IGNORED

Has anyone ever hit a ball back?

mhodar13
Note: This thread is 5114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The first time someone hits into me, I wave at them.

If they don't mind me waving and hit into me again, I yell at them.

If they don't mind me yelling and hit into me again, I draw a penis on their ball with a sharpie.

If they don't mind me drawing a penis on their ball with a sharpie, I let them play through.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a ball hit back at me. Was messing around with some buddies on this crappy par 3 course, I'd duffed my tee shot and one of my mates was up by the green as I was hitting my second in, he stepped out as it was bouncing up toward the green and just whacked it back over my head (there was nobody waiting on the tee box). I was kinda mad at the time but it's funny now, it was actually pretty impressive because it was still bouncing as he hit it and he caught it flush.

no offense to the OP.... but my first concern in hitting a ball back at someone is whether or not i can make solid contact. I can't imagine a stupider looking person on a golf course than someone teeing up backwards to "teach someone a lesson" and then duff a shot. Worse yet... banana slice it close to someone else!

If you're really fed up... instead of all the above.... I'd just play their ball. Maybe just for the hell of it, hit a couple good wedge shots to shred it up nicely. so if they ask for it back you can give them their [now] crappy looking ball back.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

If its a good ball, id pick it up and drop a junk ball, ive usually got a few of those in my bag. I play by myself a lot so its not often I get someone catch me from behind. You wouldnt be stealing, only making a trade. But you would have to determine if they meant to do it, like if they already did it once and apparently didnt care if they hit you or not. I like the one persons idea of throwing it in the water, chucking it in the woods is another good one. Its not like if you hit it back at them that you would hit them anyway, or at least im sure i wouldnt be able to, probably end up slicing it and almost hitting someone else.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

Two wrongs do not make a right. I'm pretty rebellious when it comes to rules and what not, however, looking from the outside perspective, I can just see many problems that would rise if you were to hit the ball back.

My suggestion would be to suppress the anger at the very moment that the ball comes up to you but you should say something to the group behind you on the next tee box.

Pros:
You would definitely send a message to the group to not hit into you.
You would probably feel instant gratifiction and feel like a bad azz.

Cons:
You could possibly start a physical fight.
They might seek revenge by taking your ball or hitting it somewhere else.
You are taking the low road.
They might report you back to the pro shop.
It's late and I cant think any more reasons but I'm sure there are a lot.

Basically, it's probably not the best solution to hit the ball back.

My Clubs:

Driver: Nike SQ Sumo 460 10.5 degrees

3-Wood: Titleist 906 F4 15.5 DegreesIrons: Interchange between Hogan Apex Plus 3-PW stiff flex steel, and Cleveland CG Red Tour Spec 3-PW with stiff flex S300's.Wedges: CG 12's 56 degree and 52 degree, Cleveland BeNi 60 degree, and MacGregor MT Pro...

Hitting it all the way back is just stupid, but hitting it back with a shorter iron, a punch shot even, would work. Just so much that he has to hit a new ball and pick up that one. You demonstrate that you are pissed off by how they are hitting it close to you, but don't steal anything or risk hurting someone.

It's common etiquette to wait until the group ahead are well out of range for your shot. You may not carry a driver to where they are, but it's not fun to see a ball come rolling towards you when trying to make your next shot.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Be civil and just call the clubhouse for a ranger.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Taking the ball is stealing. I wouldn't do that.

I agree with you on the other parts of your post, but this one got me.

It really depends on the situation when I take someone's golf ball or even touch it. If they drive into me once, it's PROBABLY an honest mistake, not knowing the course, and then I just politely tell them they almost him me next time they are close to me, but I don't touch their ball. 2+ times it comes close to hitting me/hits me then I touch their ball and throw it into the woods or just keep it for myself if it's a nice ball. I don't consider it stealing, they are endangering my life. Sadly, my one friend has gotten hit twice before...by two different people at two different times. But, fortunately, the first time it barely grazed the top of his head/hair, and he was fine. It was with a drive too as we were coming off a 280 yard short par 4... Second time we were playing in a match for our H.S. golf team. The opposing coach playing behind the last group of the match hit a 5 iron into a par 4 green just as we were coming off. The kid was putting his club back into his back, and it hit him in the back. He is a pretty tough kid and even it hurt him a pretty good amount. He played terrible the rest of the round. The pathetic thing was, the coach NEVER apologized and never really seemed to care. In those situations I take their ball, otherwise I don't touch it... But stealing never really came across my mind considering they are endangering your own life.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I'll agree with you there CG031. If they hit you or are close to, without even yelling fore, taking or throwing the ball is justified. Safety first also applies to the golf course. People have gotten seriously injured for life from being hit by a golf ball.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Okay so me and my dad go golfing 1 to 3 times a week.

The very first thing that came to my mind when reading this was "How slow does this guy play". I mean, c'mon, if you're getting hit into "

Almost every time we're out " there must be some reason.. I don't think I've been intentionally hit into in many years, and I play many, many rounds. There must be a reason there's a target on you.* Answer honestly now...
  • Does this happen mostly on the later holes in the round?
  • How many practice swings are you/your partners taking?
  • Ready golf?
  • Are you keeping up with the group in front of you?
  • Do you let faster groups through?
* I'm not saying anyone ever deserves to get hit into. EVER. I'm just trying to figure out why it's happening to the OP on such an amazingly consistent basis. Think about it, when was the last time someone intentionally hit into you? What was the reason you felt like hitting into someone?

I just stare at them for afar so they know they have done something wrong, then they may put their hand up and say sorry so that's fine. I was playing once though at this rubbish course and some low handicap junior hit it round a dogleg uphill and he knew we were there and it flew right past me. he didnt see but i just kicked his ball 20 yards under a tree
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

I can't even remember the last time I was hit into by accident, let alone more than once. If it did happen, the second time the ball would end up in the woods, water, or weeds.

Be civil and just call the clubhouse for a ranger.

This is the right answer. BTW.....if it's happening that often, I'd also suggest that the OP review their own pace of play.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Pocket the ball.

If it was a blind tee shot, I like to tee the player's ball up high on a nice white tee.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

If it is close enough I usually just stomp the ball all the way into the ground. This is especially fun here in AZ as the fairways are hard enough let alone trying to pry your golf ball out of a dry hole.

I have done this also. Avoiding confrontations with people carrying 14 weapons is a good idea.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

this has happened to me a few times.. if its a good ball like a prov1 ill keep it, if its shitty ill stomp it into the ground, run over it with the cart a few times, or if im by water ill toss it in there , and make sure they see it haha

i wouldnt hit it back cause it would be my luck to hit somebody in the face or something and get sued

In My 2007 ogio.gif Edge Bag:
taylormade.gif07 Burner 9.5* S Driver
taylormade.gif08 Burner 3 wood
taylormade.gifRAC OS Irons 4-PW
vokey.gif56* Wedge taylormade.gifrac 60* satin wedgeodyssey.gifWhite Hot Tour #1Started playing January 2009, best round thus far: 82

If it was a blind tee shot, I like to tee the player's ball up high on a nice white tee.

That's is a great answer, it gives the person a warning in a non confrontational way. If it happens more than once than some of the other methods are appropriate except for taking the ball if it is a ball you want. That is stealing.

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

ooh that's a great I'm definitely gonna try that technique next time lol. I'll use the end of my club to bury it so deep they can't get it out. Lol hopefully next time it's a pro v1.

We did that to my friend one time:he hit into us on a dogleg and we stomped his ball all the way into the ground and put a divot ontop of it. It was FUNNY to see him looking in the middle of the fairway everywhere but not finding his ball. After trying to convince him that it went in the hazard we told him where it was tho. Im sure it would leave an impression on the group behind you.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

Note: This thread is 5114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!