IGNORED

Need advice on Irons

Note: This thread is 5353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have just returned to golf after a five year layoff. I used to be able to break 80 pretty regularly. My first three rounds have been 82,82 and 82. It has been fun because I've been able to start from scratch and quickly change my swing to get pretty good results. I'm back to getting 150 from a 8 Iron, 240 off the tee with a 3 wood. I just recently tried a driver at the practice range, so I'll see how that goes when I play this week.

I just bought some cheap clubs to see if I was going to enjoy it before spending a lot on good clubs. The irons are Mizuno cimarron Irons which are OLD investment cast clubs with Graphite shafts. I hit them WAYYY to high to play in west Texas winds. Any suggestions on clubs???

PrairieParson
From Lubbock, Texas: the Heart of Flyover Country.
Ping G-15 Driver 12 deg.
Mizuno MP-33 Irons
Ball: White, mostly round and lots of dimplesScores this year: 78

Wow, you and I are in the same boat. After not playing any golf for 5 years, I took it up again in the middle of June. Went from a 96 my first time out to breaking 80 consistently now. Unfortunately, it's the short game that seems to take the longest time to come around...my swing came back pretty quickly. As for ball flight, you're right about the shaft having more to do with it than the clubhead. The stiffer and heavier the shaft, the lower you'll hit it. Find irons that you like the look of and get them with steel shafts that err on the heavy side.

Cleveland Hibore XLS 8.5 degrees (stiff, red shaft)
Titleist 980F 15 degrees (stiff)
Adams a4 hybrid 19 degrees (stiff)
Ping i3 blades 3-PW (stiff, green dot)
Mizuno T-Series 53, 58Odyssey FG-7 2ballSun Mountain bag

i'm sort of in your boat- i had some hand me down clubs from my cousin- played about 8 times per year for abotu three years- then stopped playing.

now after a three year break i'm looking to get back into it and have no clue what to get.

i'm currently looking at some 2008 r7's right now.

So, are you just going out now and then to have fun with your buddies? Or do you want to practice and get good? How often do you intend to practice? Do you have a strong preference, manufacturer-wise?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Anything in the 400$ range would be good t start back.. especially it being mid august.. so I'd say R7's, X-18's around that nature would be ok

No suggestions....no idea what you like......but man what a comeback!!!!

I'd say you haven't missed a beat. Good luck in your search.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Nice going. Welcome back.

If your ball striking is consistent enough then you should definitely look for something in a 'players iron' just because they tend to have a slightly higher center of gravity and thus a little lower trajectory ball flight. I am personally a huge believer in Mizunos, but most manufacturer's make something that will work. As for shafts I think the TT Dynamic Gold shafts are probably the best choice as they are a little heavier and not tip soft. I had always struggled with a really high ball flight until I switched to my currently MP-60's with DG S300's.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Actually my putting is better than it ever has been. I have a $30 putter I picked up at Academy Sports that really helps get the right line. Actually its my irons that have been the most inconsistent, especially from 100 yds and less from the green. I practice once or twice a week. Like I said, I am still making changes and in fact just made a MAJOR CHANGE THIS WEEK. However, the results from the range were fantastic, so now I want to get GOOD. Like mid 70's from time to time, if I can. I've gotten at least one or two birdies every round but also my share of double and triple boggies because of really bad hits into water, etc.

PrairieParson
From Lubbock, Texas: the Heart of Flyover Country.
Ping G-15 Driver 12 deg.
Mizuno MP-33 Irons
Ball: White, mostly round and lots of dimplesScores this year: 78

Note: This thread is 5353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!