IGNORED

Say NO! to gps/yardage computers

Note: This thread is 5323 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I feel the yardage computers take away from the game. The fun is to look at the markers and think, maybe easy 6 or a 7. I have to also say I'm '"real" tired of my golf partners looking a their I phone or other yardage computer and spending WAY TOO long analizing their shot. As you can probably can tell I think yardage computers are a NO GO!

I'm sure I going to receive a lot of negative responce on this post but keep in mind, Golf is an old game with old rules not a new tech like a "video " game. Leave the computers at home and take your clubs. Leave your yardage computers at home. Are you not man or women enough to play without a computer????

Enjoy the game like the founders

Rick
DRIVER Titleist 909D2 UST Proforce AXIV Tour Black 79
HYBRID Titleist 585H 17* 21* UST Proforce V2 100
FAIRWAY WOOD Titleist 906F4 15.5* UST Proforce V2 85
IRONS Mizuno MP33 Rifle 6.0 Flighted 7-PW
IRONS Mizuno MP57 Rifle 6.0 4-6WEDGES Mizuno MP R Wedges 52* 56* 60* Rifle...

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoy the game like the founders

You mean hit a leather bag stuffed with feathers with a carved stick?

No thanks!

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

I feel the yardage computers take away from the game. The fun is to look at the markers and think, maybe easy 6 or a 7. I have to also say I'm '"real" tired of my golf partners looking a their I phone or other yardage computer and spending WAY TOO long analizing their shot. As you can probably can tell I think yardage computers are a NO GO!

What driver do you use? What wedges? Putter? Ball? Give it a rest guy.

It's faster to use a GPS or laser than it is to search for a sprinkler and pace off the yardage. That's what better players did before the electronics were legalized by the ruling bodies. I played in the first round of the Men's Club Championship today with a guy who was living in the stone age. He took two to three times as long to get ready to hit as the other 3 of us with our toys. By the time we got to the back nine he was a convert and was asking for yardages, and just incidentally, he was playing faster too.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Let me guess. most of you guys are under 30. You younger guys think tech can help with eveything,. Try to enjoy an old game as it was ment to be played. the computers are B***T

IRONS Mizuno MP57 Rifle 6.0 4-6
WEDGES Mizuno MP R Wedges 52* 56* 60* Rifle 6.0 flighted
PUTTER Scotty Cameron Davis Love Newport
HOME COURSE Woodland Hills CC (est 1925)

Look at this guys clubs and tell me he has anything to do with the gameplay of the founders...New technology in clubs does way more to the game of golf than gps idiot.

In my Grom:
R9 460 Aldila RE-AX 60g Stiff
07' Burner 3 Wood Stiff
09' Rescue 2 and 4 Stiff
09' Burner 3-PW Superfast 85 Stiff 09' Vokey Spin Milled Black Nickel and Oil Can Wedges 50,54,60SeeMore Putter Pro V1 2.0 SG 2.5

I'm with the OP. Actually I don't care what YOU do, as long as it isn't slowing things down (but I do think GPS can) but I spend enough time looking at a glowing rectangle at work or home, I don't want to when I'm golfing.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Let me guess. most of you guys are under 30. You younger guys think tech can help with eveything,. Try to enjoy an old game as it was ment to be played. the computers are B***T

See you on the course!

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

But you're OK with frequency matching, metal woods, and irons with a cavity?

Obvious troll is obvious.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I'll give up my laser when you switch back to hickory shafts, if you are such a fan of the game "as it was meant to be played". And I'm not under 30, I'm 53.

:tmade: 09 Burner
:cobra: Speed LD F 3 wood
:cobra: Baffler 20 degree hybrid
:cobra: Baffler TWS 23 hy
:ping: G15 5-UW
:snake_eyes: 56 deg SW 
:snake_eyes: 60 - 12 wedge  
:scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2

You don't think people back the pre gps had exact yardages. Caddies. Now everyone has access to that knowledge, and to disregard that is pretty stupid.

Or you're trolling.

What I play

Driver: 907D2
Wood:960 15*

5 Wood: 960 18*

Irons: Titleist 735 Cm 3-PW

Wedges: CG16 60* and 52*

Putter: Nike Method

You mean hit a leather bag stuffed with feathers with a carved stick?

nice!

What driver do you use? What wedges? Putter? Ball? Give it a rest guy.

more valid points here!

You don't think people back the pre gps had exact yardages. Caddies. Now everyone has access to that knowledge, and to disregard that is pretty stupid.

I would gladly trade my gps for a good caddie, but I have only been to a handful of courses that still have caddies.

Also, I bet the OP rides a cart when he golfs as well... that technology is OK, along with the other technology others have pointed out that he uses. Walking (which fits with tradition) is one of the reasons I started using GPS in the first place. I have been to a few courses that have GPS on the carts and thus don't feel the need to have yardage markers... how f-ing annoying if you're walking, thankfully I have a GPS. Also, what is faster... 1) pacing off yardage after searching for sprinkler heads or yardage markers, then accounting for green depth (if available) OR 2) quickly looking down to see yardages to everything I need on my handy GPS. Just a note: I'm 29, never even take my cell onto the course, generally don't have fancy gadgets on my cell phone to begin with, am not all that into every single tech toy out there, BUT... I WILL use technology when it is BETTER than the old way and makes life easier. For instance.... 1) I like my ipod 2) GPS navigation is nice 3) cell phones are handy... but I don't need the camera, keyboard, games, or apps 4) digital cameras are nice... I like having photos on disk rather than in albums 5) I'm pretty happy not to have to rewind and FF VHS tapes and cassettes
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Club technology has "nothing" to do with computer technology and yardage GPS. Please don't tell me that a GPS is the same as 460cc drivers or cast vs blades. Why are you saying my bag is b***t I think my combo as nothing to with computer tech. I'm sure I'm starting a flame but with you tech/computer guys, Golf is not a tech thing it's a great natural game. Yes, tech helps the sport but it's still the swing and swinger not the computer that determines easy 6 or full 7

Looking forward to the your fedback, really

ok i can see two points here
i do have to agree w the OP, that GPS has taken some of the fun out of golf and the feel of the game
i too was a GPS beleiver...shot the worst golf of my life w it
since not using it, my game improved significantly

BUT....he is not trying to say ALL technology has bad
yes, we all agree that new tech. has made the ball easier to hit and so on

really though, shes all personal opinion
some guys like em, some dont...to each their own
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

ok i can see two points here

wait what ... no? you can't just pick and choose. What a douche thing to say? lol that's like saying "yah man !! im going to go run the boston marathon! i really want to get back to the basics and participate in an experience like none other !!!!! but i really think im just going to go in roller skates because well .... i mean it helps, but atleast im not driving so it's totally still the same as running !" give it a rest.

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

I feel the yardage computers take away from the game.

I'm sorry but I don't have a caddie walking the course for me and marking every yardage, hazards and green slopes for me. It's about information not technology. The technology enables the information to play better and have more fun. I'll keep my rangefinder and GPS rather than walking around aimlessly until I find a sprinkler head then walk it off.

In my Ping Hoofer:
Ping G30 10*

Ping G25 4w, 3h

MP 33 5i-PW

Mizuno MP T-Series 53*, 58*

SC Studio StyleNewport 2

Club technology has "nothing" to do with computer technology and yardage GPS. Please don't tell me that a GPS is the same as 460cc drivers or cast vs blades. Why are you saying my bag is b***t I think my combo as nothing to with computer tech. I'm sure I'm starting a flame but with you tech/computer guys, Golf is not a tech thing it's a great natural game. Yes, tech helps the sport but it's still the swing and swinger not the computer that determines easy 6 or full 7

Golf is CLEARLY a tech thing. Club design, if I'm not mistaken, is almost all done with CAD and other similar software packages.

I assume you are against video based swing analysis, too? Club technology has done more to change the game than GPS technology ever will. GPS is an advancement of the yardage book. And it is much, much closer to that old technology than new clubs are to their predecessors. GPS will not cause courses to push back the tee boxes or grow out the rough in order to counter it. In fact, many courses have embraced GPS technology because it speeds up play, even for the weekend hacker. Seriously, buddy, I'm a relative luddite when it comes to small gadgets and even I think you're just being an ignorant fool.

Note: This thread is 5323 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!