IGNORED

GPS vs Laser Rangefinder

Note: This thread is 2512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

...Also, since GPS can't give you the yardage to the pin itself, you're introducing guesswork into the equation as well. So that +/- 3 yards gets even bigger...

again - GPS is only as good as the "map" (and clear sky conditions

). If you have the Intelligreen map for your skycaddie you can click at any point of the green 's picture and get exact measurement.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

iacas: "I'm only ever pointing at larger things (trees, lips of bunkers, etc.). Also, since GPS can't give you the yardage to the pin itself, you're introducing guesswork into the equation as well. So that +/- 3 yards gets even bigger."

This isnt exactly accurate! Sure its accurate to the lip of the bunker, but there is no way of telling how far from the hole the lip is. Sure its good enough. The GPS reading from the middle of the green would be just as good. Just my .02

How can you lock in on the flag stick at 250 yds anyway!? It is impossible for the range finder that I have to do that.. It has a pretty big target area, therefore making it hard to target really small objects such as a flag stick.. (its also tough because the slightest shake at 250 yds makes it nearly impossible) I have the Bushnell 400yd finder btw... Both are damn good tools, and would prefer the Rangefinder because you can use it for hunting and for other things too, but I do think GPS is a very interesting too, that is still being improved upon.

Titleist 983K 8.5* Prolite V2 stiff
Callaway Hawk VFT 3 Stiff
Taylor Made 16 & 21* Raylors
TM oversised irons 3-sw Rifle stl shafts
Titleist Vokey spin milled 60*Titleist Vokey 52* Tour

• Administrator
This isnt exactly accurate! Sure its accurate to the lip of the bunker, but there is no way of telling how far from the hole the lip is. Sure its good enough. The GPS reading from the middle of the green would be just as good. Just my .02

You're missing the point... I was saying "how far to that bunker" (on layups, to carry the bunker, etc.).

If I wanted to know how far it was from a bunker to a flag, I'd do the bunker, do the flag, then do the math.
How can you lock in on the flag stick at 250 yds anyway!?

You point it at the flag. It says "254" or whatever.

It is impossible for the range finder that I have to do that.. It has a pretty big target area, therefore making it hard to target really small objects such as a flag stick.. (its also tough because the slightest shake at 250 yds makes it nearly impossible)

Get a better range finder and less shaky hands? I dunno. Aim at the flag, by the way, not the stick.

Both are damn good tools, and would prefer the Rangefinder because you can use it for hunting and for other things too, but I do think GPS is a very interesting too, that is still being improved upon.

That it is.

I like range finders because they're more versatile and hassle-free.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well I played a couple rounds this weekend with starcaddy which is a pretty cool app. The best thing about it is that you can do measurements that you'd have to do a lot of walkign to do with a range finder.

I had one shot on a par 5 in particular that this worked great for, I had to layup around a dogleg up a hill and couldn't see the fairway from where my drive was, helped a lot with my club selelction. As far as accuracy everytime I was on top of a yardage on a sprinkler the reading I got on my smartphone was accurate +/- 1 yard.

I have to say however that the bluetooth gps device did have a couple problems with the software and I had to reboot the phone once. The other problem with this software package is that the maps are stupid expensive ( I played with a 9 hole demo map). I'm going to myrtle beach this week and this is where a tool like this would realy make my rounds more fun, but if I have to pay $20 for a map i'll only use once that sucks. I'm going to try to test some of the other software out there and I will report back next chance I get.

What's In The Bag
Driver: TM Burner stiff
3i Cleveland Hibore Hybrid
3-6: MX-23
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

• 3 weeks later...
Ok i've been using this for a while and it does some things great, but the real story is that even though I know the yardeges if you can't hit the shot, GPS or Laser, you can't hit the shot. One thing I do notice is that inside of 150 yards I was estimating my distances wrong and the gps help out there quite a bit.

Being able to use it as a score card is nice as well, it uploads it to my PC so I can track all my rounds and stats.

Net, net??? I'm not sure it actually loweres my score at all, but it is a fun gizmoe!!!

What's In The Bag
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

I'm sorry but this debate is cracking me up. I use the skycaddie as I only need an approx. distance. Why is this discussion so funny to me? If anyone on this board thinks that you have to have the exact, to the inch yardages, are you that good to hole out every shot? If you are that good then you don't need a putter in your bag. Last I checked today, Tiger didn't hole out any shots and he knows exact yardages. So if he can't, what makes you think you can? ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Titleist 915 D-2 9,5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist 915H 18*

Mizuno MP-4 3-PW

Mizuno MP 54* & 60*

Yes Pippi Putter

I'm sorry but this debate is cracking me up. I use the skycaddie as I only need an approx. distance. Why is this discussion so funny to me? If anyone on this board thinks that you have to have the exact, to the inch yardages, are you that good to hole out every shot? If you are that good then you don't need a putter in your bag. Last I checked today, Tiger didn't hole out any shots and he knows exact yardages. So if he can't, what makes you think you can? ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah I know what you are saying. For me it's more the fact of knowing distances to other things like hazards.

You know, you may have a reachable par 5 but to get there you have to carry water or a bunker, and to know the distance to carry would be very handy.
In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

My GPS will give me an indication of the accuracy +/- so if I don't have good reception I can at least have an idea of how off I am. I don't see how a range finder saves you time if you can't see the green, have no clue of how far the back edge is etc... I still think the GPS map is awsome for layup planning.

What's In The Bag

• Administrator

When I'm playing properly, a difference of two or three yards does make a difference. It's not about holing out - it's about being pin high or knowing the minimum or maximum allowable room for error - an extra two or three yards behind or in front of a pin can make a big difference in club selection.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

the one thing i worry about with getting any sort of range finder or GPS, is that if I have a warped sense of distance that correlates to how far I can hit my club.

I look for yard markers and all, but In the end I tend to look at the pin, or wherever i want to hit and just make a judgement on which club seems like can get me there. I think of it in yardage numbers, but honestly i have no idea right now how acurrate my numbers are in reality, but I at least know they're consistance from my perception to my club.

I'd imagine i'd have a bit of learning curve if i did get one of these gadgets.

I'm terrible, but i have fun.

In the Bag:
Taylormade r580XD 10.5° Reg flex
3 + 5 wood - Dunlop graphite shaft parts from a set3-pw - Dunlop set that looks sorta like ping I3's (i'm sorely in need of an upgrade.)LW/SW/GW - Adams black 52, 56, 60 degree wedges.Putter - Ping Karsten Anser 34"Bac...

I've been mulling over the possibility of purchasing either one of these items, seems like the rangerfinder might be better for my application. Any thoughts on one that works fairly consistently for the "budget minded" individual?

In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

I've been mulling over the possibility of purchasing either one of these items, seems like the rangerfinder might be better for my application.

My range finder has been indispensable in lowering my handicap over the years. One of the essential elements of good scoring is knowing how far you hit each club with a given swing. I use my finder at every driving range to verify the distances and when I am playing it gives me comfort to know the exact yardages to the flag or to hazards. It is like having a caddy with a good yardage book.

Markers on courses are usually pretty good, but when you have a deep green and a pin that may be a little back or a lot back, there can be a 1-2 club difference. It also helps me learn to estimate distances on my own when I cannot use the finder, like in most tournaments. If I have a tournament coming up at an unfamiliar course, I try to play a practice round and use the finder to make a yardage book. My Bausch & Lomb is spot-on to any distances I need for golfing. I played with a guy who had a GPS and my finder was always within a yard of his readings.

I think I will go with the Sky Caddie, its size being the main reason. I can see great value in either, but I feel the Sky Caddie would be easier to use and therefore be something I use all the time. God I hate yardage markers.

My club just added GPS to all our carts and in just a few short weeks, I have found myself starting to rely on it for club selection. I do not like that. I prefer to play without it because I can see whenever I go to a course without it, I will have created a problem for myself. Does anyone else have this problem? Several of the guys at my club have bought handheld rangefinders so when they go elsewhere, it is portable.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

The main reason I went with a GPS solution is a that I use a Cingular 8125 (aka HTC Wizard) which is a windows mobile 5 device whith touch screen and a QWERTY keyboard. All I needed to get GPS going was to buy a $85 reciever and the software (there are tons of packages but i'm using starcaddy for the measuring features). The great thing is that even if you don't have the map you can use it for your score card/stats tracking. I have played with ppl using the skycaddy and they seemed to like it. Believe it or not i've never even played with anyone who I have seen using a range finder. 99.9% of people just walk off yardage from a marker. I think my confidence has improved knowing yardages of bunkers, front/rear of green, water front/back. It allows me to make a much more fearless swing I would imagine a laser range finder has the same effect.

What's In The Bag

• Administrator
My club just added GPS to all our carts and in just a few short weeks, I have found myself starting to rely on it for club selection. I do not like that. I prefer to play without it because I can see whenever I go to a course without it, I will have created a problem for myself. Does anyone else have this problem? Several of the guys at my club have bought handheld rangefinders so when they go elsewhere, it is portable.

I don't have this problem, no - because I have my range finder with me at all times, yes.

I have a sky caddie. After reading all of the coments in regard to gps and Laser, I feel some of the users are missing the point. The best benifit I found was at the range. I was disapointed but found it quite valuable how far I was hitting each club. As most of us will find out, you don't hit that club quite as far as you always thought. Anyone with an index 15 or more will benifit on learning the correct distance they hit a ball with each club. I do like my sky caddie, but do see where a laser would be helpfull on a course.

I don't rely on cart mounted GPS units when I play at courses that have them. Too often they give a yardage waaaay different than a sprinkler head marker. Sometimes the GPS will read, say, 148 yards and I'll move the cart up a foot or two and the GPS will read 144. All that does is puts doubt in my head.

In the bag:

Callaway Big Bertha 454 9* w/ Aldila NV 65-S shaft
Callaway Big Bertha 3-Wood
Titleist DCI 981 irons Cleveland 588 60* and 64* wedgesOdyssey White Hot #5 center shafted putterBridgestone B330/Callaway HX Tour balls

Note: This thread is 2512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!