IGNORED

Yes! I have Negative 11 Reputation Points

DDBowdoin
Note: This thread is 6483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

there are people on here who think they are hot stuff... as soon as you disagree or say something they think is wrong they jump right at you... it's actually kind of pathetic...the funny thing is its always the same people who come to rescue and try to "set things straight" because they think they are the final word...

it seems that the negative remarks constantly come from threads where there is no definitive answer, its one thing if you are talking about a club but to give a negative feedback because someone didn't think a girl should play in a tournament is subjective, there is no right or wrong answer... it makes no sense that people get nailed for having the unpopular position

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

I also can't blame DD for being well-educated, his comments were a bit pretentious (expected for someone coming from an establishment such as his) but I myself was ivy league educated.... don't display bitterness towards someone because you weren't able to attend such an institution...

Daniel Duarte
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

I can't agree more with JD... (for some reason on my browser when I select the star option the only available option is the agreement button... hence I am not able to return negative remarks)

The matters are completely subjective to personal opinion, no one here has been able to justify how a negative remark can be given to such an issue... I never once claimed that a 28 handicap should play a 6.5 degree XXXX stiff driver... I simply did not agree with someones OPINION on a program... haha... my points are building up (I had a negative remark the my opinion was 'retarded'... wow)

Daniel Duarte

• Administrator

OK guys, here's the deal.

1. "I agree" and "I disagree" is lame language. I've since put in placeholder "Give Negative Reputation Points" and "Give Positive Reputation Points." If you have suggestions for better language, share it.

2. I've deleted a few posts from this thread (and the replies to those posts). I may delete more. I don't want to delete more, so stop the petty stupid shit.

3. I also deleted jamesduncan's reputation comment from Fahoo.

NOW...

... a little explanation on what you see.

"Reputation" is two things. It's both your overall reputation and your reputation power.

Your "reputation" is how well esteemed you are. You build up a reputation by being a good citizen here of the forum and by people clicking the "positive" rep button. You can go down if they do the opposite.

You also build up "reputation power," which makes the reputation you hand out (good or bad) have more or less effect.

This screenshot from the control panel should help y'all see what I mean:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I can't agree more with JD... (for some reason on my browser when I select the star option the only available option is the agreement button... hence I am not able to return negative remarks)

Look at the image I just posted. It explains why. Look specifically at "Minimum Reputation Count." You're currently in the negative, so you can't "hit" anyone.

Guys, drop it, cool down, etc. The reputation system isn't perfect, but if y'all act like adults, I think it can work just fine. I'm still interested in changing the language ("hit"ting people isn't cool either, but y'all only see that because I'm showing you a screenshot of an admin page). Currently, again, it's simply "Give Positive" or "Give Negative." It no longer says "agree" or "disagree." Note in the above image there are a lot of ways to gain reputation power and points - by posting frequently (though that's a slow process - 100 posts?), by being a long-time member of the board, by contributing a lot of good posts and having others give you positive points, etc.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

BTW, the dots next to your "Reputation" in the sidebar show how positive (green), negative (red), or neutral (grey) you are, while the number next to them shows your current power.

More dots = more reputation. I'm at +104, currently. But I've got 4,260 posts, too.

wow this is freaking awesome.

thanks for looking into this and offering a follow up solution.

Cheers

bridgestone j33r 460 V2 75 Stiff
HiBore Fairway 15 V2 75 Stiff
hybrid HiBore19 S300
bridgestone j33b 3-PW S300
Vokey 52 GP Vokey 58 LWyes sophia Putter 33Titleist v1x - bridgestone B330Home Course: Bethpage

I have only been on one forum other than this one and it is run by my wife. Nothing to do with golf. I am enjoying this forum, but I didn't understand about the "reputation points" either. I am glad to find out how they work.

I didn't know I could get "negative" reputation points or that I was being judged on the quality of my posts. I am not sure how I feel about that just yet. I realize that most forums need a method of weeding out bad actors, but I also like to think we all participate on here as equals.

I can't imagine saying something to someone else on this forum that could be construed as an attack or malicious. Golfers as a group have been the most courteous, friendly, inclusive sorts I have come across, so all this animosity between each other seems so out of place to me among men who share the common bond of loving the game.

If you truly love golf, you behave in a way that makes you the gentleman that golfers must be. Without the gentlemanly behaviour, ours would not be a sport that requires no referees. We call penalties on ourselves because it is the honorable thing to do. Our honor in posting correct scores, not using underhanded or devious distractions to affect our opponents, playing by the rules should permeate the rest of our lives as well.

I didn't mean to get on a soapbox, but this is important for all men who call themselves golfers. Honest disagreements are one thing, but personal attacks are quite another. Being new here, I almost decided not to post this as I think it may be presumptuous on my part, but I really like it here among all of you and want to have my say and, hopefully, help put this to rights.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

Golfers as a group have been the most courteous, friendly, inclusive sorts I have come across.

You clearly didn't play with the guys I just spent the weekend with. The swearing

, whining , accusations of cheating and all arround hekeling was out of control. I can't remember having more fun while playing so badly. Seriously though, you are right. There is no game better than golf for bridging gaps. Whether they are political, religious, age, gender, etc. One of the great things about this sport is that we are all different. This forum is no different. Opinions are part of life and if we all agreed what fun would that be.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I didn't know I could get "negative" reputation points or that I was being judged on the quality of my posts. I am not sure how I feel about that just yet.

Not that you asked, other than rhetorically, but let me volunteer how I feel about it.

If we can agree on the obvious -- that we are pretty much a judging society and that one of the cherished elements of our freedoms of thought and speech is to freely render judgements, then it should hardly be surprising to anyone that others would just as freely pass judgement on those opinions and expressions we freely offer. I swear, sometimes I think that is the very reason Al Gore invented the internet. The more relevant question within the context of this forum, it would seem to me is, what grand benefit(s) do we derive from constructing and implementing a mechanism that seeks to assign a numerical ranking to something as subjective, emotionally sensitive and potentially transitory (ask Ken Lay - oops too late!) as one's reputation. The question is not how the system works. The question is why is it even here and what value does it provide other than to allow the majority to assign the mark of Cane or give its collective stamp of approval? Who needs either one? Perhaps our moderator will share his rationale with us. But I will tell you this Erik. At the risk of speaking on behalf of others, I sense people get a little bit suspicious and nervous when you make statements like "... I may delete more. I don't want to delete more, so stop the petty stupid shit." I believe I have raised a not-so-rhetorical question as to the value and purpose of this rating system that is neither petty, stupid or 'shit'. Nor would I be quick to make such an assessment of someone else(s) posts. I would be concerned that my reputation (not to be confused with someone's numbers) might suffer. In the meantime, my reputation is a 12. But the thing I am proudest of is that I have steadfastly ignored that silly number ever since it was a two.
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

• Administrator
The more relevant question within the context of this forum, it would seem to me is, what grand benefit(s) do we derive from constructing and implementing a mechanism that seeks to assign a numerical ranking to something as subjective, emotionally sensitive and potentially transitory as one's reputation.

Because it helps new people to quickly understand who shares good opinions or has good advice and it rewards people for giving good advice and behaving (or, the corollary, punishes people for being jerks).

To be an "established member" (and have those privileges) you have to have a positive feedback rating. That's why.
But I will tell you this Erik. At the risk of speaking on behalf of others, I sense people get a little bit suspicious and nervous when you make statements like

Ah, but I was asked to delete them by the person who posted them. The person overstepped, felt bad, and wanted the posts removed. Since they were "petty stupid shit" that didn't add any value to the conversation, they were removed (along with replies that specifically addressed the petty stupid shit, so as to avoid punching holes in the space-time continuum).

In the meantime, my reputation is a 12. But the thing I am proudest of is that I have steadfastly ignored that silly number ever since it was a two.

Everyone starts off at 10, so I doubt you were ever a 2.

Note: This thread is 6483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!