IGNORED

Why, John Daly, why?

jldavis73
Note: This thread is 5237 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What he said.

As it turns out, Daly got in as ninth alternate precisely because there were last-second withdrawals literally a few hours before the first group teed off Thursday. Not exactly the same as withdrawing mid-round, but this story shows how tenuous it was for him to have gotten in as an alternate, and how it's possible a listed alternate might not actually play if the withdrawal occurs too late.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
As it turns out, Daly got in as ninth alternate precisely because there were last-second withdrawals literally a few hours before the first group teed off Thursday. Not exactly the same as withdrawing mid-round, but this story shows how tenuous it was for him to have gotten in as an alternate, and how it's possible a listed alternate might not actually play if the withdrawal occurs too late.

Yes, I know. And the odds of someone not being around when they're on the alternate's list is slim - what else have they got going on that week that's even close to the possibility of getting into a major? It's not like they're weighing their options: "Hmmm, work on my game at home or work on my game at the range at a major I might get into... or maybe go to Chuck E. Cheese with my kids - which can wait until Thursday night if I don't get into the field..."

Alternates have gotten into the field after the morning wave has teed off - someone in the afternoon WDs and I've heard stories of an alternate having 30 minutes to hit some balls and get to the first tee. I've also heard of alternates sticking around until the last group tees off, just in case . If you're an alternate, you're at the tournament site. It's a major...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What has he gotten away with? I've read he's been working hard to get his game back. He's lost 80 lbs in 4 months...he's tried to get into shape.

He should not have let his game or his body get that bad in the first place. But I will give him some kudos for losing the 80 pounds through diet and exercise. I didn't think he had the dedication or discipline to... Wait, how did he lose that weight again?

But I think some of you are real hard on the guy AT TIMES...I come on here and I feel like he just killed someone or something and he's gotten "2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th chances" from it...

Yeah, by the ignorant masses. Mainly the types that shout, "Get in the hole!" every chance they get but also by the ignorant fans on the message boards too. He life is a train wreck. Scratch that, a series of train wrecks on and off the course. He is a scum bag to the nth degree but people keep cutting him slack. Best of all, he has no one to blame but himself.

But no, lets give him credit for beating his addictions so many times. Not that many people can quit alcohol over and over again like he does. Wait, you can only quit something once? If you go back to it then you never quit in the first place? Huh? Scum bag. Bad for golf. Anyone that supports him is just a sheep and probably moves their lips when the read and listens to Nickleback.

He should not have let his game or his body get that bad in the first place. But I will give him some kudos for losing the 80 pounds through diet and exercise. I didn't think he had the dedication or discipline to... Wait, how did he lose that weight again?

so youre a daly fan then?

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

I feel like you less the scumbag comments. His life is a train wreck for sure but one thing I still like about JD is that he has a good heart. I really do think he's the kind of guy that would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. Other than that he really needs to get it together and cut the excuses he uses to explain HIS mistakes.

By the way I'm 44 and like Nickleback myself. Whats the problem with that. If I were him I'd keep drinking and hire myself a babysitter to keep me out of trouble.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

Damn...JD finishes T23 at THE BRITISH OPEN, has a few bad rounds, and everyone wants to hang the guy....damn!

He said his back is hurting and apologized for taking a spot in the PGA Champ.

By the way he has a lifetime exemption that he earned whether you like it or not, so he wasn't "taking" a spot.

Sincerely.
Gary Player

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

So basically what I'm getting is the only people that like Daly is your typical hacker, who knows nothing about golf?

You're pretty funny! Appreciate the comedy!

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

So basically what I'm getting is the only people that like Daly is your typical hacker, who knows nothing about golf?

Yes, now you are getting it. That is EXACTLY what I said. Verbatim. No, wait... Where the hell did I say that? Should I use smaller words so you can figure it out?

Damn...JD finishes T23 at THE BRITISH OPEN, has a few bad rounds, and everyone wants to hang the guy....damn!

It's not bad play. Every player goes through that, even Tiger. The problem is the pattern that Daly has established. How many times have we seen him play well for a tournament or two, and then he'll QUIT on the course. I don't know his motivation for acting like a child, but this is certain: he knows that no matter what he does or how he acts on the golf course, all he has to do is come out with a story and it's "poor John..." I just watched the golf channel interview after he withdrew, and it's important to note even though he repeatedly says "I'm hurt" he talks about playing in 2 more events this coming week. This situation is sad because he has more talent than anyone. Tiger has stated that John Daly is the most talented golfer he knows. But John tantalizes us with that promise, and then finds a reason that we should forgive his actions. He has duped us all.

I realize many of you all are young. Having said that, JD has done things half assed for years and years. JD just need's to cut the BS and get it together. Personally I hope he does because he's a likable person when he has it together. Thats not been very often though!

I have a good friend like JD in some ways and his problem is he can't see the forest for the tree's. In other words he just doesn't see what needs to be done when others see it perfectly. Like JD he always has an excuse as to why thing's aren't working out like he think's they should.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

Good points...I tend to still like the guy. I don't understand him sometimes but still like him.

One thing I will say is that John Daly has always been an extremely fast player, we all know this. The fact that his fast play seems to make him look careless seems to affect people's judgement of him, more so when he doesn't play well. He's obviously got some demons but I don't think you do all that traveling and make all that effort if you don't care. The guy is a strange bird but to me, a breath of fresh air sometimes.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

You had me laughing......hard.....until the Nickleback statement. I like some of their stuff.....ouch.

Daly is an addict.....why do we expect more from him.....until he accepts his demons and focusses on beating them we'll get no different. It is so very sad.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I watched an interview with his teacher Rick Smith the other day. He said that losing all that weight has messed with his muscle memory.

I'm not agreeing with his behavior at all. Especially when he putted a moving ball at Pinehurst #2 in the US Open.

He has so much talent. When he won the Buick at Torrey about 3 years ago I figured he's back. That bunker shot on 18 in the fourth round was beautiful. Obviously though he was not back.

Today he said he was not hitting it well in the practice rounds. I also think he should have withdrawn before the tournament began.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

• 3 months later...
sigh... I still love Daly.

his top 10 headlines came on again and made me think of it.

Like was said before, I feel like John would give you the shirt off his back... and then take you to play golf haha. It's hard to say a multiple major winner "pissed his talent away," but there's no questioning he should have done more.

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

Note: This thread is 5237 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!