IGNORED

Iron Covers

iacas
Note: This thread is 5310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you use iron covers?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes (explain below)

i use them when I have to pack the bag b/c i'im traveling...lord knows how they treat bags like crap... but recently I started seeing nicks in my shafts..and after dropping $300 on my driver shaft and $70 on my wood and another $100 for my hybrid shaft..and the $230 for the iron shafts..I might start using them full time... but I use the club glove covers when I travel...they're awesome.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also...when they are in the golf cart...I don't like the idea of the iron head hitting my driver shaft/head and putter head....that is just wrong. So the covers not only protect the iron heads from getting beat...it also protects the driver and putter.

I understand what you mean. I don't mind my irons clanking around against each other, however, I don't want them banging into my graphite shafted woods. My wood headcovers have long enough "socks" on them to prevent this. I don't have a clue if the new drivers have simular socks or not.

I usually can arrange them in the bag so that they are safe. My current bag is missing some of the full length dividers that helped with this. Ten years old...it's time for a new bag, anyway.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I understand what you mean. I don't mind my irons clanking around against each other, however, I don't want them banging into my graphite shafted woods. My wood headcovers have long enough "socks" on them to prevent this. I don't have a clue if the new drivers have simular socks or not.

Wood headcovers are typically long enough...but I don't consider them padded enough to protected from the swinging iron heads that will smack against them. The 'sock' portion can ride up from the jarring of the golf cart....which will expose the shaft.

The full length dividers will not help...as the iron heads are above the top of the dividers...which will allow the heads to swing.

I use iron covers. I'm sure many of you had your bags fall off the golf cart. I've done that plenty of times. It's not so fun when your bag falls off the golf cart on the cart path....

That's why I use iron covers.

In The Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°, Fujikura RE*AX 65g Stiff
Hybrid: CLK 17°, Exsar HS2 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60, Project X 6.0, 3i / MP-32, Project X 6.0, 4i-PWWedges: MP-T Black Ni, 51.06 / 56.13 / 60.08Putter: Studio Style Newport 2, 34" / 340gBall: e5+

I think its a bit much for people to be saying that iron covers are to much of a hassle. It takes an extra second to pull the cover and stick it in your pocket. As for placing it back on the iron, I do that while I am walking to my next shot. I always carry the club that I hit with me so I can clean out the grooves, then I stick it back in and pull the next club. I also dont understand why people would be fumbling with the covers and struggling to find the right club as most covers have number tags on the outside.

It really isnt as big of a hassle as some have made it out to be. I dont enjoy the clanking sound of my irons when I walk so that was the main reason I purchased them, and the added protection is just a bonus.
In My Bridgestone Stand Bag:

Driver: TM r7 425 TP (8.5*) Stiff
Wood: TM Ti 5 Wood (18*) Stiff
Irons: TM r7 TP Irons (3-PW) RegularGW LW: TM rac Satin TPs ( 52* 56* 60*)Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider Balls: Bridgestone B330s

I use mine, but only when traveling to protect the club heads

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

I use them. A $5.00 dollar set I got on ebay from Hong Kong.

Pretty nice, have a zippered side. Takes me half a second to take them off, another half second to put them back on. If that is too long for someone, then they can just wait!

In my stand bag -

Burner 420, 10.5* Regular Shaft
V Steel 3 Wood, 15* Regular Shaft
V Steel 5 Wood, 18* Regular Shaft MP Fli-HI 2 Iron, 18* Regular Shaft, Steel (If not playing 5 Wood) 2007 FPs, 3-GW MP-T Series, 56* Raw Haze MP-T Series, 60* Raw Haze (Dont really play with this yet, trying to...

anybody else get annoyed by the people who are clanking their clubs around when you are trying to putt?
What's in the bag... ( Revolver)

Driver: Big Bertha Diablo 8*
3 Wood: 4DX Fairway 15*
3I-PW: X20 Tours (Rifle Project X Flighted 6.0)Wedges: CG12 Black Pearl 50* 54* SM Vokey X-Forged 58* C GrindPutter: Classic #2 66* lieBalls: Various

I never used before, but when I got my new X-20's I need to protect my investment, so now I use them when traveling to protect the club heads and when they are at home. At the couse they are almost free of covers.

----------------------------------
In my XXV Anniversary 10.5 Callaway Staff Bag
Driver FT-i 10°
Woods Big Bertha 3, 5, 7

Hybrid 4 X-Hybrid

Irons X-20 5-SW

Wedge 60° X-Tour

Putter Odyssey White steel Tri-Ball SRT

its just wrong! :)

I'm with you, one more thing to lose, and a bit metrosexual if you ask me.

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

Ever since I got my forged irons, covered all the way, everywhere from travel to green except of course when in use. Gives my caddy a headache though, specially if she misplaces one.

ISLAND PAR

In my Mizuno Bag:
TBD, MacGregor 4W(16*), 3H(20*),4H(23*), 5H(26*) Mizuno MX-900 6-PWAdams Watson 2010 Wedges (GW, SW, LW),Ping Wolverine Putter "But I thought you meant these golfers from our club when you said you needed SANDBAGGERS to help with the flood...

I've used covers on mine since I was a kid. One reason, I feel like they may make them last longer. I guess its a two part reason--I hate it when the clubs bang against each other. Nothing like clubs smacking each other because of a crappy cart path, crappy cart driver, or the bag is starting to get heavy after 13 or 14 holes. Depends on the day.

I don't know, I just like 'em. Neoprene, slide it off, put it in my pocket, take my shot, right back on the club and in the bag. Really takes no time

I've never really been bother by any dings on the clubs... they certaintly have never affected the performance of the clubs but if they began to I would definately use them. For now its just aesthetic, so I don't feel the need to take that kind of time to take them on and off, also cleaning the club before you put the cover on as to avoid getting dirt or mud inside the actual cover.

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

i find it to be a huge hassle to take them off and put them back on after every shot..

Ditto, I just don't like keeping track of them. Besides if you play in damp and you don't get your clubs dry enough your just trapping moisture.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

• 1 month later...
They are not worth using. They take up too much room and weight. I would use the towels on your bag and wrap them up and call it a day.

Joey R

In the Bag:

905T w/Aldila NV 75x 904F w/Dynamic Gold x100 MP-32 w/Project X 6.5 Vokey 52.08 BeCu 56 MP-R 60 Studio Stainless Newport 2 ProV1, ProV1x, or NXT Tour

I use them. If I was using cast clubs, I probably would not bother, but with softer forged irons, I will. I can't think of any occasion when I was slowing anyone down while I removed or replaced them. It certainly doesn't take any longer than with wood or putter covers, and I use them to, for the same reasons. I try to take the best care I can with everything I own, my clubs are no exception. I keep the house painted, and the car waxed too.

I HATE iron covers!!!! I caddied for 7 years, and I got to a point where I told my golfers that had them that I would take them off and put them in their bag for the duration of their round. It's NOT benefitial to your clubs because they trap moisture, they add weight to your bag, and you lose them often. I play forged clubs and hey... if you're worried about how your equipment looks more than how it plays, you need to re-evaluate your priorities. Besides, don't slam your clubs around and they'll be fine.

In the Bag (right now)...

Cleveland Tour Issue 310UL* - Miyazaki Kusala Blue 83X

Taylormade R9 TP Tour Issue 13* - Diamana Blue 63X

Taylormade TP Hybrid 17* - Matrix Altus 80X

Taylormade TP Hybrid 19* - Matrix Altus 80X

Nike Forged Blades - 4-W - ProjectX 6.5

Nike VR Black V-Rev 52*, 58*

Scotty Cameron California Hollywood

Taylormade Penta TP3 ball

Note: This thread is 5310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!