IGNORED

Golf in the Olympics???

TN94z
Note: This thread is 5341 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Olympics has been "pro" for better than 20 years now.......why should it matter for the golfers?
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cough, basketball, figure skating, gymnastics cough

The whole point of adding sports to the Olympics is to bring in new viewers. More people are going to watch to see if Tiger Woods can get a gold medal than they will if Joe Podunk from Bumfunk, Egypt will struggle for his bronze and be on a Weedies box with Michael Phelps.

In my Acuity bag:

Driver: HiBore XL
Woods: Acuity 3 Wood and 3I-hybrid
Irons: Acuity oversized cavity backs 4 - PWWedges: Tourney Silver Scot 192Putter: Acuity half-malletBall: XL 5000 Super Straight

It would get no where the same following if they had the amateurs. Plus the whole idea of amateurs only playing in the Olympics went out a long time of go. I want to see the best of the best compete.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

I agree 100% with the above posts. They said it pretty well.

The amateur idea went out the door long ago. The olympics are now about seeing the best of the best compete.

Lefty Golfer!
In my light stand bag:
R7 Limited Driver 9.5* Matrix Ozik xcon 5.5 Stiff Shaft
A3os 3 (19*) and 4 (22*) Hybrids Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff shafts
X-22's 5-AW Regular Flex Uniflex Steel Shafts X-Forged SW 56* & LW 60* 35" Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 ('04 version) with a...

I think the format should be 36 hole qaulifying, then a match play event the following week. 72 players, 64, whatever. Then a team event.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I'm pretty sure that amatuers will have a chance to qualify for the olympics. I'm with everyone else though I want to watch the best the world has to offer.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I made the same comment on the "Olympic" thread.

I hate the fact that professionals compete in the Olympics in any number of sports. If I want to watch Tiger play golf, I'll tune in on Sunday. If I want to watch Lebron play hoops, I'll catch the game Tuesday night.

The Olympics should be more about the purity of sport. I want to see that kid who decides to delay turning pro so that he can represent his country in the Olympic Games in the sport that he loves.

But that's just me.......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe play the 72 holes on 4 different courses to kind of distinguish it from a normal tournament.

Lefty Golfer!
In my light stand bag:
R7 Limited Driver 9.5* Matrix Ozik xcon 5.5 Stiff Shaft
A3os 3 (19*) and 4 (22*) Hybrids Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff shafts
X-22's 5-AW Regular Flex Uniflex Steel Shafts X-Forged SW 56* & LW 60* 35" Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 ('04 version) with a...

The olympics are now about seeing the best of the best compete.

You can see that just about every week of the year these days......

I think it's sad to see the Olympics reduced to just another professional athletic competition. But then, I'm old enough to remember it differently too.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I agree with you, but I understand why pros are allowed playing.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

Who in there right mind would delay turning pro to represent our country? I'm a patriot to the fullest but no one is holding off making a lot of money for the olympics. Plus look at the flip side of it the best pros never had a chance to say if they would wait to represent our country so I'm not sure its fair to make that statement.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I'm all for it. In fact, I believe Olympic athletes should be paid to play in the events and win prize money. the IOC makes billions of dollars by having free labor. Now, a lot of this money needs to go into building the new facilities and such so maybe paying these guys is a bit our of the question. But I hate to see people work for nothing while generating billions for someone else. This is why I refuse to watch NCAA sports, since that is an exploitative slave ship to the highest degree.

I'm all for it. In fact, I believe Olympic athletes should be paid to play in the events and win prize money. the IOC makes billions of dollars by having free labor. Now, a lot of this money needs to go into building the new facilities and such so maybe paying these guys is a bit our of the question. But I hate to see people work for nothing while generating billions for someone else. This is why I refuse to watch NCAA sports, since that is an exploitative slave ship to the highest degree.

Except for the fact that all the major televised colleges are giving the student athletes a free education. Some colleges are paying out well over 100grand per athlete.

The Olympics to me are about representing your country. And I want the best at that point in time competing for the gold. Whether that be Tiger, Phil, or an amatuer player. Whoever the best is.

It should be the top Amateurs from around the world competing.

If amateurs are the ones competing, then why would anyone watch it/follow it? Fans from every country want to see the best in the world, not the almost-best in the world. More fans = more coverage = better for Olympics. Easy decision.

Except for the fact that all the major televised colleges are giving the student athletes a free education. Some colleges are paying out well over 100grand per athlete.

That is so insanely laughable. The "student athlete" is a thing of the past. A relic in collegiate sports.

Yeah, it makes sense for someone on the rowing team. Free education, etc. But someone on the football or basketball team, generating billions for these schools...they get nothing. They would probably rather take the money they deserve and pay for college out of pocket. Or even if the school won't pay for them, why not let them work outside of it? Why can't they sign for money, do advertising and other promotions, etc? Why aren't they allowed to market themselves and provide for themselves and their family in a country where a man has a right to make a better life for himself?

Well, golf made the first cut.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

That is so insanely laughable. The "student athlete" is a thing of the past. A relic in collegiate sports.

that money does go back into the schools. The NCAA is a not for profit. While I am sure that some people in the NCAA make very lucrative salaries, the NCAA as an organization does not make any money. The money is supposed to go back to the schools, and into the athletics department, the education, etc.

I don't want the NCAA athlete to be allowed to earn anything because that would mean that they would choose the schools that have the best TV coverage and you wouldn't have any parity amoungst the sports. Back in the day, Notre dame had an exclusive TV contract and that is why every football player wanted to play for them. Its not a perfect system, but they are doing the best they can.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Note: This thread is 5341 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!