IGNORED

Iron Covers

iacas
Note: This thread is 5337 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you use iron covers?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes (explain below)

"•••• no, you get ass kicked for doing something like that!"

hahahaha!

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i do, why let my irons hit each other when I can protect them with covers. Its just as "professional" as putting covers on your woods. You pay alot of money for your clubs, protect them

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

Name me one pro who uses iron covers.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

Do you think funny character headcovers are professional because the pros use them? If I wear shorts to the golf course am I "unprofessional"?

This coming from the an Ian Poulter fan club member. JK. Do all pros use funny head covers? No. Do any pros use irons covers? No. Are shorts unprofessional? Yes. Do I wear them anyways? Yes. Go ahead and use your castle bays and foghed abowdit.

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

hahahaha!

lols .........

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

gay!!!!!!!!!!

G10 (VS Proto 65 X) or 905S (speeder X) / X Tour 3W (VS Proto S) / Adams Idea Tour Proto 18* (VS Proto S) / S59 Tour, Z-Z65 Cushin (D2) / Mizuno MP-T 51-06 , 56-10, / Miz TP Mills #6 ~or~ Cleveland BRZ #5

No, they are used by pros who are trying to be cute or comical, not professional. Did Bobby Jones or Ben Hogan use a yellow duck head cover?

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

I have iron covers that go on bag when they are being stored, driving to and from the course, and on an airplane. Don't use them on the course at all. I don't really care about dings honestly. They are just golf clubs. Dings give them character.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

No, they are used by pros who are trying to be cute or comical, not professional. Did Bobby Jones or Ben Hogan use a yellow duck head cover?

I don't know. I am not old enough. Can you say for certain that they never did use a novelty head cover? What constitutes a "professional" headcover anyway? For the record, I don't use iron covers or novelty covers. I use headcovers for my woods that were made by my wife. Furthermore none of us are professionals so that should have no bearing on wether or not we use iron covers.

I am certain that they did not. I'd also wager a nice sum that they did not ue Three Stooges head covers either.

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

I use them when I am transporting my clubs. I usually ride and I'll leave them on even once I've put them on the cart.

As I use the club during the round, I'll usually stick the iron cover in one of my bag pockets so I'm not putting it on and taking it off constantly, though I have put it back on after each shot a few times.

I'll sometimes put them back on for the ride home, but sometimes, I'll leave them off - just depends on how tired/lazy I am after a round.

I usually clean my clubs when I get home after a round or time at the range, dry them with a towel, and leave the iron covers off at least overnight, and usually until I need to transport them again, so that they will dry without having to worry about corrosion or anything like that. I play cast clubs, but you still never know, and if they're just sitting in my house, there is no hurry to stick the iron covers back on anyway.

I will put the cover back on my woods and hybrids after every shot with them.

My thoughts are:

1) A set of irons might typically cost anywhere from $200 - $1,500.

2) Irons are made to hit balls. They are made to hit toward and into the ground.

3) Irons will inevitably get some dings and scratches on on them over time, regardless of whether they are cast or forged.

4) However, why exacerbate the situation and make it easier for them to get beat up when you can put covers on the heads?

As for whether the pros use iron covers of not, who cares?

For one, the caddies walk the clubs, so they are not getting jostled around in the cart during a tournament; therefore, they are less susceptible to dings and scratches. Furthermore, most tour pros can call their company, whether it be TM, Nike, Cally, etc. and get a new set of whatever irons they want for free. Many of them probably have several sets of irons in their equipment trailer anyway.

The natural result of that is that most of them probably don't care whether their irons do get knicked up as they didn't have to pay for them in the first place, and they won't have to pay to replace them either.

If I could get a new set of irons any time I wanted for free just by calling my sponsor, I know I wouldn't care if any of my irons got a big ding in them.

Now, all of that being said, if I walked the courses most of the time, instead of riding, I likely wouldn't use iron head covers, except possibly for transportation to and from the course/range.

In my X-Series Bag:

Driver G10 10.5*
Woods V-Steel 3W, 5W
Hybrids Pinemeadow ZR1 19* 3HIrons MX-19 4-GWWedge MP-R Black Nickel 54/10Putter Rossa Sebring AGSI+

Why would they? Clubs to us are expensive, clubs to them are like tissues. They can get an unlimited amount. If I was a pro Id use new clubs for every major

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

• Administrator
I also notice that almost everyone has covers for their woods and hybrids.

Irons aren't painted and thus can't chip like metalwoods.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree. I made this same remark in a separate thread. Irons don't ting and clank like woods do - just a nice soothing cadence as I walk. They are also not as delicate and presumably don't have graphite shafts that get scratched and cut up.

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

Iron covers are absolutly lame.

Irons clanging into a metal wood can cause actual damage to the wood. Plus, a driver costs $300.00-$400.00. And it's a throwback to the day when woods were wood and could really chip if knocked around. But can still dent rather easily on the sides and bottom and top. The metal is so thin in most places on the big metal woods that dropping your bag and have a few irons clang into can cause very real damage.

And know this. If you do in fact use iron covers, you are being laughed at by quite a few people. Not that anyone would care. But it's true. Others are in fact making fun of you and snickering when you pop one off or snap it back on after a terrible shot.

Note: This thread is 5337 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!