IGNORED

GPS vs Laser Rangefinder

Note: This thread is 2490 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sonocaddie does not require a subscription. Just pay for the hand held device and all course downloads are free. I love mine.

My tax dollars paid to put the damn satelites in orbit and now they want me to rent them from Sky Golf?I DON"T THINK SO,It is a scam.My son is in the Navy and on Subs for the last 15 years and he tells me that if you buy the software the satelites are free.We should not pay twice for the damn things.And that is the biggest reason I own a bushnell laser,

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My tax dollars paid to put the damn satelites in orbit and now they want me to rent them from Sky Golf?I DON"T THINK SO,It is a scam.My son is in the Navy and on Subs for the last 15 years and he tells me that if you buy the software the satelites are free.We should not pay twice for the damn things.And that is the biggest reason I own a bushnell laser,

yeah... my igolf doesn't charge a subscription to "use" the satellites... you only pay if you want to download courses that they mapped, and that is because they physically have to go out and walk the course. After your subscription expires you can still use all the sats and all 100 courses you downloaded.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I just used my Garmin GPSMAP. Yea, I had to mark the holes and such, but the big thing for me is knowing the distance to the center of the green.......once I get better I might worry about front/middle/back........
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

• 2 months later...
I have a Callaway LR 550 laser rangefinder by Nikon. I have used it three times and I really like it. It gives accurate distances in an instant. Most importantly, it has built in image stabilization like video cameras. If you hold down on the button it will scan the distance to various objects for 8 seconds. It has automatic shut off, so you can point and shoot, get distance and put it down without worrying about turning it off. It is waterproof as well. There is not much in the way of reviews online since it is new this year. I was considering the Bushnell Y2 tour, but I did not like the fact that it did not have image stabilization, was not waterproof, and did not have a scan feature. Does anyone have any knowledge of the Callaway rangefinder?

I tried the GolfBuddy from Golfgalaxy. It worked great for 3 holes and then the screen froze. I had to power it down and power it on again. This happened two more times so I gave up on it. It took some time to aquire the satellites. I like the idea of GPS but basically, they are computers, therefore I purchased a Callaway LR550 rangefinder. It is quick, acurate, and simple.

I have both the Sonocaddie XV2 and the Bushnell Tour V2, and as mentioned previously, each has its own merits.

Some Observations Based on My Own Usage :

• The rangefinder is slightly more precise when compared to a GPS unit that has been accurately mapped.
  • The rangefinder is more versatile for pinpointing targets "on the go" (e.g., that tree over there, that bunker up there, that hot chick in the short skort back there, etc)
  • The rangefinder is more convenient in the sense that you never have to worry about having a specific course downloaded.
  • The rangefinder is more convenient in the sense that it is "point and shoot" - no learning curve, no menus, no multiple buttons.
  • The GPS is more convenient in the sense that it can be clipped to your belt and viewed without unzipping your bag, aiming, shooting, etc.
  • The GPS is more convenient in that you can view the distance to multiple targets at a glance (assuming your GPS has that capability)
  • The GPS can measure the distance of your shot (assuming your GPS has that capability)
  • The GPS does not require a line-of-site.
  • The rangefinder does require a steady hand, but the new vertical models are easier to stabilize, and with Pinseeker (Bushnell)/PinHunter(Leupold)/First Target Priority (Nikon/Callaway), you can get an accurate reading even though the crosshairs are shaking (which they will be).
  • The GPS does occasionally give incorrect readings.
  • The GPS does not always have the courses mapped.
  • Mapping with the Sonocaddie is a fairly simple process, but it does add time to your round and it does "take you out of your game."
  • I have never had any problems with the downloading process for the Sonocaddie.

I have been contemplating picking up either a SkyCaddy or Bushnell Range finder. With the SkyCaddys, do you have to pay a yearly "subscription"? I was leaning towards a range finder, because I am really only concerned with getting accurate yardage, and would like being able to see how consistent my distance is off the tee without guessing or relying on miss-markings. Any info or opinions are appreciated.

I bought a Bushnell at the start of this year and haven't been disappointed. I'm just looking for yardages from this off centre spots and it works just fine.

What's in the bag
Big sticks Ping Rapture V2 9° Fusion FT-3 3-Wood, 3,4 Hybrid

Irons Ping I10 5-GW
Wedges Cleveland RTX 54° Spin Milled Vokey 60°Putter Redwood Anser Titleist NXT Tour 1500 rangefinder

I have been contemplating picking up either a SkyCaddy or Bushnell Range finder. With the SkyCaddys, do you have to pay a yearly "subscription"? I was leaning towards a range finder, because I am really only concerned with getting accurate yardage, and would like being able to see how consistent my distance is off the tee without guessing or relying on miss-markings. Any info or opinions are appreciated.

If you do a search on this topic, you'll come up a ton of threads, especially on the different models of GPS units. And, if you ask this question to 100 people (on which one you'll get) it would run 50-50.

I can only offer you my opinions. I've played with both. Both have advantages, both have disadvantages...it all boils down to personal preference. Myself, I went the GPS route (SkyCaddie). As a 12 handicap, 1-2 yards difference (if it happens to be inaccurate) isn't going to make a bit of difference to me. The SkyCaddie does require a yearly subscription, and they have (going from memory) three different options: home region, nationwide and world wide. I opted for the nationwide because with vacations, golf trips, etc I play a lot of different places. I'd have to dig out the paperwork but I believe my National plan was $49.95 or there abouts; basically the cost of a box of premium balls. I've played with a lot of guys who have range finders, including one just last week on vacation. I can't tell you how many times he said "I can't get a reading on it" or it would lock onto the wrong thing and read 437 yards when he was about 135 out. It was picking up a tree or something. Or, if it was a blind shot, he couldn't get a reading of the flag. With my SkyCaddie, I walk up to my ball, glance down and immediately know front/middle/back yardage and go from there (after looking to see where the pin is). I've only come across one course that wasn't professionally mapped, but even it had been submitted to SkyCaddie. Yardage was accurate on the "one star" reading (all SkyCaddie courses are listed by a ranking system, with 4 stars being professionally mapped). Yardage was right on that course but it didn't list bunkers/etc. Didn't bother me a bit. Like I said, it's going to come down to personal preference. If you decide range finder, doubt you'll get much argument in going with Bushnell. If you choose the GPS route, you'll get a lot of difference in opinions on SkyCaddie, GolfLogix, uPro, etc. Search the forums for many threads on that. Good luck.....

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+  Grips:  PURE Pro

Thanks for the responses guys (and sorry for adding to the thread clutter, IACAS). I think I am leaning toward a range finder, so I can know distances to bunkers, bends, etc. I dont expect either one to work perfectly all the time.

I have used both and really like the GPS because you know the front and back distances on the green as well. GPS is pretty handy

09 Burner 9.5* Stiff

.......MP 001 3w Stiff
.......CLK FLI-HI 3(20*) & 4(23*) Hybrids
.......4-PW MP60 DGSL 300's Stiff SVT 52* Wedge Vokey Spin Milled 54* Wedge CG10 Black Pearl 60* Wedge XG White Hot #1 Putter ProV1, Prov1x, NXT Tour Aerolite III Stand

GPS is obviously easier to use and is pretty user friendly... especially if you take a cart but then you have to worry about the local courses mapped around you.

I like a rangefinder because it lets you zap objects in the fairway to determine when a dog turn kicks in and what not. If its windy you'll need a pretty sturdy hand to keep focused on the flag/stick

I wish they made the bushnell rangefinder with a lithium battery, 9 volts are not cheap

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

I have used both and really like the GPS because you know the front and back distances on the green as well. GPS is pretty handy

I use the Golflogix. . .I was also contemplating a laser range finder before I bought this. It seems quicker. . .heck, its just hanging there and I look at it, one click of a button to find the distance to the bunker, etc., etc. Range finder has to be taken out, aimed, etc. etc.

GPS just seems more practical for me.

I was a chip & a putt away from buying a laser finder...then someone on the forum said that it isn't legal in play with tournaments if it had slope. that was the only reason that i would've went range finder over gps so you can get a truly accurate distance. But my gf got me the sonocaddie for my birthday this year and it's AWESOME!
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

• Administrator
Thanks for the responses guys (and sorry for adding to the thread clutter, IACAS). I think I am leaning toward a range finder, so I can know distances to bunkers, bends, etc. I dont expect either one to work perfectly all the time.

No problem - Harry posted the URL, so I was able to quickly merge your "clutter" thread into a previous one.

I was a chip & a putt away from buying a laser finder...then someone on the forum said that it isn't legal in play with tournaments if it had slope. that was the only reason that i would've went range finder over gps so you can get a truly accurate distance. But my gf got me the sonocaddie for my birthday this year and it's AWESOME!

The slope function has nothing to do with getting a "truly accurate distance." I'm not sure what you mean by that. The range finders without slope (in addition to costing less) still give you the same yardage. They just don't guess at what the yardage will "play like."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Got my 1500 w slope and I love it

909 D2 10.5* Diamana stiff
909 F2 15.5* Diamana stiff
909 h 21*
909 h 24*
MP-57 5 - PW Project X 5.5 stiff Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Putter Black Series 1 Sumo Bag GX1 and uPro GPS

• Administrator
Got my 1500 w slope and I love it

Are you not good enough that you ever foresee yourself playing in any sort of tournament (or rich enough that you can afford the non-slope version when that time comes)?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2490 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!