IGNORED

new Burner irons

Note: This thread is 5283 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are the lofts bumped up even farther than all the other clubs or are the shafts longer?

People have a misconception about them. They aren't longer and delofted throughout. They changed the spacing between a lot of the clubs, more as you get longer. Like I said before the PW is 45* like any other PW. The 4-iron is a bit longer than as typical 4-iron.

They did this to give the irons more range. It makes sense really. Instead of making every club 10 yards longer they kept the shorter irons tighter and the longer irons looser in gaps between lofts. This allows your irons to cover more area and addresses the gap issue. Because people carry more wedges now this is important. This is what the pros have been doing for awhile now as well. The way they built this set will be copied from here on out.

After one round and 3 trips to the range...I'm still dialing the distances in. I'd say I have about average power for my hcap and hit the 7i about 180. My worst results this past weekend were on the shorter irons and overestimating their carry. I'd initially figured whatever I hit my old PingEye2 reds...club down 2 and go from there. Worked ok on the longer irons but that formula got less accurate with the 8 iron and inside. I think I'm liking the way the clubs are closer together on the shorter irons. The way I like to manage the course is by hitting approach shots between 100-160 yds anyway. It's a bit of a pain to re-learn distances but I'm hitting these irons very pure and it's going to be worth it.

OK do you work for Taylor Made? J/K... You are making me very interested in these but I am thinking of waiting for a price drop. I have the cash but I dont know if it is the right thing for me right now. Unless somebody wants to buy my Ping Zing 2's for $400 lol. Plus keep updating us on how the clubs are as you play with them I would love to hear how they work after you figure out the distance.
What's in the Bag

Driver: Burner 09 9.5* S-Flex
3 Wood: Burner 09 15* S-Flex
Hybrid: r7 Rescue 19* R-FlexDriving Iron: 12*Irons PW-3: Ping Zing 2 SW: Pro Series X-14 56*Putter: G5i ALLY 35"Ball: Tour Fire

i dont think the loft is stronger, i upgraded to these irons and instantly noticed that every club hits 15 or so farther with a pure shot, its quite nice, took a while to adjust though, ive never hit a 6 iron so far in my life... i actually got the set adjusted so i only have 5-aw... who needs a 4 iron when the 5 fits perfectly after a 4 hybrid

In my Callaway stand bag:
R5 10.5*
4 Hybrid 22*
Burner 09 Irons 5-AW
Z groove 54* Z groove 58* 2 ball putter Pro-V1

Sort of. People have a misconception about these clubs. Every club is longer and delofted. The PW is 45* like any other PW. But the long irons are a bit longer. They have a little more distance between clubs than most sets so some clubs are longer.

I may have an old chart but I just googled "golf club lofts" and it shows a 9 iron is 45 to 48 degrees..?...guess it could be an old chart.

absolutely do not work for TM. I was mainly looking for feedback from others who may have recently purchased these irons and have been re-dialing their distances in as well. I've had a lot of different irons since I started playing. Bought my first TM club last year...Burner 10.5 draw driver...liked it..so I bought a used 4H and liked it alot. 3, and 5 hybrids came soon after...that's where the burner irons came into consideration... demo'd then a couple of times, then when I had my fitting with the adjustable 6i...my swing clicked. Like the above poster...I'm not carrying the 4i...went 5-AW with my hybrids and new fairway woods and I think I have all the distances covered. Hopefully playing twice this weekend and will see what happens. Need to learn how to putt better

I checked the lofts of the new TM irons to my 8 year old Callaway x-14 pro series. Here's what I found:

tm 3i 19 x-14 21
4i 21 23.5
5i 24 26
6i 27 29
7i 31 33
8i 35 37.5
9i 40 42
pw 45 46.5
aw 50 52

Don't know how they compare to newer Callaways?
Plus wouldn't the increase in shaft length make the ball flight go higher. I've always thought the longer the shaft the higher ball flight due to shallower angle of attack...don't know if that is true or not??

I have these irons. they are so nice if you hit them well they give you a great outcome. they are not very forgiving though. i also tend to hit these 20 yards further than i want.
In my bag:
Driver: Burner
Irons: R7's
Hybrid: Burner
Wedge: CG14 Putter: white hot

The guys at my home course are loving them.

A fella I work with, probably 56 years old, replaced his Adams hybrid/iron set with a set of these Burners. He said it rolled back a few years for his golf game. He is highly pleased.

For the record he absolutely flushes his TM R7 driver...the guy hits a solid ball.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I may have an old chart but I just googled "golf club lofts" and it shows a 9 iron is 45 to 48 degrees..?...guess it could be an old chart.

That must be old! Nearly every PW I've seen is 45 or 46 degrees. Maybe I'm wrong though! Wouldn't be the first time!

Look out all you Burner fans...I had my 9 year old x-14's lofts increased to 1 degree stronger than the burners. Added an extra wedge and left the 3 iron out alltogether. The first round I played with them I hit a 7 iron over a green that I struggled with reaching with a 6 iron just 2 days before. I also hit two 4 iron shots on a par 5 (490 yds) and I was pin high.)...Plus, I'm not gonna tell my friends that my lofts are bumped up!!!....I'll just tell'em I'm on steroids!!!!lol
p.s. I'm 5 foot 6 inches tall and I also had the lie on all clubs put 2 degrees flat....the club doesn't even feen the same going thru the ball...wish I'd done this 20 years ago!!!...it's really moved the ball from dead left to straight!!!

• 2 months later...
I'm just getting back into the game, so take this for what it's worth, but...

I'm getting fitted for a new set of irons, and my instructor suggested three iron sets he thought would best suit me--'09 TM Burners, Ping I-15s, and Mizuno MX-300s.

I took a 6-iron of each and went to the range yesterday. Hit 30 shots with each, alternating 10 10 and 10. I kept a notebook by my bucket and recorded every shot.

Based on what I've read/heard, I expected to prefer the Mizunos--being forged and all--but the results said I hit the Burner the best, based on accuracy/trajectory. The difference in distance was negligible enough not to matter. Maybe the Burner was a little longer, but length is not my problem, accuracy is.

Of course, I haven't hit enough golf clubs to say, but it would make sense to me if people preferred the Mizunos and they're just too tough for me to hit right now. The Ping was fine but didn't make an incredible impression one way or the other.

I'm still thinking about buying the Ping I-5s, though, because I'm pretty sure they're good irons and the discounted price is a huge incentive for me. From what I understand, you can't get the other brands' older clubs custom-fitted like you can with Ping, and I absolutely have to get custom clubs.

In my Grom:

Launcher 9.0 and 3W. Fujikura Hit-on-M Red X-Stiff
'09 Burners 3-AW. KBS +1" Stiff. 1x hard-stepped
A7 2H. UST ProForce Axiv Stiff 56.08 SW Stainless. G5i Putter. TP Burner LDP or Bridgestone e6+.

Look out all you Burner fans...I had my 9 year old x-14's lofts increased to 1 degree stronger than the burners. Added an extra wedge and left the 3 iron out alltogether. The first round I played with them I hit a 7 iron over a green that I struggled with reaching with a 6 iron just 2 days before. I also hit two 4 iron shots on a par 5 (490 yds) and I was pin high.)...Plus, I'm not gonna tell my friends that my lofts are bumped up!!!....I'll just tell'em I'm on steroids!!!!lol

i doubt you hit your 4 iron 245 or more.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

Note: This thread is 5283 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!