Sign in to follow this  
VardonFlyer

Tiger not a gentlemen?

Note: This thread is 3713 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

32 posts / 13239 viewsLast Reply

Did anyone else notice how Tiger did not let Yang have the last put on the 18th? assuming tiger makes* (which he didnt...) Yang would have had to three put from 6 feet, unlikely. Numerous times including just last week players have opted to play out of turn to give Tiger the last past. Its often common courtesy on tour. This was the case last weekend when Harrington played out of turn to give tiger the last put and ultimately the win. I was a little disappointed to see tiger insist of having the last shot. Anyone else notice this?

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I noticed it but didn't think there was a problem. Once tiger chipped onto the green Y.E had been waiting a long time and was probably pleased to get his final put out of the way. Tiger has won and lost many times before without such insinuations.

I kind of agree with you.
Yang's putt wasn't guaranteed, and maybe he would have marked it if he'd missed, but it would have been nice of Tiger to have putted out first - I mean - he would have to have made his and Yang 3 putt from 10 feet.
But.....I guess that Tiger was remembering Yang's first putt on 17 and thought that it wasn't quite over.
But yes....I thought it would have been a nice gesture.

Did Tiger make him hit it first or did Yang just decide to putt anyway? I couldn't really tell from the replay but it looked like after Tiger missed the chip Yang just started getting ready to hit his putt like it was any other.

I remember Geoff Ogilvy doing the same thing early in the year, just walking up and draining the putt for the win instead of waiting for his opponent to finish and having the "moment" to himself. I know it's not the same as a major victory but Yang seems like the kind of laid back guy who wouldn't make a big fuss about something like that.

I actually found it quite amusing to see Tiger have to finish up by himself and chew on second while Yang was able to celebrate his win.

I couldn't really tell from the replay but it looked like after Tiger missed the chip Yang just started getting ready to hit his putt like it was any other.

this. I liken it to a second baseman hitting a homerun. They're not used to it so they dont really get the trot in... the run as fast as they can to second realize it's gone then keep it steady coming in.

Yang just walked up and putted after tiger missed, didnt seem like he even thought to let tiger put out.

Tiger is a class act. He's overscrutinized but that's only due to how freaking good he is. I'm no Tiger homer but I'll be the first to get behind him being a quality person and a class act. Along with 99% of other professional golfers

Come on. How can you take one incident and say he's not a gentlemen? He spent all of last week lobbying for Paddy and the time clock issue.

I thought I saw some communication between Yang and Tiger. There was some kind of agreement there. I think it's a non issue. It certainly didn't bother Yang.

Tiger is a class act. He's overscrutinized but that's only due to how freaking good he is. I'm no Tiger homer but I'll be the first to get behind him being a quality person and a class act. Along with 99% of other professional golfers

I 100% agree. Tiger is extremely competitive, but I have not yet seen him being impolite or diminishing anybody else's achievement.

Did anyone else notice how Tiger did not let Yang have the last put on the 18th? assuming tiger makes* (which he didnt...) Yang would have had to three put from 6 feet, unlikely. Numerous times including just last week players have opted to play out of turn to give Tiger the last past. Its often common courtesy on tour. This was the case last weekend when Harrington played out of turn to give tiger the last put and ultimately the win. I was a little disappointed to see tiger insist of having the last shot. Anyone else notice this?

I don't think it's a common courtesy thing as far as whoever is winning. I think he just does it because he knows the crowd is going to roar like crazy after he does anything. It's not really fair to make your partner putt during that kind of noise.

I 100% agree. Tiger is extremely competitive, but I have not yet seen him being impolite or diminishing anybody else's achievement.

I read in one article bashing him that he didn't shake Yangs hand after the match and he left the press conference really early. Is that true?

I think it was Y.E.'s decision. He immediately started getting his ball ready once Tiger hit his chip. I think everyone should give Tiger a break. He doesn't seem any different than any of the guys I play with...other than being a lot better. I think it is ridiculous when an athlete gets picked apart just because he happens to get more air time than the other players.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I read in one article bashing him that he didn't shake Yangs hand after the match and he left the press conference really early. Is that true?

Totally false. He definitely shook his hand. Tiger said several things to him all though I don't think Yang understood a word. Either way he looked too excited to care what anyone said.

I'm not sure Yang ever shook Stevie's hand. Yang kind of took off to do the sump bag lift right after shaking Tiger's hand.

Y.E. definitely didn't give Tiger the chance to putt out. As soon as Tiger hit his shot, Y.E. started setting up. Also, as far as communication, they definitely didn't speak as Y.E. doesn't speak english. But Tiger removed his hat and shook Y.E.'s hand and his caddie, then shook his guy's hand, same thing he did last week after a win.

Very well said.

There is always someone trying to get something negative on Tiger, but they rarely succeeds.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Y.E. definitely didn't give Tiger the chance to putt out. As soon as Tiger hit his shot, Y.E. started setting up. Also, as far as communication, they definitely didn't speak as Y.E. doesn't speak english. But Tiger removed his hat and shook Y.E.'s hand and his caddie, then shook his guy's hand, same thing he did last week after a win.

That's good to know. It didn't strike me as something he would do, but I wasn't really paying attention at the end to remember it. I know a lot of people that hate him simply because of the color of his skin, but he's never given me a reason to not like him. So I'll keep on.

I think you are right but did see YE say "thank you" while they were shaking hands. That's probably the extent of his English but the point was, that's how I remember them shaking hands. And it sure seemed like Tiger was doing his best to be a good sport which I have no doubt he is.

Note: This thread is 3713 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!