IGNORED

Has anyone ever hit a ball back?

mhodar13
Note: This thread is 5087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I need to suggest against hitting it back. While it may feel good, if you hit him, you could be charged with something. Self defense doesn't apply when an active offense isn't happening: unless he's hitting a bucket at you, he isn't still attacking you.

Furthermore, playing the wrong ball, or hitting a full-swing practice shot during a round, is a penalty (2 strokes, I believe). And you don't need some jerk in another foursome raising your score - we have our own random playing partners for that!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't hit it back at them. Makes you look worse. Just wait for them to finish the hole and have then play through. It sucks more to have to worry about them being behind you the rest of the round. And while it is pretty inconsiderate I find it is never intentional, you can always call the club house if someone is a real jerk.

I was 100 yards out hitting my approach shot on a shorter par 4 when, for the third hole in a row a tee shot lands right behind me and rolls past my cart. After hitting my shot onto the green, I casually walked over and knocked the jackasses ball onto the green as well. It was a nice shot too, landed about 10 feet from the pin but spun back onto the fringe. I never got hit into again!

This was on a Sunday and the course was very busy, so it was expected to have a short wait on each tee box. However, the foursome behind me was extremely impatient and there was no reason to let them play through. I couldn't think of a good reason for them to hit into us, but I'm sure he appreciated the help I gave him on that par 4.
Driver: ZL 10.5⁰
Fairway: Burner 15⁰/19⁰
Irons: MP-67
Wedges: 1018 52⁰/56⁰/60⁰
Putter: Byron Morgan 007xBall: Pro V1x

Ya I don't think I'll ever hit one back cuz I'll probably hit my only bad drive then, or crush it and end up killing them. Hopefully Next time it occurs right by the cart path or a big rock and they can't see me. Then I'll take their ball, grind it to high hell on the cart path or the rock, and then place it right back where it was and keep on playing like nothing happened. I actually had another ass today that was on the next hole over. He hit his ball off the fairway. Well, he toed it and I could fell it brush through my hair, barely missed me. Of course, no warning and not even an apology afterwards. I decided to let it go though because I just wanted to focus on golfing and we wouldn't see them again after that anyway. They did make sure to drive their cart the long way around to their ball to make sure they avoid us lol. I gave them a blank stare and they were super careful to drive way around us and wait till we were gone to get out of the cart. I mean, I can understand if they didn't have time to yell fore, because they were right there. But they didn't even have the decency to apologize afterwards. I would have went nuts if it hit me though.

In my White/Red/Yellow Monza Featherweight Stand Bag:
Driver: 07 Burner 9.5* stiff
3 Wood: 07 Burner 15* stiff
5 Wood: 07 Burner 18* stiff
Irons 4-AW: r7 steel shaft stiffWedges: RAC Satin 56*, 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 35 InchBall: Bridgestone e7+, Titleist Pro V1Shoes: D3000Glove: ...

Never know what kind of person just hit into you;

5 iron > switchblade

Driver: Nakashima HTEC 440cc 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Fubuki X73
3 Wood: 909F3 15* w/Fujikura Pro-95 X-Stiff
Hybrid: Nakashima 2 iron 19* w/ KBS Tour shaft 6.5
Irons 3-PW: 690.MB w/ KBS Tour Shafts 6.5
Wedges: Black Nickel Spin Milled 56.11* & 60.04* w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel Wedge ShaftsPutter: Pro...

Okay so me and my dad go golfing 1 to 3 times a week. Almost every time we're out (or anytime I golf with anyone else, for that matter), some a$$h*le decides to drive when I'm hitting my 2nd shot. I've already had 2 come within 2 feet of me in the past month, and of course, nobody yells fore. So, my question is, next time this happens, where they drive, clearly see me, and don't yell fore, should I tee the ball up and hit it back at them? I'm really getting tired of this to be honest. Anyone ever do this before?

I've done it once.

I was about 15 years old waiting for a par 5 to clear for my 2nd shot. Guys behind us were not pleased we were waiting and decided to hit into us for the 4th time in the day. Their ball landed literally 3 feet from me, no "fore" or anything. I proceeded to tee up the ball, pull the driver out, and beat the living pi$$ out of it on a b-line straight at them. Ended up rolling right through their group on the tee box 275 out straight up hill. To this day, probably the best drive I've ever hit. Waited for them at the turn and ripped into them like a rabid maniac. They looked at me like I was crazy....going after a group of 20 somethings at only 15 years old. Probably not the smartest thing in the world to do, but I was a bit of a hot head back then and had more testosterone than brains.
Driver: Nakashima HTEC 440cc 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Fubuki X73
3 Wood: 909F3 15* w/Fujikura Pro-95 X-Stiff
Hybrid: Nakashima 2 iron 19* w/ KBS Tour shaft 6.5
Irons 3-PW: 690.MB w/ KBS Tour Shafts 6.5
Wedges: Black Nickel Spin Milled 56.11* & 60.04* w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel Wedge ShaftsPutter: Pro...

Never hit it back! What if you can't hit the ball as far as he can, and end up woefully short, then you look like a jackass. LOL

If you feel the need to do something to his ball, just knock into the rough or a trap.

Usually a long glance back gets the message across.

Just set the ball on a tee in that spot, theyll understand they made a mistake
Driver 983k 9.5°
3 Wood 906f2 15°
5 wood 906f2 18°
Irons 735 3-pw S300, Golf Pride Tour Velvet cord
Wedges Spin Milled 53°, Spin Milled 59°Putter Studio Select Newport 2Goals for '10:1. Get down to scratch or better

I've never hit one back but like others have said here, it would feel great to smack one back to the tee box!!

If I'm a long way out and someone just happens to catch it perfect and the wind is in their favour, as long as I get the "FORE" and a raising of the arm in appology, I'm ok with a one-time occurence. However, if it happened a second time I would take the opportunity by the next hole to ask them to wait a couple minutes before tee-ing off. If the ball is barely rolling up to me, as long as its not distracting I'm ok with it...but if its first bouncing anywhere near me, I'd probably have a word with the hitter.

Playing with a short-fused, short-hitting friend of mine, the group behind us (who were drinking and being idiotic) hit two balls over my playing partners head as he was playing his second shot. The second one was hit despite us questioning (through polite gestures) why they even hit the first one. The second of these two balls happened to land during my friends downswing so he throws his wood down the fairway towards the trees he sliced his ball towards. He drops a few f-bombs and then smacks both fairway-centred balls out-of-bounds....and we kept walking. The boys behind us made sure they kept some distance between us.

In my bag..

Driver: Mighty Big T3, 8°, Grafalloy Prolite 35
Fairway Wood: PT, 13°
Fairway Wood: Seville 15° (in my bag since 1987)Irons: T-Zoid Pro, 3-PWSW: MP-9, 56°LW: Tour Star, 64°Putter: Allied Professional (in my bag since 1989)Ball: ProV1xShoes:

Never hit it back!

That's not the case. If it lands short of where I'm standing for my second shot, than I'll get it there or farther. I hit my good shots anywhere from 260-290 and If I'm lying 290 and they drive into me then I won't hit it cuz I don't hit 290 every time. So in that case I'd bury it. I probably won't ever hit it back since that could kill someone easily. if it happens I'll just bury it in the ground and keep playing.

In my White/Red/Yellow Monza Featherweight Stand Bag:
Driver: 07 Burner 9.5* stiff
3 Wood: 07 Burner 15* stiff
5 Wood: 07 Burner 18* stiff
Irons 4-AW: r7 steel shaft stiffWedges: RAC Satin 56*, 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 35 InchBall: Bridgestone e7+, Titleist Pro V1Shoes: D3000Glove: ...

guys hit into us twice when I was about 20. The second time I made a big show of standing over their ball and pouring my water bottle on their ball with my back to them. From their angle it looked like I took a piss on their ball. The ball was still there when we came back on a parralel fairway a few holes later (;
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Never hit a ball back, but have wedged one into a nearby water hazard on a couple of occasions.
In the bag...

G10 9° Driver
G10 17° 4 Wood
G10 21° Hybrid i15 4-PW Tour-W Wedges 50/12 & 56/10 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Balls - Bridgestone B330-RX

Okay so me and my dad go golfing 1 to 3 times a week. Almost every time we're out (or anytime I golf with anyone else, for that matter), some a$$h*le decides to drive when I'm hitting my 2nd shot. I've already had 2 come within 2 feet of me in the past month, and of course, nobody yells fore. So, my question is, next time this happens, where they drive, clearly see me, and don't yell fore, should I tee the ball up and hit it back at them? I'm really getting tired of this to be honest. Anyone ever do this before?

No don't buzz their tower!!!

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

guys hit into us twice when I was about 20. The second time I made a big show of standing over their ball and pouring my water bottle on their ball with my back to them. From their angle it looked like I took a piss on their ball. The ball was still there when we came back on a parralel fairway a few holes later (;

Now that's a classic..... Mhodar13 take a page from 2bGood's book!!

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

I love this one.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Here's what you do.

1) take a swing with a wedge as to take a dollar bill sized, but rather thick divot.

2) place ball in divot.

3) cover ball with removed soil from wedge shot.

4) "Where'd mah ball go!?!?!"

Once on a par three my group was getting into our carts and a ball bounced right off the top. This was on hole #2, and they hit into us on the opening par 5, while we were waiting for the group ahead.
After putting my putter and wedge away I started walking up the hill in their direction and they just took off. I still have no idea where they went, there is nothing but cherry orchards around that course.
When I saw them grabbing their bags and taking off I stopped and turned around, and there is my brother in law right behind me, still holding his putter, except now it looks like a weapon. I'm 6'4"-6'5" and bench alot more than I weigh... and he makes me look tiny. I was just going to talk to them, honestly... I feel kinda bad being taken for a violent person...

We still laugh about that everytime we play that hole, how it must have looked, even though it was years ago. Still can't imagine where they went....

Note: This thread is 5087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!