IGNORED

What's the problem with womens golf?

Duffy
Note: This thread is 5346 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The argument about LPGA golf not being "good enough" is bogus as well. Female tennis players don't hit as hard as the males, yet women's tennis is arguably MORE popular than men's tennis.

Exactly. I've read a few hundred excuses for why men don't watch LPGA golf. They're all bogus answers. This is a great counter, imo.

I'm not going further because I've already read so many wrong answers and the ability for most people here to comprehend a premise and form a functional argument that isn't oblivious to well researched facts about their behavior makes it a waste of time. It's nice to read someones opinion that sounds like they actually get it. And don't worry, the proletarians counter to you will be "I don't watch Tennis", which of course is irrelevant to the debate.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets be honest here. Men don't watch because it's women on the course. I enjoyed watching the Solhiem cup but don't watch many other womens events. It's a man thing and thats all there is to it!!

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

Lets be honest here. Men don't watch because it's women on the course. I enjoyed watching the Solhiem cup but don't watch many other womens events. It's a man thing and thats all there is to it!!

I never knew so many men were so worried about feeling inferior to a woman before. I'm a guy and I think that's sad.

I never knew so many men were so worried about feeling inferior to a woman before. I'm a guy and I think that's sad.

You're posts have been ignorant. Where in his post do you get the vibe that he doesn't want to be inferior. He said it's a mans sport, which it originally was.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

Exactly. I've read a few hundred excuses for why men don't watch LPGA golf. They're all bogus answers. This is a great counter, imo.

I watch less tennis than I did just a couple summers ago. The year Andre Agassi retired, the US Open featured some of the most incredible men's tennis I've ever seen. Andre v. Jason Blake was pure shot making at its finest. 5 sets of pure awesome. The final was even more amazing.

Anyone who's watched a Roger Federer (v.anybody, but especially Rafael Nadal) in the past few years has witnessed proably the greatest tennis player the world has ever seen. Roger versus Andy Roddick at Wimbledon this year and Roger v. Nadal in 2008 were so good that I get chills just thinking about those 5-set gems. The longest womens matches are at best 60% as long as the men's matches and 30% as exciting. Other than when a hottie matchup is on (you know what I mean) or the Williams sisters meet in a final I would just as soon skip women's tennis. Other than Serena's comback in Australia, there hasn't been a compelling female player since Henin and Clysters retired.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'm not going further because I've already read so many wrong answers and the ability for most people here to comprehend a premise and form a functional argument that isn't oblivious to well researched facts about their behavior makes it a waste of time.

Exactly. It's

100% a cultural pre-disposition. Men dominate the world so women have never been given a chance, nor will they. G entlemen O nly L adies F orbidden It's the same reason we'll never have a black president, right? Get real. and get off your cloud. PGA Tour (America): 1916 LPGA Tour:1950 Now you say, "See thats my point, it took society an extra 30+ years to...." and then I say, "But the question was - why isn't women's golf as popular now, you're assuming it never will be...." And we end up nowhere. People can watch whatever they want. You aren't right, and you're not wrong, but you are certainly no one to question the integrity of anyone else on this planet. Thats ignorance personified bud.

The bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 Limited (10.5*)
3-wood: Taylormade R7 st (15*)
5-wood: Titleist 909 F2(18.5*)Irons: Taylormade RAC TP MB; Project-X 6.0 (3-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 52.08 Vokey Spin-Milled 58.12Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 (33")Ball: Titleist ProV1

You're posts have been ignorant. Where in his post do you get the vibe that he doesn't want to be inferior. He said it's a mans sport, which it originally was.

He claimed that it's a man's sport and that men don't watch because there are women on the course. Now that's either A) sexist (i.e. the ONLY reason not to watch is because women are playing) or B) he feels it an attack on his manhood to watch women play better than him (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here and not assuming it's choice A).

He claimed that it's a man's sport and that men don't watch because there are women on the course. Now that's either A) sexist (i.e. the ONLY reason not to watch is because women are playing) or B) he feels it an attack on his manhood to watch women play better than him (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here and not assuming it's choice A).

Or, he believes golf is a mans sport, like it was originally intended to be.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

and why is it that golf should only be a man's sport? there must be a reason (besides history).

and why is it that golf should only be a man's sport? there must be a reason (besides history).

Is it because their aprons interfere with clearing their birthing hips?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

What year is it?

There's 3 women at my club that shoot mid 70s and probably beat 98% of the men that play there. I will take it one step further and say that if they moved back to the mens tees that would still probably beat 85% of the men. So with that being said since it's a "mans game" should those men all quit because they can't beat a woman?
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I'm suprised no one has said anything about them just not being that good. Sure, some have a bit of talent, but come on, they don't hit enough inspiring shots for me to want to watch them all the time. I'm more likely to watch a local scratch player than to turn on the tv looking for the lpga. They just don't hit good enough shots for me to care to watch.

My thoughts exactly. If someone like Ochoa/Wie can hit it 300+ why can't they compete on the PGA Tour. The fact is, it's not about length - they just simply are not as good as the men from 200 yards in, even playing in much easier conditions.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

My thoughts exactly. If someone like Ochoa/Wie can hit it 300+ why can't they compete on the PGA Tour. The fact is, it's not about length - they just simply are not as good as the men from 200 yards in, even playing in much easier conditions.

Because they don't hit it nearly as long as the guys on the PGA tour.

Average swing speed on lpga tour is 95mph. Lorena swings at 100mph. Michelle at 105. So Michelles average carry distance would be 235 yards with a driver which is a 3 iron for the long hitters on the pga tour. Average swing speed PGA tour is 113. Fastest swing speeds on tour are 135. Average carry distance for a 135 swing speed would be 315 yards. Trust me, Michelle and Lorena don't hit it nearly as far as advertised.

Golf is a game in which the ball always lies poorly and the player always lies well.

Where in my post did I say it was a mans sport? Where in my post did I say I didn't want women beating me or that I'm inferior.

I stated a fact.....like it or not. Men don't watch because it's women on the course. (Playing) I also said it's a man thing. Not it's a mans game!! I think it's great that women play the game!! I have no problem with women kicking my ass if they can. And I don't feel inferor if they do. More power to them. You read into my post what you wanted to. People like you can look from now till hell freezes over and the fact remains. Men like watching men play sports. Nothing more or nothing less. Doesn't make us feel inferor or dosen't make us pigs. I'm just saying what most men won't. Kris.....Don't feel so bad.......it's OK to be a man! PS.... It doesn't have anything to do with skill or swing speed. Women have that. And we (Men) know it dispite some of the coments here.

4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

.....The fact is, it's not about length - they just simply are not as good as the men from 200 yards in, even playing in much easier conditions.

Just look at the stats - women loose to men in almost every category, the best women average 1 stroke more than the men (none of the women has a scoring avg. below 70) and somewhere in the middle, women average 2 strokes more than men - and that is, despite playing in easier conditions than what the PGA tours sets up.

They dont make as many putts as men -> less birdies and eagles, despite the habit of being lined up for every putt and shot they make.... You ever see Steve lining up Tiger for a putt - EVER?
Men like watching men play sports. Nothing more or nothing less. Doesn't make us feel inferor or dosen't make us pigs. I'm just saying what most men won't.

Huh - where is the problem in saying that? Isnt that obv.? Every sport has its target audience, and womens golf´s main target audience for sure arent men, else there wouldnt be Style & Health tips on the LPGA website.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Just look at the stats - women loose to men in almost every category, the best women average 1 stroke more than the men (none of the women has a scoring avg. below 70) and somewhere in the middle, women average 2 strokes more than men - and that is, despite playing in easier conditions than what the PGA tours sets up.

This I never understood. I can understand a caddy helping a player pick out a line or clip of grass to putt over (Stevie and bones do it all the time) but where is the disconnect in many professional women's games where they then need the caddy behind them saying "A little right, a little more, perfect" and then moving out of the way for the swing.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

This I never understood. I can understand a caddy helping a player pick out a line or clip of grass to putt over (Stevie and bones do it all the time) but where is the disconnect in many professional women's games where they then need the caddy behind them saying "A little right, a little more, perfect" and then moving out of the way for the swing.

+1 and my only real beef with LPGA players.

4 wood..... Nickent 4DX

Perhaps women's minds work differently than mens? Us men tend to let our ego's get in the way and believe in doing things ourselves, independence, etc. It's how testosterone works. Men are introverted, solitary creatures geneally speaking, compared to women.

Women tend to like the "team" element of relationships. They go to the bathroom together for instance. They like to talk and work things out. In general women aren't as introverted as men. Has your wife/GF ever brought up she wants to feel like you 2 are a team? So, these are their tools. I'm not sure it's right to hold it against them for doing some differently. They're using their natural tools to their advantage and perhaps we could even learn something from them.

Note: This thread is 5346 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!