IGNORED

What are your top 3 drivers for a high handicapper?

Note: This thread is 3158 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My thinking often runs counter to the pack. Here is a little different idea. Your best driver might be a 3 wood. Its shorter, easier to hit straight, and more forgiving. Your more likely to keep it in the fairway. Its just a thought but a driver is a long club and that makes it much harder to hit straight. IE Errors in your swing are increased as the shaft gets longer. I don't know how long you have been playing, but many golfers tend to think their problems will be solved with different clubs, rather than first taking some lessons, getting some practice in, and trying to improve their swing. You'd be amazed at how good a score a good player can post with just one club.

PrairieParson
From Lubbock, Texas: the Heart of Flyover Country.
Ping G-15 Driver 12 deg.
Mizuno MP-33 Irons
Ball: White, mostly round and lots of dimplesScores this year: 78

I would definitely take a good look at the 07 Taylormade Burner. It is forgiving enough to get started with, but workable enough that once you get better the forgiveness won't hinder you from working the ball when needed. They're only 150 bucks or less everywhere now also. I play a burner and I will keep using it till it breaks. What a beast of a driver. If you want maximum forgiveness though maybe look into a square driver or a hibore xls or monster. My dad has an xls and it's great for him cuz it's very forgiving.

In my White/Red/Yellow Monza Featherweight Stand Bag:
Driver: 07 Burner 9.5* stiff
3 Wood: 07 Burner 15* stiff
5 Wood: 07 Burner 18* stiff
Irons 4-AW: r7 steel shaft stiffWedges: RAC Satin 56*, 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 35 InchBall: Bridgestone e7+, Titleist Pro V1Shoes: D3000Glove: ...

Taylor Made Burner is a great club for high handicappers. They seem to hit it a pretty long way, and the stock shaft is very light.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

My top 3 would be

1) Taylormade Burner (cheap, gets the ball up, good distance)
2) Ping G10 (Easy to use, good distance)
3) Nike Sumo (Very forgiving, good distance)
In my Warbird Hot Stand Bag:

Driver: R9 420cc 9.5° stiff
3 Wood: Burner 07 Fairway #3 Stiff
5 Wood: Burner 07 Fairway #5 Stiff3 Hybrid: Burner 08 Rescue #3 StiffIrons: MX-25 4-G Project X 5.5SW: CG12 STD bounce 56° Black PearlLW: CG12 STD bounce 60° Black PearlPutter: California...

The best drivers for high handicappers are:

Ping G10 or G15
Ping Rapture V2
TaylorMade Burner or R9
Nike Dymo STR8-Fit (Regular and Square)
The Callaway FT-iQ

I would recommend at least 10.5* - although a more lofted club will impart more backspin, thus reducing the effects of a fade/draw.

I used to have a chronic fade...and struggled with the driver...

I went for the Dymo2 in 11.5* loft...and I'm loving every minute of it!

i just got back into golf and was looking at drivers. just like you i am a high handicapper still. i went with a 07 burner driver stiff flex with 10.5 degrees. took it out to the range after demoing it at a golf store and every shot i kept slicing. so instead of complaining/getting pissed off and spending more money on a different driver i signed up for lessons with a PGA Pro in my area. after 1 one hour session he had me hitting the ball straight as an arrow. since my first lesson my swing and overall flight path as improved 10 fold, i think i went from driving the ball around 150 with my severe slice(when i say severe i mean the flight path looked like it had a right angle, it was a tree and house magnet) to about 230-240 straight. granted i do still have some shots where i have that slice reappearing but its definately related to my swing and not the club and its more of a push/fade than the right angle slice i had before.

so my advice invest in some lessons along with that new driver to cure that slice! or just go get lessons with your 3 wood for now, cure your slice then go shopping. it will make the driver purchase experience more exciting since you should be hitting the ball straight no matter which driver you are demoing. go to pga.com and click on the pro finder to find one in your area, then meet with that instructor to see if it will be a good match and money well spent.

http://www.pga.com/profinder/

good luck.

oh not sure if you have an edwin watts store near you but the ones down by me still have/had the 07 burner's available so did sports authority and i believe dicks sporting goods does. or there is always ebay. i purchased mine from ebay brand new for $139.99 no tax and free shipping. the seller was carlsgolfland.

In my Bag:
Burner 460 Driver 10.5deg stiff
Burner #3 Fairway Wood 15 deg stiff
MP-68 Irons with Project X 5.5 Shafts & Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound Grips
Spin Milled 52.08, 56.11, 60.07 Wedges White Hot XG 2-Ball SRT Putter

1) Ping G10, G15
2) Callaway FT-i, iq
3) TM R9 460
4) Mizuno MX-700

I know that's 4 but I hit that MX-700 a few times and I was really impressed. Note you could just find yourself a used R7 460 (see sig below )

What's in my bag?
Bigger Sticks....: Driver: ping.gif G15 9* Fairwayping.gif 4-wood  Hybrids: 4,5  taylormade.gif Rescue Dual
Smaller Sticks...: Irons:  ping.gif G15 5-PW Wedges: titleist.gif Vokey Wedges 48, 52, 56 degree
Flatter Stick......:  odyssey.gif 2-ball putter
Not a Stick.........: Ball:  titleist.gif Dt So/Lo or NXT Tour  Bag:  taylormade.gif Catalina clicgear.gif

I'm pretty happy with mine. I got it on a clearance sale for around a $100 and for that price it's a steal.

Driving is the one part of my game that stays pretty consistent and good and I think the square tech + whatever other magic they put into this club is why.

In my bag:
Driver: HiBore XLS (9.5*, stiff, gold shaft)
Irons: FP II 4-GW
Wedges: mp R series 56/13 588DSG 60*
Putter: Unitized TiempoBag: ADIDAS Velocity

I was reading somewhere that the Nike 5900 Squared driver was the most forgiving driver ever... I dont remember where I heard this.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

Thanks for the replies guys. After reading your suggestions I have a lot of clubs to start testing. The Ping G10 and G15's seem like a favorite in this thread so I'll definitely spend some time with both of those.

I've been spending the last few months hitting bothing but irons 2-3 days a week working on my swing and my iron game has greatly improved. Almost all my shots go about where I want them and it's made this game so much more fun. Now that I've got my iron swing down, I've just started to work on hitting with my 3 wood. This week has been great though because now that I put an emphisis on swinging more in to out (instead of chopping out to in like I used to), my slice is gone. I actually started to play around with trying to fade and draw the ball yesterday at the range. Now that my swing is finally started to come together I feel more confident in trying out a driver and actually getting to use in on the course.

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone. I'm excited to test out some drivers later on today :).
Irons Callaway X-22 4-9
Wedges Callaway X-22 PW, GW, SW
3 Hybrid Adam's A4 19*
3 Wood Nike Sumo SQ
Putter Odyssey SabertoothBag Ogio Grom

For the high handicapper my favorite driver is easily, um, any quality 3 wood that you can control. More times than not, the driver is just going to get your into trouble. Hit a 3 wood until you get some control and consistency in your game then start hitting a driver. I still find that some of my best golf is played when I leave the driver in my bag. Case in point; 69 this morning. Didn't hit my driver once.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

• 5 years later...

Perhaps you don't need a driver at all. I built a club called a "Thriver". The head is made by Acer, is 14 degrees loft, 460 cc and weighs the same as a three wood, so it assembled to three wood length. I put a Graffaloy Pro Custom shaft in it. Easy to hit straight. I am a 63 year old 20 handicap with two herniated discs. I hit it about 200 yards. Total was about $100. Anyone can glue a shaft in a head, trim to length and put a grip on. Look at the Hireko Golf site. Be careful though. You might get addicted to club building!

• Upvote 1

Perhaps you don't need a driver at all. I built a club called a "Thriver". The head is made by Acer, is 14 degrees loft, 460 cc and weighs the same as a three wood, so it assembled to three wood length. ...

@Sheekamoo ,

Consider the "Thriver." Here's the take on it from GolfBlogger: http://golfblogger.com/hireko_thriver_driver/

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by blamo123

Perhaps you don't need a driver at all. I built a club called a "Thriver". The head is made by Acer, is 14 degrees loft, 460 cc and weighs the same as a three wood, so it assembled to three wood length. ...

@Sheekamoo,

Consider the "Thriver." Here's the take on it from GolfBlogger: http://golfblogger.com/hireko_thriver_driver/

His last post was over 5 years ago according to his history.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

I have a 34 handicap.  My new driver is a Ping G30 SF TEC.  My driving has really improved and I hit a lot more fairways.

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G Red Dot +1/4" irons - 6,7,8,9,W,U,SW, LW
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

Note: This thread is 3158 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!