IGNORED

What's the problem with womens golf?

Duffy
Note: This thread is 5324 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I actually enjoy watching little league baseball and so do millions of others or it wouldn't be broadcast as it is. Let's talk a little about the comparisons that are being drawn here. One in particular is the WNBA vs. LPGA. The huge difference I pick up on immediately is this; Almost everyone on this blog and almost everyone that watches golf of any kind is a golfer. Most people that I know that are not golfers wouldn't waste 10 minutes watching golf on TV let alone going to a tourney.

Good observation. I doubt very many "non-golfers" enjoy watching golf. My mother will watch when I am watching a tournament at her home and she enjoys seeing great shots and good shots out of "sand pits", but she would never tune in otherwise.

I not only watch to see good play but I am always trying to learn something as well. The only golf I cannot watch is something out here called "Southern California Golf". I'm not sure who these people are but they are very good so there is not much to gain either as entertainment or learning about the game. SubPar

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually enjoy watching little league baseball and so do millions of others or it wouldn't be broadcast as it is. Let's talk a little about the comparisons that are being drawn here. One in particular is the WNBA vs. LPGA. The huge difference I pick up on immediately is this; Almost everyone on this blog and almost everyone that watches golf of any kind is a golfer. Most people that I know that are not golfers wouldn't waste 10 minutes watching golf on TV let alone going to a tourney. How many of us by comparison, men and women are basketball players or aspire to be? Sure there are the teens at the park and some adult pick up games around the country and I'm sure that most all of those folks watch basketball on TV. I'm in my 60's, I don't play basketball any more but I do golf. So my interest lies in golf. I also watch basketball, baseball, football and a little hockey. I watch golf. I will give you the fact that the ladies aren't as good as the men but I'm still a golfer so I watch golf along with whatever else strikes my fancy at the time. My point being, almost everyone who golfs, no matter what age group should support golf. Be a member of the USGA and support all venues. percentage of people watching golf on TV who are golfers are probably in the 90 percentile. Number of basketball players that watch basketball are probably around 10% when compared to the masses that are watching basketball.

I'm actually one of those that likes playing basketball, but couldn't care less about the NBA or the WNBA. there are too many egos in the NBA and frankly the game is boring when comparing it to the college game.

You are right about non-golfers watching golf. Before I got into golf, I was wondering why the hell anyone could watch this stuff, so boring. Most everyone I know don't play golf and think golf on tv is the funniest thing ever. obviously, they don't appreciate the game like you or I do but the point is that a lot of non-golfers not only don't watch on tv, but many will even give a little chuckle like "Golf is the most boring sport ever" when you mention it to them.

I actually enjoy watching little league baseball and so do millions of others or it wouldn't be broadcast as it is.

Good for you...nothing wrong with that. I didn't say that people don't watch it, or that it is not good. But it is definitely not on the same level, and if someone is going to devote some of their TV time to watching baseball, they are probably more likely to watch a MLB game over a little league game......just the way that most people that are going to watch golf, are going to watch the PGA Tour. I'm not saying all people have that preference, but for whatever reasons have been stated in this thread, most do. Hence the lack of support for the "lesser" tours/leagues/whatever.

We all can't sit at home and watch every golfing event from Thursday thru Sunday, so we are forced to choose. Most people are going to choose to watch the PGA Tour...that's THEIR preference. Arguing that we should all start watching and supporting the LPGA tour is a bit ridiculous. I watch golf, hockey, football, a little basketball, the odd baseball game, some racing events, etc. That's a lot of sports...I can't possibly watch multiple leagues playing each sport, so I watch what I personally find the most enjoying. If you find the LPGA more interesting because of how they play, or you just have the time to watch both the PGA and LPGA, then that is awesome...but each to their own. Maybe the question in the thread title is not great, as there is no "problem" with women's golf...just reasons that it is not supported as much as men's golf. People are providing reasons why they devote their time to watching the PGA tour over the LPGA tour and that's just the way it is...there is nothing to argue about. Some watch it because they are more entertained, some because they feel the golf is at a higher level, and some just because they are guys. All legitimate reasons becasue that's their opinion. It's a vicious circle out there. You're not as popular so you don't get the coverage, but you have a hard time getting more popular because you don't get the coverage. Who knows, maybe if a network like CBS picked up the LPGA for a couple of years the popularity would sore...but of course they are not going to take that risk, so the LPGA is kinda stuck.

In my Datrek Rage bag:
Driver: Sumo 5000 w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
4-Wood: SasQuatch 2 w/ Diamana Stiff
Irons: AP2 4-PW w/ PX 6.0
Wedges: Zodia US Spec 52*, Yururi Gekku 57*, 588 DSG RTG+Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style 3.5 or Odyssey White Hot Tour #1Ball: ProV1 or whatever I find!

I'm actually one of those that likes playing basketball, but couldn't care less about the NBA or the WNBA. there are too many egos in the NBA and frankly the game is boring when comparing it to the college game.

There is possibly a good example of a sport where the lower tier, if you will, may actually be more popular to a large number of people. I don't watch a lot of basketball games, but I bet I watch more college ball then NBA. March Madness is exciting and the players just seem to have more intensity. I'm not sure what coverage is like outside of the big tourney, but even up here in Canada there is a lot of buzz in March. I hardly ever hear people talking about the NBA up here.

In my Datrek Rage bag:
Driver: Sumo 5000 w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
4-Wood: SasQuatch 2 w/ Diamana Stiff
Irons: AP2 4-PW w/ PX 6.0
Wedges: Zodia US Spec 52*, Yururi Gekku 57*, 588 DSG RTG+Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style 3.5 or Odyssey White Hot Tour #1Ball: ProV1 or whatever I find!

• Administrator
I'm not sure what you define as "typical" but they place plenty of pins around the edges, and just as with the PGA the greens run pretty darn quick in the major events and the rough is thicker and longer than most courses.

Uhm, in order: no, no, and no.

I've been to four different LPGA events (on multiple occasions) and in none of them were any of the things you said true. I also watch them every chance I get on TV, like you. The greens are typically about 10-11 (and closer to 10 most of the time). Even at the U.S. Women's Open the greens are much slower. Just wait until they play Oakmont next year - compare the setup for that course with how the men played it. The flags aren't "tucked" at all. The few times they're within a few paces of the fringe they're away from the big trouble on the hole: a severe shaved bank, a deep bunker, etc. The rough is nowhere near as long as for men's events. Even for state or the occasional local/city championship. This thread's not about LPGA course setup, though, so let's stick to topic. You watch women's golf and don't seem to have a problem with it. Opinion noted.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not sure what you define as "typical" but they place plenty of pins around the edges, and just as with the PGA the greens run pretty darn quick in the major events and the rough is thicker and longer than most courses.

Dude, pass the doobie to the left-hand side. Or however that song goes. Whatever it is, I want some of whatever you're smoking if you watch women play golf and actually think that they're playing a setup which is even close to that of the men (except the length). Not even close: slower greens, flags towards the centers, and little rough. The courses are often softer than the course's club championship!

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All of this is beginning to degrade the womans game a little bit..lol. I dont watch must womans golf at all, but i know they're still good and they can play. They just cant perform the type of game that male pros play.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I actually enjoy watching little league baseball and so do millions of others or it wouldn't be broadcast as it is. Let's talk a little about the comparisons that are being drawn here. One in particular is the WNBA vs. LPGA. The huge difference I pick up on immediately is this; Almost everyone on this blog and almost everyone that watches golf of any kind is a golfer. Most people that I know that are not golfers wouldn't waste 10 minutes watching golf on TV let alone going to a tourney. How many of us by comparison, men and women are basketball players or aspire to be? Sure there are the teens at the park and some adult pick up games around the country and I'm sure that most all of those folks watch basketball on TV. I'm in my 60's, I don't play basketball any more but I do golf. So my interest lies in golf. I also watch basketball, baseball, football and a little hockey. I watch golf. I will give you the fact that the ladies aren't as good as the men but I'm still a golfer so I watch golf along with whatever else strikes my fancy at the time. My point being, almost everyone who golfs, no matter what age group should support golf. Be a member of the USGA and support all venues. percentage of people watching golf on TV who are golfers are probably in the 90 percentile. Number of basketball players that watch basketball are probably around 10% when compared to the masses that are watching basketball.

Not to get too far onto a tangent, but only the LLWS is televised. If little league baseball were otherwise broadcast I don't think interest would be very large.

More to the point I think you nailed the reason women's golf isn't more popular. Any kind of golf on television has limited appeal to nongolfers and given the choice, most golfers watch the men instead of the women. About three years ago the women's game was better than it is now. Annika and Karrie Webb were still to be reckoned with, Ochoa was an emerging talent, Se Ri Pak still popped her head up as a top player sometimes, and Wie hadn't become annoying yet. Now on the top of the women's game Ochoa is invisible this year and most of the rest of the top 10 are young, young players who aren't at the peak of their skills yet.

Good for you...nothing wrong with that. I didn't say that people don't watch it, or that it is not good. But it is definitely not on the same level, and if someone is going to devote some of their TV time to watching baseball, they are probably more likely to watch a MLB game over a little league game......just the way that most people that are going to watch golf, are going to watch the PGA Tour. I'm not saying all people have that preference, but for whatever reasons have been stated in this thread, most do. Hence the lack of support for the "lesser" tours/leagues/whatever.

I agree. Nice post.

There is possibly a good example of a sport where the lower tier, if you will, may actually be more popular to a large number of people. I don't watch a lot of basketball games, but I bet I watch more college ball then NBA. March Madness is exciting and the players just seem to have more intensity.

College Basketball is a lot more fun to me than the NBA. It basically gets CBS coverage on Saturdays from January through March and is hyped up big. The difference between the two is when they talk about a big college game or march madness I get stoked and can't wait for the games. When they talk about the NBA, meh, it's just not as exciting or there isn't as much energy behind it to me.

But the one difference I think between it and the LPGA is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

You're exaggerating, I hope...

First of all, the best college teams have 2, maybe 3 guys that could play in the NBA. Their rosters aren't "filled" with future NBA players. Second of all, there is not a single college team that could match up with an NBA team. The worst NBA team would beat the best college team handily. Dude, there's a reason we stopped sending college players to the Olympics - because they weren't good enough. Same goes for football. Last years winless Lions would beat Univ of Florida or USC. And it wouldn't be close.

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

I'm really pleased with the observations that have been presented in my thread and has shed a lot of light on many of the reasons for the lack of support for the ladies. Like it or not you guys are right on for your reasons why you can't watch the ladies because as you say "it's just not interesting to me". I'll continue to watch LPGA and give what support I can. There is no right or wrong here, just differences in what we as individuals prefer to spend our precious little TV time to watch. Not saying that your opinion of LPGA golf is right, just saying that your reasons for not watching it is understood.

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

I'm really pleased with the observations that have been presented in my thread and has shed a lot of light on many of the reasons for the lack of support for the ladies. Like it or not you guys are right on for your reasons why you can't watch the ladies because as you say "it's just not interesting to me". I'll continue to watch LPGA and give what support I can. There is no right or wrong here, just differences in what we as individuals prefer to spend our precious little TV time to watch. Not saying that your opinion of LPGA golf is right, just saying that your reasons for not watching it is understood.

They are good enough to keep my interest, but not as explosive in their shot making as the guys. They are very good players and represent a level of play most us can appreciate and aspire to.

There are always levels in sports that do not attract the crowds or press attention, but they have their following. If they wore the belly shirts and shot shorts like the Ladies European Tour players, they'd attract a larger audience. SubPar

I have never watched a PGA pro lay up from 200 yards. The other things they hardly ever do compared to the LPGA players.

hey shank, thanks a lot. it's the first time i've been immortalized in a signature before!

Hey Kris,

Love your dancing banana.

Duffy

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

Note: This thread is 5324 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!