I hate the 72 hole thing for the Olympics.

Golf proposes a 72-hole stroke-play competition for men and women, with 60 players in each field. The world's top 15 players would qualify automatically, and all major professional tours would alter tournament schedules to avoid a clash with the Olympics.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=4396021 72 hole stroke play is disapointing to me. I would have liked to seen 2 man teams or something to differentiate it from a normal tournament.

how would you change it? match play?

maybe have an elimination round of 18 hole stroke play. Top so many players advance to match play. To fit it in, you could do 9 hole matches, that would allow you to have 6 matches and have the top 64 golfers, and in the end you are still only playing 72 holes of golf. If you did 18 hole matches you would only have like the top 8.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

one good thing is that there is a possability that Chicago will get the 2016 olympics, so the first olympic golf match since ~1904.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

I'd like fourball, or even foursome, but scramble would be totally usuless right? Our scramble games always turn into a putting contest...

But if all tournaments on the PGA and European Tour are played strokeplay, barred one or two, it makes sense to use that format for the olympics as well right?

Well I am excited! I think that it will be awesome. Trust me it won't be just another tournament, its the OLYMPICS!!! Your not playing for a trophy your playing for a gold medal!

Lefty Golfer!
In my light stand bag:
R7 Limited Driver 9.5* Matrix Ozik xcon 5.5 Stiff Shaft
A3os 3 (19*) and 4 (22*) Hybrids Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff shafts
X-22's 5-AW Regular Flex Uniflex Steel Shafts X-Forged SW 56* & LW 60* 35" Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 ('04 version) with a...

I think they should do both - just as any other sport has both team and individual events.

Other than that, 72 hole play is the only way to go

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Nothing but another professional tournament.......with a weaker overall field.

Remember back when the Olympics represented the pinnacle of amateur athletic competition? Before the days of professional dream-teams and the like? When athletes had to make a decision to delay turning professional in order to compete in the Olympic games......

Sorry, I just can't get any more excited about Olympic golf than I do Olympic basketball.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I dont know about anyone else but I think it is CRAP that the Olympic hypothetical golf in 2016 and beyond will be played by pros and not Amateurs. It should be the top Amateurs from around the world competing. The pros have millions of $ let the Amateurs have the Olympics. It also might be a springboard for aspiring pros to get in the limelight.

:taylormade: R9 9.5d with Fujikura Motore 65 Stiff
ss-07 13deg 3 wood Graphite Design Purple Ice 85-S
Md-17 1i/4w UST V2 Tour Hybrid X
A3 Pro 20 Tour Prototype Mitsubishi Javln X
MP 57 4,5,6 Project X 6.5 MP 67 7,8,9 Project X 6.5 Vokey 200 series 48d Project X satin 6.5/ Vokey 09SMTC 54.11...

Note: This thread is 5362 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!